Madeleine McCann: Police To Dig For Evidence

"Portuguese authorities have approved Met Police plans to dig for evidence in the resort where Madeleine McCann vanished in 2007.

Forensics officers will use ground penetrating radar equipment to search at three sites in Praia da Luz.

Sky's Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt, speaking from the police investigators' base in Faro, described the move as a "breakthrough" in the investigation.

He said: "We don't know exactly where the digging will take place and it's not an operation that's being launched on new information.

"It appears that there is information that was given to the Portuguese over the past seven years that indicated that there might be evidence to be found at certain locations.

"We think one of them may be the beach area and another may be around the apartments where Madeleine was last seen.

"It is a breakthrough and it really will launch a new phase in the investigation because this will be the first time that we will see Scotland Yard officers on the ground, not just talking to Portuguese police but working with them in the search for perhaps more tangible evidence."
Last week, Kate McCann told Sky News she needs to know what happened to her daughter even if it was the "worst case scenario".

She said: "Madeleine's either alive or she isn't and we can't change that.

"Obviously our hope is that she's alive and being well looked after but regardless of the outcome, we need to know. We all need to know."

Madeleine disappeared from the apartment she was staying in with her parents and two siblings on May 3, 2007. She was three years old at the time she vanished.

In April, police revealed they were investigating five new cases in which young British girls were sexually abused during holiday home break-ins in the Algarve."

More on Sky News- http://news.sky.com/story/1256070/madeleine-mccann-police-to-dig-for-evidence

NB - please be careful what you say - her 'caring' parents have previous for suing people who cast aspersions.

The bastards.

Please god, let them find her, and the evidence to bang the perpetrators up for life.

No tangible suspects, no-one questioned under-caution, yet they're still digging to find a body?

Bizarre to say the least.

Edited to add, it sounds like a Police Force under pressure (again) or it must be holiday time. Why not get the Portugese to dig?

It's just coming up to summer. I do hope Scotland yard are acting on proper leads, as opposed to pushing for a buckshee few weeks in the sun.

And I don't for one second believe the parents had any part in whatever happened. They'd have been under surveillance of many sorts, many times and something would have come out by now.

Something has just occurred to me. It may be old news, but I've only just thought about it.

While I would be very happy if Madeleine was still alive, and hopefully happy..................

If she was discovered would she be returned to her parents, or would there be pressure groups/social services calling for the child to become a ward of the state due to her being abducted (if that is what happened) after being left unattended by her parents.

No tangible suspects, no-one questioned under-caution, yet they're still digging to find a body?

Edited to add, it sounds like a Police Force under pressure (again) or it must be holiday time. Why not get the Portugese to dig?
No tangible suspects, eh? Madness, I tell you.

madness.jpg

Amazing really, the police forensic geeks apparently can find a dead body under several feet of rubble, old flipflops, used condoms and associated beach waste, yet my paperboy can't find my front door!

Amazing really, the police forensic geeks apparently can find a dead body under several feet of rubble, old flipflops, used condoms and associated beach waste, yet my paperboy can't find my front door!
He knows exactly where it is, but 'Sarah's Law', your Probation Officer and 'that Register' means he won't come anywhere near it!

Last edited:
No matter what anyone's thoughts are on this subject I could not imagine for one second, if one of my own daughters went missing, how I would cope with 'not knowing', it must be the worst feeling ever.

They get to spend the summer digging a beach in Praia da Luz at the UK taxpayers expense.

We don't know exactly where the digging will take place
but

We think one of them may be the beach area
.... yet my paperboy can't find my front door!
Maybe he's scared of the evil Celtic wood deity behind the door.

So where exactly are the police going to dig?

Has new evidence come to light suggesting that MM has been buried anywhere or is it all speculation?

Spank it.
The 'not knowing' is the easy part. The 'knowing what could have' is the tougher way to look at it IMHO. The mind has the capability to provide ever worse scenarios on a constant basis, whether the parents are awake or asleep.
Indeed the brain can even play the devastating trick of providing a dream that Madeleine is back home safe and sound. Just imagine waking from that dream and then searching the house in hope!

If she was discovered would she be returned to her parents, or would there be pressure groups/social services calling for the child to become a ward of the state due to her being abducted (if that is what happened) after being left unattended by her parents.
If she were ever to be found alive then the media driven facebook era court of public outrage wouldn't allow anyone to keep her from her parents.
In the eyes of the Sun and Express readers the parents are completely without fault in this whole sorry tale.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
something about this whole affair has smelled worse than a tramp's jockstrap from day one.

still, you have to admire the parents resolve not to let it get them down as they jet from one location to another in 'the search for maddie'.

S

syledis

Ive always said from day one that if she wasnt dead and the wrong people snatched her , then it would have been better if she was it would have been a living hell for her.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It is very difficult to imagine pertinent new evidence coming up as this distance from the abduction. With most of these cases they find the kid in the first few days, find them dead or don't find them at all. I suspect the only way we'll find out what happened is a death bed repentance or similar as the conventional evidence trail went dead years ago.

Wordsmith

As said. Not knowing would be the worst. I hope she's alive and well somewhere if not then some kind of closure.

Edit to add. Even if it means some kind of closure to the never ending Maddie threads ...

Last edited:
I believe the technical term for Police Operations of this nature is 'clutching at straws'.

I believe the technical term for Police Operations of this nature is 'clutching at straws'.
Let tme finish that for you.

"I believe the technical term for Police Operations of this nature is 'clutching at straws in a very potent but fruity Fruit Daquiri on a lush sun-kissed beach on a rare day-off bewteen playing sand castles"

If she were ever to be found alive then the media driven facebook era court of public outrage wouldn't allow anyone to keep her from her parents.
In the eyes of the Sun and Express readers the parents are completely without fault in this whole sorry tale.
I wouldn't be so sure.

If she were found alilve and returned, then the scope for litigation for libel/slander would be diminished. A few righteous Social Workers and/or Child Experts would relish the chance to make their name by defining the McCann's parenting skills.

As I mentioned on another (now deceased) thread, all the litigation cases brought by anyone connected with this case have been successful against the relevant paper/news oulet, so dissent is muted by fear of 6-figure payouts

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Sick Jokes 2
C Sick Jokes 2
Hat20 The NAAFI Bar 3