Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made in Britain - post products and companies here

Yokel

LE
Do Willkinson still make swords ?

I think they were taken over by a company called Firmin, but keep the Wilkinson name for marketing purposes. Do you think that they will send me some freebies if I write to them and tell them of my brand loyalty since I started shaving?

Sir - in my late teens I realised that I needed to start shaving - and I purchased one of your razors. Since then I have used no other...

endure

GCM
I think they were taken over by a company called Firmin, but keep the Wilkinson name for marketing purposes. Do you think that they will send me some freebies if I write to them and tell them of my brand loyalty since I started shaving?

Sir - in my late teens I realised that I needed to start shaving - and I purchased one of your razors. Since then I have used no other...
If you tell them that you use Wilkinson to behead your enemies they might send you a free sword.

They also made cap badges, well REME ones

Yokel

LE
If you tell them that you use Wilkinson to behead your enemies they might send you a free sword.

Or someone else like a Judge might send me to Broadmoor! Perhaps best avoid that exact course of action.

They also made cap badges, well REME ones

They produce bayonets too - and I am not going to ask for a free one either.

I am disappointed that nobody recognised a classic joke from Pears' Cyclopedia.

Last edited:
I drove a few of those as MT vehicles. Just a couple of issues. It wasn't the cars fault but previous users.
Agree, not something that we can blame the manufacturer for. When we disposed of ours I kept an eye on the ex-military vehicle sales as one of them was, IMHO, a particularly good buy - but sadly did not see it advertised in the sales.

Same Northern Ireland rugby players represent Ireland? Same way as Bushmills make Irish whiskey.

It’s the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain refers to the largest island of the British Isles, which contains the United Kingdoms of England and Scotland and the principality of Wales.

The second largest island is Ireland which contains the Republic of Ireland and the province of Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the union which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The term Britain is sometimes used to refer to the United Kingdom as a whole. Several definitions are clear that is incorrect; Britain is short for Great Britain.

None of this really mattered last year. However, thanks to the Brexit and the NI Protocol, it does now.
The United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Ireland) came into existence with the union of the two kingdoms of Great Britain (itself a union of the two kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1707) and Ireland in 1801 (Wales is a principality of the old Kingdom of England), its current borders and name (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) came into effect in 1922.

The people of the UK are British, they are British citizens as defined by the 1981 British Nationality Act, hence citizens of Northern Ireland are very definitely entitled to British citizenship (some reject this entitlement) and are regarded for the purposes of British law as British and the territory of Northern Ireland is most certainly British territory (if it wasn't the British government has some explaining to do about Operation Banner for 36 years).

The people of Northern Ireland are also entitled to Irish citizenship, that is a matter for the government of Ireland, it is of no concern to the UK government other than the fact that under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement the British government acknowledges this right. They can of course describe themselves, their rugby teams or their whiskey as "Irish" if they like, it is of no relevance to their legal status as British citizens or the legal status of the territory of Northern Ireland as sovereign British territory.

None of this is changed by the circumstances of Brexit (yet). Northern Ireland remains a part of the United Kingdom, it just has different trade and import regulations.

"Britain" is a largely meaningless term that has no constitutional, legal or international significance, it is shorthand, what it is shorthand for (the UK, Great Britain, England) is anybody's guess and has no validity outside of tedious internet debates like this.

The United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Ireland) came into existence with the union of the two kingdoms of Great Britain (itself a union of the two kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1707) and Ireland in 1801 (Wales is a principality of the old Kingdom of England), its current borders and name (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) came into effect in 1922.

The people of the UK are British, they are British citizens as defined by the 1981 British Nationality Act, hence citizens of Northern Ireland are very definitely entitled to British citizenship (some reject this entitlement) and are regarded for the purposes of British law as British and the territory of Northern Ireland is most certainly British territory (if it wasn't the British government has some explaining to do about Operation Banner for 36 years).

The people of Northern Ireland are also entitled to Irish citizenship, that is a matter for the government of Ireland, it is of no concern to the UK government other than the fact that under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement the British government acknowledges this right. They can of course describe themselves, their rugby teams or their whiskey as "Irish" if they like, it is of no relevance to their legal status as British citizens or the legal status of the territory of Northern Ireland as sovereign British territory.

None of this is changed by the circumstances of Brexit (yet). Northern Ireland remains a part of the United Kingdom, it just has different trade and import regulations.

"Britain" is a largely meaningless term that has no constitutional, legal or international significance, it is shorthand, what it is shorthand for (the UK, Great Britain, England) is anybody's guess and has no validity outside of tedious internet debates like this.
or just post the copy and pasrte

I guess the core issue is; would a product made in Northern Ireland be branded “British Made” or “Made in Great Britain”. I don’t think it would. It might be branded “UK Made or “Made in the United Kingdom”. Could be “Made in Northern Ireland” or “Irish Made” if that was advantageous. The whiskey example is a good one; no-one sane would brand a Northern Ireland made whiskey “Made in Britain” as the whole point is to trade on its “Irishness”.

Brexit does complicate this. The UK CA (Conformity Assured) marking can only be used for products sold in England, Scotland and Wales (ie Great Britain)

Goods for sale in Northern Ireland have to be marked CE or CE UKNI depending on who assures them. They cannot be exported to Ireland carrying UK NI.

In short, it’s not that simple!

I guess the core issue is; would a product made in Northern Ireland be branded “British Made” or “Made in Great Britain”. I don’t think it would. It might be branded “UK Made or “Made in the United Kingdom”. Could be “Made in Northern Ireland” or “Irish Made” if that was advantageous. The whiskey example is a good one; no-one sane would brand a Northern Ireland made whiskey “Made in Britain” as the whole point is to trade on its “Irishness”.

Brexit does complicate this. The UK CA (Conformity Assured) marking can only be used for products sold in England, Scotland and Wales (ie Great Britain)

Goods for sale in Northern Ireland have to be marked CE or CE UKNI depending on who assures them. They cannot be exported to Ireland carrying UK NI.

In short, it’s not that simple!

There was an official Product of Northern Ireland logo at a point which featured a Ponys head (PONI geddit?).

Yokel

LE
ARRSE keeps showing me adverts for Green Oil Tanks.

We sell the famous green bunded and single skin oil tanks direct to both consumers and to trade from our UK manufacturing plant in Nottinghamshire, England. All of our tanks are made in the UK and come with a market leading 12 year manufacturers warranty with any Oftec Approved Engineer installation.

Yokel

LE
Protolabs answers call for new door entry system

An innovative new door entry system for the smart phone generation has hit the market after a prototype developed by Protolabs went into full production.

The 516v from The Entryphone Company – launched in 2021 – has been designed as a sleek, modern wall–mounted entry phone which is ideal for high-end city-centre dwellings. It shows users a full colour image of the person at the door and boasts touchscreen controls to open the door, switch camera views or mute the caller.

----

Entryphone is a family business formed in the late 1950s as a designer, manufacturer and installer of door entry systems. The last 60 years has seen a great deal of innovation in this area and Entryphone has been at the forefront of this advancement. The company has a facility in Wandsworth where most of its products are designed and made.

Yokel

LE
World's First Mobile Charger With Radiation Protraction Developed At Silverstone Park

SME Angel Electronics has located to Silverstone Park’s Innovation Centre to launch its pioneering SleepHalo™ product that it says safely protects against human absorption of radiation from mobile devices.

The technology is scheduled to start selling on Amazon’s UK pages imminently, with plans to then roll it out across the online shopping giant’s European, USA and Middle Eastern platforms.

“The idea was in response to my wife’s migraines at night-time,” explained Angel Electronics founder David Clark.

Yokel

LE
Has anyone been watching the late night ITV programme Made In Britain?

The episode I saw the other day (or was it last night?) featured a company making scissors by hand - tailors' scissors. There was another company building pianos, and then a baker making Eccles Cakes, and a company making saddles.

I guess tailors' count as small business, and the other things are bought by individuals.

Last edited:

Latest Threads