M83 combat jacket and ALICE pack

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Geologistsgodeeper, Apr 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey lads I'm currently TF infantry here in NZ and have a SADF M83 chest rig on its way to me (not a replica before anyone asks). Just wanted to ask anyone who has used this rig whether the pouches on the back interfere with your pack when patrolling? Seeing as I use an external framed pack I don't think it'll be much of an issue but thought I'd see if anyone could offer any insight?

Cheers.

2. Yea I was thinking that I would just remove them if it was a major issue, though I would prefer to avoid it.

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I used the set and the way it was designed is that battle jacket was supposed to be used without a backpack - say for overnight, assault, short patrols etc.

for longer patrols you had the bergen plus chest webbing - I found the bergen on the small side and the steel frame weighed a ton so used a Karrimor external frame ruck.

I then had the small pack or grootsak - packed carried in the top compartment so could drop the ruck and have essentials in what was basically a day pack together with the patrollie sak - like a modern day battle handbag.

if you're using it with a rucksack or bergen you're doing it wrong...try to get hold of a patt 83 chest webbing - they not hard to find then you have the best of both worlds - just add a daysack.

4. Fair enough, I shall look into the chest webbing in a bit