M6 toll a failure?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Plant-Pilot, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The operators of the M6 toll have revealed that 2012 was the motorway's quietest ever year."

It doesn't really do what it was intended to.

Why is that? Too expensive? Too much of a detour? Just not popular?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. Avoid it like the plague, never used it.
  3. Used it once when traversing the area N-S while they were rebuilding the M5/M6 junction. Nice bit of (under-utilised) Tarmac.
  4. It didn't help that in an effort to recoup costs they put up the toll, which causes less people to use the toll road...

Nice business plan!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Used it a couple of times for business so get the tolls back, excellent short cut from my part of the country to the north bound M6
  6. Hardly surprising given that motorists are already bled dry with tax, fuel and insurance. Anyone watching the pennies is hardly going to shell out an extra:

Even if it saves £10 a trip on petrol (random figure) people very rarely look at it that way, instead they see it as an extra £5.50 of their hard earned getting tossed away.
  7. It`s a few years since I was up that way but it always struck me as expensive for the few miles it covered. Compare it to the French motorways and the M6 toll looks like a total rip off.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I think they hacked my satnav to try and get me on it. as usual they lose traffic so put the prices up. it was never going to work. you don't save any fuel and there are plenty of alternatives. if anything its a ball ache trying to work out how not to end up on it as the junctions are slyly planned

a bit like the humber bridge, everyone got so used to driving round to avoid the ferry queue when it did get built nobody bothered as faster roads had been built to link the rest of the country to lincs - result numbers go down and tolls go up.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The times I am driving that way I use the free bit of M6 and when I do there seem to be a lot of unnecessary 50MPH restrictions on the run.

I sometimes suspect this is done on purpose to try and push people into using the toll option to boost revenue and so making it look like a good idea for private companies to get involved in these schemes.
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

and they want to make the lot toll roads because they stole all the road fund money to pay housing benefit to rip off landlords
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Both times I've been up the M6 (and back) in the last couple of years I've used it. Never intended to, but when that fork in the road approached I just had a "why not" moment. They even take credit cards, so at the time I didn't feel out of pocket.

But there-and-back - was it worth £10 just to have a nice bit of road to myself? On one occasion, where there was chaos on the traditional M6 stretch, so perhaps.

But people aren't gonna fork out a fiver each way unless there's been an accident on the other bit, or the traffic is really heavy. After all - there's no guarantee there won't be an accident on the toll road and traffic backed up for miles. Would you then get a refund?

I think they should do away with roadfund tax and toll every major road. They can install ANPR cameras just about everywhere now - it surely couldn't take too much to add them all up and send you a bill at the end of the year?
  12. £5.50 for a car.......
  13. I've used it a fair bit. Anything to avoid driving along that mobile part of Punjab the M5/6 runs through.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. I used to use it when the toll was £3..

Not now..
  15. I've used it twice since it opened & only use the Toll when I travel North during the day but it was noticeably quiet, increased Tariffs won't help either especially as motorists will only make essential journeys where additional costs are incurred?

Stop ripping off the motorists & traffic will increase and the whole system will benefit, hardly a difficult model to resolve.