M82a1a Sasr sniper rifle vid

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Recce19, Apr 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shame he didn't wear ear defenders from earlier in his shooting career - he wouldn't need to shout so much!

2. Awesome weapon with the correct rounds....

Wouldn't want to ask for one in a hurry though....."pass me the M82 A1A Special Applications Scope Rifl.....ah fcuk it"

3. IT'S THE MARINE WAY SIR!

:p :D

4. It's the .50BMG round that does the damage.

And the septics will still be upset that the longest ever recorded sniper kill was made with something like this - fired by a Canadian! 1.51 miles/2430 metres, in Afistanshire, 2002.

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

5. "paralel vice perpendicular.." 8O

do you mean.....sideways? :wink:

6. That's what I thought as well :D

7. he ap and incendery in one round .Guess those long norwegian nights are great for coming up with mad ideas .

8. As my Pappy used to say: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.."

My uncle told me stories of shots like this from vietnam where they used to cement the M2 50 cal tri-pods into the ground and use them as long range sniper rifles from fixed positions. Perhaps those were only 2,429 meter kills.

9. IIRC, Furlong took three shots and got his Taliban target with the third. At that range, it was v. pretty shooting.

The .50BMG is really an anti-materiel "wrecking" round, but an awful lot of those carrying McMillans etc. for that ctg. seem to have been inspired by Furlong to have long anti-personnel pops.

Barrett, who seem to make an extraordinarily good living selling a lot of these kinds of rifle to US civvies, have now introduced a .416 Rigby chambering to fill a perceived gap 'twixt the .338 Lapua and the .50BMG.

Is .416 used anywhere by any army, I wonder?

See : http://www.barrettrifles.com/

10. I fired 17 rounds with my iron sighted No.4 Lee Enfield (Prone, no sling, off the elbows) at a figure 11 1000yds away. All including the first were within two metres - the 17th took it down.
    If you've got the range sorted, and can see fall of shot you should be on to the target pretty quickly. I had someone spotting for me.
    I suppose I'm a blind squirrel but I bet from the other end it looked very much like effective enemy fire!

11. That's the sort of performance that had German field grey trousers turning brownish v. rapidly in WW1, albeit with earlier L-E models. 15 aimed shots/minute, IIRC. Lovely rifles and an excellent cartridge.

I shoot Match Rifle at Bisley (Stickledown) at up to 1200 yds, using heavy-bulleted 7.62x51NATO, and - provided the wind stays steady - it is perfectly possible to keep your group centred and to approximately the size as the lethal area on a man's torso at that distance. But a touch more or less sidewind, and things do fall apart very fast.

But any intended, non-freakish one-shot hit that kills at >1200 m has got to be impressive, and one at twice that range (admittedly after 2 sighters) is pretty formidable, even with laser RF aid etc.

12. Listening to GI Joe....

The daftest bit....

So why bring it up?

I might start bring up a 155mm Howitzer shell in to my 9mm pistol SAA lessons.

He then brings it up again later when comparing the penetration of bullets on a piece of armour. One a round with only LIMITED AP and the other with a round that isn't even used on the weapon being demonstrated!!!!

13. In all honesty, I would argue any shots past 1200 meters are damn good shots.

I don't have any experience with new M82 but during a stint in an armor brigade I was tasked as division commanders counter sniper (Basically you sat on the tank and took the first round giving him time to button up).

We had old M21s, 7.62 Match rounds an ART-II Scopes. They were pretty decent rifles at the time. I can only imagine the dead weight of a 50 cal round and the crosswind affect on it being minimal.

14. Perhaps so that people know not to use it. :roll: