Mac OS upgrade

Hello all,

I need to take a MacBook from Leopard to Snow Leopard as I need to load up a citrix app from the app store. Thereafter I'll probably wait until Mountain Lion shows up.

Problem is, the upgrade needs a CD and the silly jap's-eye CD drive built into the mac doesn't work, usually no biggie as it's never used.

So my question is, can I load up the new OS using an external USB CD drive or will this not work? Thanks!

T

Tinman74

Hello all,

I need to take a MacBook from Leopard to Snow Leopard as I need to load up a citrix app from the app store. Thereafter I'll probably wait until Mountain Lion shows up.

Problem is, the upgrade needs a CD and the silly jap's-eye CD drive built into the mac doesn't work, usually no biggie as it's never used.

So my question is, can I load up the new OS using an external USB CD drive or will this not work? Thanks!
My Mac book air doesnt have one and works fine with an external DVD drive so I don't think it will be a problem.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Same problem here and I use an external DVD drive.

I took my old iBook from Tiger to Leopard with external drive no problem. I think it took a bit longer than expected that way but it works fine.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
but macs dont need antivirus, do they? part of what made them so special I've always been told.
Wrong, very wrong. Just read the article.

That would be akin to going from a Ferrari to an Afghan cart and would doom you to a life of viruses, shit upgrades, endless crashes and shit programming.
Not really. All you get with a MAC is an very expensive posh PC. You still get viruses that Apple spend weeks trying to sort out and shite upgrades and crashes. In other words, mutton dressed as lamb.

"Problem is, the upgrade needs a CD and the silly jap's-eye CD drive built into the mac doesn't work, usually no biggie as it's never used."

My internal CD drive on my Mac also failed, so I used a cheap external drive. No problem.
The optical drive is a known weak spot and talk is next generation will use external drives.

john

"Problem is, the upgrade needs a CD and the silly jap's-eye CD drive built into the mac doesn't work, usually no biggie as it's never used."

My internal CD drive on my Mac also failed, so I used a cheap external drive. No problem.
The optical drive is a known weak spot and talk is next generation will use external drives.

john
Shame Apple have to resort to cheap external drives instead of giving quality for peoples money.

john
Bit different than my experience with Macs. My 9 year old G4 iBook worked fine but the HD was filling up so I bought a new MacBook Pro at the PX for about $1000. Now the MacBook is on my desk and the old iBook is where I watch the TV so I cn keep track of players statistics during baseball games. (baseball fans tend to be a bit obsessive).

I have never had a problem with the drives on either with either reading or writing CD's or DVD's. Maybe just lucky but they work for me.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Wrong, very wrong. Just read the article.
I **may** have been baiting the mactards with that comment...