Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

M6 Motorway - WFT is going on with Speed Cameras?????

Thread drift as I have put this in camper caper but I set my van up as a tin tent for hill walking not a mobile home and also IMHO a sink is not really required and a waste of space. Much prefer my full size bed.

A day van. It became a bit of a thing for lads at Headley Court, a few of them bought day vans (and a dog - usually a springer) and it really seemed to help with their PTSD.

A day van. It became a bit of a thing for lads at Headley Court, a few of them bought day vans (and a dog - usually a springer) and it really seemed to help with their PTSD.
Best thing that I ever had along with my lurcher. Can’t believe I have got done for speeding in it and not my Golf GTTDI. Momentary lapse in concentration on Meldon Dip . Speed crept up going downhill.

One of the rozzers that used to be on C5s Police Interceptors before IIRC medically retiring with PTSD now has a YouTube channel I was watching only yesterday. Same as your last paragraph, some fella was going just a little too fast and misjudged a blind crest that had a slight bend on it as well as a slight adverse camber. Due to the road ‘falling away’ after the peak of the crest with the added complexity of the bend and the camber he’d shot straight off the roadside and had been killed by a tree branch, Final Destination style by the sounds of it.

One of the first paramedics on scene later quit the service as a result. I don’t know how so many first responders make a career out of it.

It's not nice being first on scene at a fatal, I've been first on scene a few times and I'm not a copper. :(

Not true. The side-mounted yellow cameras are HADECS3 cameras. Before that, there were surprisingly few cameras out there, far fewer in fact than people realise. I know because I was told the actual number by an HA engineer. The signs were just a bluff.
What isn't true? The older cameras were mounted over each lane, the more modern ones are mounted on the gantry leg - and yes there were very few of the old ones. Most of the older gantrys were fitted to take the old cameras but few ever had them fitted. The idea was that the cameras would be moved around the different gantries but then reality set in when it was realised what a ball-ache of a job that would be.

What isn't true? The older cameras were mounted over each lane, the more modern ones are mounted on the gantry leg - and yes there were very few of the old ones. Most of the older gantrys were fitted to take the old cameras but few ever had them fitted. The idea was that the cameras would be moved around the different gantries but then reality set in when it was realised what a ball-ache of a job that would be.
Poorly worded on my part. I was making a point about how few cameras for the over-lane positions there were/are.

The number for the smart motorway test site on the M42, for instance, was in the very low single figures.

It's not nice being first on scene at a fatal, I've been first on scene a few times and I'm not a copper. :(
an old mate of mine was a traffic cop, mainly on bikes, he said you never forget the faces, or their names , hes been out a long while
and finding mispers long long after everybody had given up on them

Versus the potential revenue generation that people keep banging on about?
The thing is, with average speed cameras the level of compliance is very good. The same holds true with the spot speed kit on Smart Motorways in my experience. I set the cruise control to 70 and very few people pass me, which is most certainly not the case on other motorways.

Cameras don't generate much revenue at all in the scheme of things and that's how Highways England and HMG want it. The cost of some speed cameras in comparison to the cost to the nation for every fatality is peanuts. HMG would rather pay the peanuts for the cameras and take several decades of income tax/NI from those who would otherwise kill themselves and others, or if they survive, cost the NHS a fortune to support their injuries over the years.

I'be just driven from Hertfordshire to to Manchester, going M25/M1/ M6. Just South or Birmingham my GPS starts to pipe up with 'You are approaching a speed camera - approach with caution', which I did, only to watch this thing flash as it took a photo of someone who didn't approach with caution. There are now flashing speed cameras all the way up the M6, so you either are got by average speed cameras where there are roadworks or flash cameras where they arent and its a 70MPH limit. This lot has gone up during the lockdown. The GPS pipes up with the alert every 3 or 4 minutes. The M6 is basically now covered in the bloody things. WTF????
That’s brilliant thanks for giving me a good laugh

The thing is, with average speed cameras the level of compliance is very good. The same holds true with the spot speed kit on Smart Motorways in my experience. I set the cruise control to 70 and very few people pass me, which is most certainly not the case on other motorways.

Cameras don't generate much revenue at all in the scheme of things and that's how Highways England and HMG want it. The cost of some speed cameras in comparison to the cost to the nation for every fatality is peanuts. HMG would rather pay the peanuts for the cameras and take several decades of income tax/NI from those who would otherwise kill themselves and others, or if they survive, cost the NHS a fortune to support their injuries over the years.
A blue light incident on the strategic road network is typically valued at £1m in government literature.

A good enforcement scheme actually generates very little money, as compliance is very high. You're absolutely right, there.

So, arguably, putting the cameras in saves money. A moment ago you were saying that this kit ain't cheap.