Mad FOI requests about 1RTR in Hong Kong in the Cold War

jim30

LE
The website 'what do they know' is a great means of identifying different FOI requests (we all need a hobby!). Having a look at it earlier I came across this little gem filed a couple of weeks ago from someone who clearly shows the argument why we need an NDM...

"Dear Ministry of Defence,
I would like an official report as to why army married personnel
were housed in Chungking Mansions, Nathan Road, Kowloon in 1966 and
thereafter. I served there at Sek Kong in !966 with 1 RTR.
The accommodation was disgusting. Infested with rats, cockroaches
and termites, no fire escapes and was a drug centre for local
addicts. Whilst there my son contacted dysentery and worms, we had
a major fire and were lucky to escape to another roof. My place was
burgled and my weeks wages stolen. Which MOD Dept chose such a
place for families?

(https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/married_quarters_in_kowloon_1966#incoming-541687)

The whole correspondence goes on with all manner of crazy requests and strange suggestions about conspiracy and the like. It turns out the same guy has put about a dozen FOI requests in this year all trying to get totally obscure information on his cold war years. I don't know what 1RTR did to this guy, but quite clearly they traumatised him for life!

The whole site is a goldmine of mad FOI requests from people asking the most ridiculously random questions ever about UFOs, Freemasons, 9/11 and so on, and yet they still get official responses that are properly answered. Perhaps a competition is needed to see what the most random FOI request into MOD could be that elicits a genuine answer and how long it could be spun out for, or is that the job of the Opposition?

There was some bloke on here whose name I forgot (although I got told off for posting his FOI links on ARRSE) that was constantly asking about the numbers of Homo's in the army. Even when the reply came back that they couldnt answering them fully he altered the question and tried again.

I wonder how many millions it costs answering these people.

It's a great idea Jim, perhaps after some intelligent answers you should put in a request to transfer this into the NAAFI bar where more reasonable questions could be put fourth - I have a few myself.

The whole site is a goldmine of mad FOI requests from people asking the most ridiculously random questions ever about UFOs, Freemasons, 9/11 and so on, and yet they still get official responses that are properly answered. Perhaps a competition is needed to see what the most random FOI request into MOD could be that elicits a genuine answer and how long it could be spun out for, or is that the job of the Opposition?
One of Nick Pope's successors was a cracker, can't remember her name but when she got calls she'd wear them down with the sympathetic patience of a mother doing her knitting.

"Really? You don't say? Oooooh, that's terrible etc...etc"

The website 'what do they know' is a great means of identifying different FOI requests (we all need a hobby!). Having a look at it earlier I came across this little gem filed a couple of weeks ago from someone who clearly shows the argument why we need an NDM...

place for families?

(https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/married_quarters_in_kowloon_1966#incoming-541687)

The whole correspondence goes on with all manner of crazy requests and strange suggestions about conspiracy and the like. It turns out the same guy has put about a dozen FOI requests in this year all trying to get totally obscure information on his cold war years. I don't know what 1RTR did to this guy, but quite clearly they traumatised him for life!

I wonder what his ARRSE user name is?

The flats in Chungking Mansions weren't that bad ['64]. A mix of married pads from different units and let's face it, a terrific posting.

That site does show us one weakness of the system - it's relatively easy to have a loon designated 'vexatious' when his/her requests are directed at one department (e.g. Richard Card to Kent Police), but someone like 'Nick Panchaud' who has submitted the same FOI request about mis-fuelling of vehicles to 838 authorities, ranging from SIS to Stock Parish Council, suggests it is possible to cost the public purse quite a lot without being told to eff off.

In my early career it was easy to play 'Spot the loony'- Green biro was a dead giveaway, but so was sending letters written on cornflake packets or with little illustrations in the margin- usually of black helicopters, UFO's and so on.

Unfortunately, with email, all the FoI requests now look fairly sane- until you realise the same person has asked the same question dozens of times, and you realise he's scratching an OCD itch at home with his underpants on his head.

Not forgetting our own ALVIN latterly know as AIR_FILTER.

I think they are two different people but ALVIN was the one requesting FOI (So up yours @Graculus )

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer

place for families?

Surely you could find a more rewarding hobby; collecting Antique Ashtrays springs to mind! Reviewing FOI requests to find the 'strangest' sounds like too much work for too little return.

I want to know if the FOI will tell me if JFK is still alive and kept in some locked ward in some obscure military hospital in Americky. I was told this by an American serviceman in 1973, and he was quite adamant that Kennedy was still alive??

An interesting hobby to bother the government with some of my ramblings......lolo :excited::love:

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
The flats in Chungking Mansions weren't that bad ['64]. A mix of married pads from different units and let's face it, a terrific posting.

Yep, Chungking Mansions was only built in 1961 and from what I've read quite a DesRes at the time, although now it's like Mogadishu, Islamabad and Tower Hamlets mixed together.

D

Deleted 4886

A great place for a curry on a Friday night. Not sure why RTR guys would have been in there as the unit was at Sek Kong IIRC.

D

Deleted 4886

Well I thought I'd take this serious and have attached a couple of picture of the RTR in Hong Kong in the 50s. Parade is 7 RTR on Nathan Road in Kowloon in 1953. The other is of 1 RTR in Sek Kong in the late 50s, just before converting to Cents (can't find any pics of that). Sarry Can is at the Museum of Coastal Defence (http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Coastal/en_US/web/mcd/aboutus/introduction.html.)
RTR1 (Small).jpg
RTR2 (Small).jpg
hong-kong-museum-of-coastal (Small).jpg

place for families?

Hmm.. with the current and often lucrative penchant for "compensashun", one has to wonder if its not someone trying to climb on that particular bandwagon. After all if "ickle" female RAF recruits can sue, successfully, for hurting their precious selves by marching with a 30" pace as opposed to the prescribed 27" pace, anything would appear possible.

Latest Threads