Made in England

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by crossthepond, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of your No.5mk1. This is the third one I have owned and the best. It has a wonderful bore and shoots superbly. I use it hunting whitetail deer.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. What crimes have the deer committed, or are they a threat to National security?

No.9

3. None, they are blameless and taste good.

4. More than can be said for Al-Qaeda I suppose. But then they’re liable to shoot back.

No.9

5. Myth Legend has it that the No 5 rifle had a tendency for the 'Sights' to wander in service use.
    john

6. Not something I have observed in the three I've owned. But I try not to get them too hot. My guess is that in a steamy jungle the shortened fore end wood might warp and press the barrel in a bad way. Just a guess as it gets right steamy here and I've never had any wandering zero.

they are excellent, sturdy arms that make quick kills on game.

7. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

What's the kick like as compared to SMLE and No 4?

8. Bizarre, we were talking of this very rifle in the pub last night. Curiously I was a big fan but another, more knowledgable, chap suggested they were less accurate. However he is a big fan of the MLE and SMLE Mk III so might be biased!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Give yourself 10 pressups for leaning a rifle up against anything!
    And another 100 as I have just sold my service rifles and I'm tetchy!

10. It's not a bad kicker at all. It has a distinctive report which is sort of a "CHOOM", but the actual recoil is only a tad more than a NO.4. Not really noticeable. If you have a heavy shirt on and some ear plugs you can fire it all day quite happily.

This is my only Brit arm at the moment, but I do have a nice Hi Power on lay-away down at the gunshop, which has British "FTR 1963" markings. Should have it to show off in a few weeks.

These WW2 era (the J.C. is actually a 1946 Fazakerly) guns are still available and fairly affordable over here. At the current exchange rate you guys could clean up on these guns.

The J.C. is my very favorite excepting a few handed down from my Pop. You folks should be proud; I am dam proud for you for certain.

When my brother and I get together for shooting or hunting we are basically awestruck over our Lee-Enfields. And proud of the hand James Paris Lee had in it as well! LOL!

11. Point taken over leaning the J.C. up against the barn wall. No Septics were harmed in the making of these photographs! Regarding accuracy vs. the No.4 or SMLE, of course with the shorter tube the velocity is less (around 2200 fps vs. 2440 w/ the full length barrel). Correspondingly the trajectory is a bit steeper which makes hits at any distance more difficult. But the basic accuracy is just as good. One trades trajectory and sighting radius for ease of handling/less weight to tote. Which is not a bad trade for 99% of use.

Attached Files:

12. My understanding of the "wandering zero" is that the lightening of the receiver
    was the chief culprit. The unbalanced of milling the receiver coupled with the
    rear locking bolt led to the accuracy problems. Why they bothered I don't know as the weight reduction acheived seems minimal.

I haven't shot mine much past 200 yards but at that distance it is definitely on a par with my No.4s and the SMLE.

Nice one, by the way, and if not import marked, quite valuable too.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The wandering zero was started as a myth by the WD who didnt want to replace the No4 with the No5. Seeing how we had 2 million No4 rifles and we really didnt need to rearm and the troops returning from the Far East thought the No5 to be a better rifle. The distance issues would have been cleared up by recalibrating the rear sight but it was a typical UK compromise, shortern the service rifle instead of issuing a new one or buying US made carbines and adding to supply issues.
    This was all done early on in the war when the No4 was already accepted for service, it does show forward thinking. The real problem was the .303 cartridge which was by then already out of date but wars dictate what you fight with rather than the other way around.

14. ROF(F)? Would that be Fazackerly?

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yes, you can also tell the year from the serial no prefix.