MacBook Pro Display Defective

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by changingmag, Dec 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A cry for help to any geek who might have a bright idea. Mrs CM's MacBook Pro went tits-up the other day, only 1 week after the warranty ran out. The Apple store have had a look and pronounced: Display is defective.
    To fix? A mere 500 euros.
    I'm a little miffed; such a problem coming only a week post-warranty smacks of British Leyland... but you buy Mac to avoid this shit (at least in theory).
    Paying 500 euros is certainly cheaper than a new machine.

Is there any wisdom within the whole of Arrse (see what I did there) that could suggest a get out of jail free card?

2. msr

msr LE

How long was the warranty valid for?

3. Could be the same problem as with the earlier MacBooks. Apple had this thing about using ball bearings as contacts between the main board and the graphics chip, instead of soldered connections, so the chip wasn't properly fitted.
    The good news is the bearings were essentially little solder balls, and the problem could be sorted by using a blowtorch on the graphics chip for approx. 15 seconds.

The problem could also be the connection between the display and the base unit. If you're getting something on the screen, switch it on, then give the lid a couple of taps/nudges.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

As MSR asked how long was the warranty for?

A warranty is only part of your consumer rights, you have others..

Have a quick look at:

Citizens Advice - Faulty goods - if you want a repair or a replacement

whih basically says if a responable person thinks that an item should last 5 years then if it breaks down before then you have a right to a repair although the cost may increase in relation to the age of the product.

So an item only just out of warranty should be quite cheap to have fixed, assuming you didn't have a hugely extended warranty.

Always worth quoting the Sale of Goods Act 1979...usually gets shop managers twitching.

S_R

p.s. noted you mentioned euros, so the above is UK specific but there should be very similar legal framework (it is a european thing) for the country of purchase.

5. msr

msr LE

That's what I was angling at. Mind you if the repair is priced in Euros, I can't see the Sale of Goods Act being much help....

6. Two years. There was the 'extend your warranty' option but due to the typical move every 2 - 3 years we missed it

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

quick update.

Read the following - applies throughtout the EU.

ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf

S_R

8. Sadly it's sitting in the workshop in... somewhere not UK... so can't try. To be honest, starting to lose faith. Thoughts much appreciated as there are several Macs across the family. The best is the one I am currently using (iBook G4) except no software upgrades are supported. I've taken the machine on Ops and I'll probably leave it here. Sad.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

as far as I am aware you can still replace the screens on these for about 80 quid and an hour with a set of screwdrivers. that's providing it's the screen and not the graphics chip or the inverter.

there will be instructions on the web on how to split the lid and get the screen code, stick that in ebay and see what comes up, the make doesn't matter as they all use screen from half a dozen suppliers and often you can use a different coded one if its compatible. I would check the code though incase you have one which is on the change between backlighting as the led screens are wired differently. I've been cause out that way with dells

ask for it back regardless. you can allways turn it into a desktop by using a standard monitor. they probably didnt touch it just looked at it then plugged an external screen in to see if it was the graphics or not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. This +1111.

Also, 500 Euros would buy you a proper computer. A whole one. That just works.

• Like Like x 1
  11. But it wouldn't look the same in Starbucks... would it?

• Like Like x 3
  12. I will post this sticker to you.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. changingmag; Will try to give you a serious answer, my husband has a G4 that has twice had a display failure. The first time he was seen off by an Apple repairer for a considerable amount. The second time our local chief of police told him of a company in the UK who sent him a replacement screen for around 80 Euros.

Details as follows:
    Accupart Ltd
    James Anthony House
    1 Lyons Road
    Trafford Park
    Manchester
    M17 1RN
    Phone: +44(0)845 459 7165
    Fax: +44 (0)161 241 4861
    Email: website@accupart.co.uk

One of our local computer geeks fitted it for him in 10 minutes in exchange for "Photoshop " lesson and a glass of "Green Fairy"

Hopefully I have been of some use
    Emsav

• Like Like x 5
  14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there's loads to choose from but make sure you split the screen lid first as its too easy to look for a spec and order it up, it should work blind but sometimes not and the costs of shipping replacements back and forth gets annoying. I don't know enough about mactops to hazzard a guess but they are all built in roughly the same way

most ship from hong kong/china anyway but you can localise your search to whichever EU country you're in, I shan't assume you're in germany unless you say so.

15. I am shocked that such a highly praised device that has great technology and software would suffer such a thing. Say it isn't so! My faith in that technological masterpiece called apple has been damaged...oh woe oh woe

Now where is that sarcasm smiley?