MA Cses - Views and where are the best places to do them ?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by machiavelli, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As it says in the title.

Having finished MK2 (a certain amount of smugness allowed) i must now do the MA modules.

Is it worth doing them in order ?
    Is the 6 month delay between them enforced ?

Where is the best place to do them ? In terms of the Craic and the quality of the instructors ? ( i have heard Dartmouth is worth the flog)?

Views much appreciated.

2. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I didn't do them in order and that caused no problems whatsoever.

I did have more than 6 months between 1st and 2nd and only 1 week between 2nd and 3rd! Once again, no problems.

Ref where to do them:

Chelsea - don't bother - poor instructors (my opinion) and course is spread out all over London

Deepcut - OK - good instructors - craic OK (obviously depends on who else is on course!).

Ref craic, be a touch careful, you do get some work to do in the evening and it can be a little embarassing the following morning when you are the one in a small room reeking of ale etc etc

3. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Edinburgh - great on the lash, Catterick Instructors.

dpm

4. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

On the basis that I had more MA in one year than leave, I'd say enjoy as much as possible. I had a great time on all 3 with hoods from Bn and elsewhere, and the DS are not out to stiff anyone with bad reports.

Clearly, if you kick the arrse out of it you may fall out of favour, but so long as (just a little) common sense is applied...

dpm

5. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fair call - I phrased it badly. All I was trying to imply was don't kick the arrse out of it.

6. Beware the Sandhurst academics.

Some of them have little in the way of a sense of humour. Rarely true of military instructors (although it has been known).

Go for somewhere you know the course is going to be lodged together. Beers might stimulate some 'blue sky thinking'.

6 months not enforced if you are behind the power curve for the next BL. Not unusual to have chaps do two back to back, and one I know of 3 out of four weeks!... Might hurt the brain somewhat, and allows no time for 'development' if that is suggested on a report.

(Edited once for typing slower than my brain works)

7. I did them in order and it was 'quite' useful in that in Module C there is stuff referenced that you would have learnt in A and B. I reckon you could do them all in isolation.

Catterick is good (but the course will naturally split itself between the Garrison Mess and the Infantry Mess).

Did Chelsea, too. Managed one night on the pop with the course. The officer tutor was sehr dry. Accn at Woolwich is a mare as it is far away, try and get a non-availability and stay at your club...

... you do have a club, don't you?

8. Managed to do one (Mod B) in Banja Luka, which gives a slightly realistic tinge to proceedings, esp when discussing the Kosovan Conflict!

Below is a snippet of the new policy (from DIT(A) on 27 Nov) for MA modules.

WEF 01 Apr 07:

1. Each MA module will include a written skills lesson and have a DW practical element (an essay/flagged brief and a submission/service paper).

2. Closer liaison by Officer Tutors with COs, inc the provision of a formal report on the performance of their students and areas for development.

3. The current 'air gap' of 6 months between MA modules is to be reduced to 3 months by default. However, the course report can recommend a longer period between modules for students who req more development before attending thier next module.

Hope this helps. HUAW

9. Just came across this thread whilst looking for something else and just wanted to pass on one bit of accumulated knowledge:

GO TO DARTMOUTH.

Did all 3 of my modules (B then A then C) in BRNC and as a result had a great time. The DS were fine and understood that we were all busy enough in the real world not to appreciate a week of intellectual thrashing; as a result we were not overworked. The location is great and it's always educational to liaise with the senior service. The course is normally about 50% RM and as a result not only do you get to benefit from their experiences you also get some 'hoofing wets' on the 'runs-ashore'. Whatever that may mean.

Finally, in the summer, tutorials are often held on the beach. I went in the winter and the closest I got to this was skinny dipping in the estuary at 0100 hrs (very Royal), however I suppose you can't have everything.

The other army bods I met on the 3 courses all unaminously agreed that it was a better location than any of the others they had been to.

10. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did my 3 in the space of 6 weeks - the only reason you would need to have 6 months between cses is if you need some 'development'.

I can thoroughly recommend Dhekelia - especially during summer working hours. You are on the beach with a beer by 2pm...

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did C in Dhekelia - didn't really have any time for a 'run ashore' as being bit of a thicky I was up until the wee small hours doing prep.

I'm hoping to do A and B in the new Year but being a Stab I have to wait for reserve places.

The mod I did had a senior Sandhurst Academic. A man of very robust views.