Builds M7 Sherman Priest mobile artillery piece 1/35th scale by Dragon

daz

LE
agreed, my technique of the week, works well on armour, might try it on other models, cars, planes and ships,

the floor at the breech would get a fair amount of wear from the crew's boots.
View attachment 475477
obviously it won't stay like this, there are several shades of Desert cam, stone slaye grey and terracotta to come.
View attachment 475478
Its been used by a great number of aeroplane modellers over the years.... cracking updates BTW

That technique with salt is rather clever, just one question, drivers and bow gunners compartment not white ?
on an open topped vehicle like the Priest from above white would show up, I know this photograph is of an M7B3 post War version, but the drivers compartment is dark green.
interior of M7B2.png

the Superstructure clamped with pegs as it dries in position.
pegs CLAMP SUPERSTRUCTURE.png

the interior is quite spacious when it's stripped out, see why these were used as APCs in WW2.
Kangaroo.png

up till now I've had no gripes with this kit, the instructions have been fairly clear, and it's not a kit for a newbie to modelling, It's not that complex either, but there's one part that has caused me to look again and again at where it fits, part A9.
problems with A9 1.png

it appears to be some kind of recuperating spring, I'm no ex gunner, my nearest experience to seeing an M7 was cleaning up the one in my black and white pictures, (check out an interesting Sherman tank story over on cars bikes and AFVs thread) where does the rear part of A9 go? The instructions are little help, and if I wanted a puzzle I'd be doing a jigsaw.
problems with A9 2.png

I looked at that drawing and it looks like it tucks under the right support leg, but there's no hole there and the part A9 has lugs on both sides. And my red arrow points at some kind of fastening not included in the kit, just peeping through in the drawing.

trawling through the internet, I can't make it out in photographs, but taking another look at the instructions shows this. My red arrow points to what could be the spring under the recuperating slide behind the breech. But there is no lug housing under there, nowhere for it to connect to.
problems with A9 3.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
trawling through the internet, I can't make it out in photographs, but taking another look at the instructions shows this. My red arrow points to what could be the spring under the recuperating slide behind the breech. But there is no lug housing under there, nowhere for it to connect to.
View attachment 475785
Is the gun in question? Might find something there of use.

Or here

The bit you were confused by is the end of the equilibrator, the noddy that holds the barrel and cradle in position.

Salt sprinkled over water painted over with a paint brush
salt technique a.png

with a light coat of Desert yellow over the salt, allowed to dry off and brushed off with a wide model paintbrush
salt technique b.png

the three piece bolt on nose
salt technique c.png

ready for some slate grey and Terracotta camouflage paint over salt.
ready for terracota.png

track breaking tools, tow gear and .50 ready to be painted by brush
tools.png

The slate grey looks good but the terracotta is a bit overpowering and not the subtle effect I was hoping for, I will brush off the remaining salt and apply the decals, tools and give an overall light coat of dust, that should bring down the contrast and blend it all in.
overbearing terracotta a.png

overbearing terracotta cpng.png

The wheels rubber solid tyres given a black wash, along with bolt heads and other details, decals, M2 HMG and the tools on the rear deck.
sherman Priest finished j.png

Latest Threads