Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

M6 Motorway - WFT is going on with Speed Cameras?????

A blue light incident on the strategic road network is typically valued at £1m in government literature.

A good enforcement scheme actually generates very little money, as compliance is very high. You're absolutely right, there.

So, arguably, putting the cameras in saves money. A moment ago you were saying that this kit ain't cheap.
As part of a maintenance scheme, comparatively it ain't cheap. Hire cost is typically around £100k for 6-8 camera poles for 10-12 weeks. Which can be a fair old percentage of the cost of a £1-3 million pound scheme. Hence why you only tend to see temporary cameras on Highways England schemes and not local authority ones.

As a permanent, bought installation that will be there for 20+ years the cost over those years - peanuts.

Start off on a 300 mile trip, 56mph, tucking in that 1 mile gap inbetween a couple of plugs of lorries........ eta on the satnav - 3pm, music on, relaxed.

Drive for 150 miles like that, then put your foot down and drive like a d1ck.........eta 2:55pm

You'll probably find you've shaved off no more than 5 minutes, get there jangled up and a couple of gallons lighter.

Unless you're driving on empty roads in the middle of the night, you'll never get there much quicker........

One of the things I've noticed is that if there is a speed camera on the gantry on the opposite carrigeway, there will be one on the side I'm on. This applies to the older ones over each lane and the newer ones on the uprights.

The other thing is that average speed cameras all appear to either not work or be the 'TV Detector van' of speeding, I got a SP30 once for going over the limit in an average speed camera area - it was from a traditional speed camera van on a parallel road.
That’s not the case everywhere, so I wouldn’t rely on that. It certainly isn’t on the M1 stretch south of the M62.

Start off on a 300 mile trip, 56mph, tucking in that 1 mile gap inbetween a couple of plugs of lorries........ eta on the satnav - 3pm, music on, relaxed.

Drive for 150 miles like that, then put your foot down and drive like a d1ck.........eta 2:55pm

You'll probably find you've shaved off no more than 5 minutes, get there jangled up and a couple of gallons lighter.

Unless you're driving on empty roads in the middle of the night, you'll never get there much quicker........
Up to 4 or 5 years ago I used to do long distance trips at "70"cough mph. Always a tense journey on the look out for patrol cars and incidents ahead. Then - and I don't know why - I decided to trundle along at 70. Waaaay less stressful journeys that didn't take all that much longer.

As for driving at night. If you go long distances on the motorway and trunk road network you will almost inevitably come across night-time roadworks, sometimes even full closures that find you sent off into the sticks for a few miles.

Up to 4 or 5 years ago I used to do long distance trips at "70"cough mph. Always a tense journey on the look out for patrol cars and incidents ahead. Then - and I don't know why - I decided to trundle along at 70. Waaaay less stressful journeys that didn't take all that much longer.

As for driving at night. If you go long distances on the motorway and trunk road network you will almost inevitably come across night-time roadworks, sometimes even full closures that find you sent off into the sticks for a few miles.

I saw sense a while ago........ I drew the short straw and got the dive club ar5ehole to car share.

I was pretty tired, so I let him drive my Granada back to Manchester from Glasgow.

We pulled onto the motorway in Glasgow, and I noticed a flatbed with one of those huge fibreglass trees, they have in pub beer gardens.

He was weaving in my car,in and out of the traffic, overtaking, undertaking, I just fell asleep.

Woke up near a services near the Lake District, where he pulled over to phone his wife...... 2 phones, queue of 20, so we just drove past and out again.

There was that bloody tree, just sailing past at 50mph, so he'd driven like a twat, risked a lot of accidents to gain 4 minutes.........

Yup.

Suffered that several years ago when driving from Bristol to Northumberland at night. The A1 was closed near Catterick and diversions signs were in place to take you off the carriageway into the countryside and then back onto the A1.

I missed a diversion sign, my phone's SATNAV failed and I ended up in a housing estate in Hartlepool.

The car I had at the time was incredibly thirsty and was literally running on fumes by the time I got home in the early hours.

It is a health and wellbeing initiative. Imagine how much better everyone would feel by slowing down on say the M6 stretch through Birmingham to really have the time to admire and absorb the magnificent scenery on offer there.

It is a health and wellbeing initiative. Imagine how much better everyone would feel by slowing down on say the M6 stretch through Birmingham to really have the time to admire and absorb the magnificent scenery on offer there.
Nah, we have the monopoly on the "decent" scenery on the M6. ;)

Ohhh, I don't know, back in 89, I was held up at Dover because of bad weather for 4 hrs. Got across and drove my Sierra RS Cosworth like a lunatic thru Belgium back to Germany. I shaved a shitload of time. Mind you I had to refuel once(which pissed me off) and it was at night.

Who needs an old tyre factory. ;)
m6-tebay-c0858 (3).jpg
Lune_Gorge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_600047 (1).jpg

My father, three of my uncles and two cousins worked on building that stretch

My sisters late father in law was one of the senior civil engineers on it.

I may (or may not, depending on who asks) have passed the three miles a minute for the first time on that same lump of motorway.
I have broken down on it several times, I have even followed a snow blower with snow at car roof height on it

I'm quite sentimentally attached to that bit of motorway.

I've had some laughs and shed some tears on that stretch of the network.

Shap, the north bound carriageway always feels like I'm getting near home, despite moving to Wales the best part of 15 years ago.
Was up there beginning of last week visting my elederly mother for the first time in over a year of lockdown. First time in years the old trout has genuinely been pleased to see me I think!

For two years I travelled it twice a week to see my father, stubborn old git was supposed to die within a couple of days, lasted two years so I had to keep going.

I travelled up it at warp speed something silly after getting a call that my brother was in intensive care in the Cumberland Infirmary and wasn't going to survive. They kept him going long enough for me to get there and call him a ******.