M83 vest

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by mcflurry, Dec 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the IRR properties of the M83 SADF battle jacket like? I've had a search and found a few mentions of the M83 on ARRSE, but none covering this. If it does glow like a Christmas tree, can it be treated or the like?

(The proper one, not the Viper 'reproduction')

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

3. Not sure of the IRR properties, however SADF webbing is top notch quality, even their 70 pattern webbing was what 58 pattern should've been. The point being they don't **** about knocking out shit, I'd guess it'd be the dogs dangglies.
  4. Cheers guys.

Schaden- I didn't realise it was still on issue; this one I'm looking at is dated '92-'93. I was looking at Dragon's stuff but it's out of my price league at the minute; it seems cheaper to MOLLE it (royally cock it up) myself. If I had the cash I'd ask them to make a hybrid of those two- the Springbok platform with the Light Vest's tan pouches and big daysack, and have the daysack attached with fastex clips, maybe even PLCE zips added too.

llech- What was their 70 Patt. like?
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lol it's quite funny - we all hated our pattern 70 webbing and when I used my old mans part 58 it was considered the height of ally - it certainly didn't wear out though and the grab bag for mag belts/dump bag/40mm grenade bag was years ahead of it's time.

If where you are is dry and you're not out for more than three days it's ok - far far better to go with the chest webbing and the big feck off sadf Bergman - also from varusteleka which is what I used.
  6. I have a 4-pouch M83 bergen or an 8-pouch Bateleur 90 bergen, available for the cost of the postage, if anyone's intrested...
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Mark - I'd be interested - where are you located?
  8. Schaden, I'm in Brisbane, Australia. Both bergens are complete, frames, harnesses and all (the M83 frame + harness is brand spanking) I also have 6 SADF 2 ltr canteens.
    Australia *spit* Post has several delivery options, although I'd have to investigate further...on Tuesday, after their 4-day weekend finishes, the bludgers...
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I'd be keen on the M83 - is the Bataleur based on the old external frame 100liter Karrimor?
  10. This is the bateleur 90;

Similar overall design to the M83, but with 8 x 2ltr canteen pouches instead of 4. The belt on mine has been replaced with one from the M83 harness (Christ knows why) Mine also has the internal frame, para harness, lumbar pad, the lot. A bit heavy, as you'll know, but pisses all over anything the ADF's ever issued (except SF)

Total volume is roughly 75-odd ltrs, not including the extendable collar and external attachment points for a bivi/basha, and tent poles down the sides (not visible in the pics)
  11. I'd rape for the water bottles
  12. Cheers mate, £23 quid for an unused battle jacket is a steal regardless of the postage. The most I've paid for postage was about £30 to send some hefty stuff to Canada by air.

Do you have any photos of the M83 bergan?
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Mark - pm me the costs on the 83 and I'd be interested in two of the water bottles. Plus a donation of £50 to H4H from me for your kind offer.