macron brings back national service (but only 30 days)

Macron brings back national service after 20 years Macron brings back French national service after 20 years | Daily Mail Online

Not a bad idea. Gives the young a mark of passage, an experience in other people and in the forces and doesn't really impact too much on life.
You have got to be joking, surely? Trying to babysit a bunch of recalcitrant teenagers who have absolutely no personal investment in the enterprise, and only have to last it out 30 days. Not to mention the bns' worth of clerks you will need to deal with the admin, impact statements, special pleading cases, no-shows, legal challenges etc etc. Utter bollox.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You have got to be joking, surely? Trying to babysit a bunch of recalcitrant teenagers who have absolutely no personal investment in the enterprise, and only have to last it out 30 days. Not to mention the bns' worth of clerks you will need to deal with the admin, impact statements, special pleading cases, no-shows, legal challenges etc etc. Utter bollox.
Job creation, both conscripts and administrators.

Thinking of the lay of the demographic landscape and general bolshyness of the French I guess there will be a huge line for the exceptions queue, but instead of claiming to be gay to get out of national service there now it will only be necessary to yell ALLUAH AKBAR (that spelling is way off I am sure but you get the picture).

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
French National Service

Day 1 - 10 Wearing a stylish uniform
Day 11-20 Law of Armed Conflict and rights of POWs on surrender
Day 21-30 Theory and Practical Collaboration

1518545984043.png

You think?

Nice way of collecting fingerprints and DNA samples of the whole population along with identifying some potential talent that may never have considered a career in Govt service.
Im inclined to think that it is a waste of time and resources, however the deviousness of your suggestion is crafty indeed.

Good luck to the Frogs trying to get the Mooslamics into the service.

Unless they get issued with rayguns.

Ditto the druggies, punks, lefties, anarchists, SJWs, snowflakes and the offspring of the wealthy.

Does the French Military have a recruitment problem? Anyone know?

Im inclined to think that it is a waste of time and resources, however the deviousness of your suggestion is crafty indeed.
Instant national database. No waste of time there are agencies and corporates that would kill for such a database.

And, thank you for the compliment.:)

French national service was scrapped by Chirac in 1998 and replaced with a compulsory one day attendance on a defence and citizenship course. On turning 16, every French citizen must register him/herself at the local town hall and a call up paper will be sent. You attend the course between ages 17-25 and are given a certificate attesting your attendance. This certificate must be produced when enrolling at university, civil service exams, applying for your driving licence etc.

La fête des conscrits (conscription fete) is still popular in the countryside, when school leavers hold a big party in the village.

My middle child declared his attendance on the course as "the most boring day of my life" :lol:

Defence and Citizenship Day (France) - Wikipedia

Macron brings back national service after 20 years Macron brings back French national service after 20 years | Daily Mail Online

Not a bad idea. Gives the young a mark of passage, an experience in other people and in the forces and doesn't really impact too much on life.
I don't think that's going to be of much use if the yoof are only going to serve 30 days (presumably after training) You'd like to at least get a full 12 months out of your bods I would think. :? Even when we had the draft we had a 2 year Active Duty commitment. (Even Elvis managed to bash that out.)

Elvis in the Army.jpg

You think?

Nice way of collecting fingerprints and DNA samples of the whole population along with identifying some potential talent that may never have considered a career in Govt service.
Also a way of collecting information on potential enemies of the state. If your name is Mohammed and you decline to serve, your cards are marked Monsieur.

Many years ago French youngsters were able to get exemption from national service in the armed forces if they worked for French companies, particularly banks, and I had the misfortune of working with one in New York. The utter contempt with which these cream of French youth were regarded by my American colleagues, many of whom had served in either Vietnam or Gulf War 1, was a joy to behold.

Many years ago French youngsters were able to get exemption from national service in the armed forces if they worked for French companies, particularly banks, and I had the misfortune of working with one in New York. The utter contempt with which these cream of French youth were regarded by my American colleagues, many of whom had served in either Vietnam or Gulf War 1, was a joy to behold.
My brother who worked for a French bank in London had a few of these foisted on to him. Couldn't wait for them to head back across the Channel.

You think?

Yes, I do think (that the whole concept is a shallow political play to the country).

Firstly, you have to hope that most turn up. Secondly, that those who do report agree to the collection of DNA and, thirdly, that no more than 2/3s don't fail the French version of CDT.

The five remaining 'recruits' then have the rest of the day to fail the fitness test/medical.