M6 Motorway - WFT is going on with Speed Cameras?????

I'be just driven from Hertfordshire to to Manchester, going M25/M1/ M6. Just South or Birmingham my GPS starts to pipe up with 'You are approaching a speed camera - approach with caution', which I did, only to watch this thing flash as it took a photo of someone who didn't approach with caution. There are now flashing speed cameras all the way up the M6, so you either are got by average speed cameras where there are roadworks or flash cameras where they arent and its a 70MPH limit. This lot has gone up during the lockdown. The GPS pipes up with the alert every 3 or 4 minutes. The M6 is basically now covered in the bloody things. WTF????

There’s a simple solution - don’t speed.

4(T)

LE
I'be just driven from Hertfordshire to to Manchester, going M25/M1/ M6. Just South or Birmingham my GPS starts to pipe up with 'You are approaching a speed camera - approach with caution', which I did, only to watch this thing flash as it took a photo of someone who didn't approach with caution. There are now flashing speed cameras all the way up the M6, so you either are got by average speed cameras where there are roadworks or flash cameras where they arent and its a 70MPH limit. This lot has gone up during the lockdown. The GPS pipes up with the alert every 3 or 4 minutes. The M6 is basically now covered in the bloody things. WTF????

££££££££££££

Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone is able to speed on the M6. South of Preston it resembles a car park most of the time.

Welcome to Smart Motorways and variable speed limits.

Stupid idea. Unsafe and doesn't relieve congestion

The most annoying thing about our Motorway network is the miles and miles of roadworks and speed limits of 50mph whilst they continue to foist ‘Smart’ Motorways on us. There is an almost 20 mile stretch of the M6 past Stafford that feels like it has been like that for years. Because it is 50, many lorry drivers maintain their 56mph speed and cause havoc.
As Dingerr says, the only way to deal with it is to stay within the speed limit, but it’s bloody frustrating at times!

If you regularly have to use the M6 you’re clearly from a dodgy part of the country and deserve all you get.

so you're saying you have to drive at teh speed limit?

It does relieve congestion but it most certainly is unsafe.

The M1 is fine, get’s a bit shitty around Leicester, but that’s because it’s Leicester and all the cünt’s coming off the M6.

The most annoying thing about our Motorway network is the miles and miles of roadworks and speed limits of 50mph whilst they continue to foist ‘Smart’ Motorways on us. There is an almost 20 mile stretch of the M6 past Stafford that feels like it has been like that for years. Because it is 50, many lorry drivers maintain their 56mph speed and cause havoc.
As Dingerr says, the only way to deal with it is to stay within the speed limit, but it’s bloody frustrating at times!

DofT reckons that every 1mph traffic on the motorway network slows down costs one million hours of driving time a year.
Thats wy they wanted to increase the speed limit to 80mph.

Stick to the speed limit.

Simples.

4(T)

LE

I'm pretty sure variable speed limits create congestion - through traffic waves/caterpillars - and so one must assume that that is the intention.

Traffic flow on SW M25 is frequently stopped or backed up by variable speed limits, and yet there is almost never any evident reason for the reduced speed limit, such as an accident, queue or obstruction.

The other thing that gives a strong sense of "entrapment" is the rapid cascading and variability of speed limits - ie where it goes from National Speed Limit to, say, 40 and then back - and then straight back to 50 or 60, back to NSL and then down to 40 again. You often see half the traffic flow caught out, with lots of potentially risky sharp braking. NW M25 anticlockwise seems to be bad for that.