M4 Cameras

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Unknown_Quantity, Nov 27, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I got this in an email, can anyone confirm it as valid?

The new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on last Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras. SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your
    number plate is read again. The computer knows how far apart the signs
    are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or
    four. The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that
    passes. You will not now you've been caught, as the cameras do not flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there is absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.
    The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services
    (J14 - J15) is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket
    at 78 mph. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive.
    There is no radar or laser beam to detect.
  2. I've had two very similar EMails, one from one of my blokes, the other from a copper.

The capper also said that the M40 will get much the same treatment on the whole stretch in the Thames Valley Police area. If that happens, I'll get a ban.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

what you need is a nice large Audi with a German number plate. No need to worry about tickets or anything from then on. :lol:
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Another quality vote winner from Mr Prescott!
  5. OK LADS, They are only for the monitoring of traffic flow. They are there to help out with the control of congestion.
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

7. Sorry folks, these 'emails' are sometimes actually classed as viruses. They're meant to scare you and get you, naturally enough, to pass them on -hence the virus analogy. I think the techies amongst us will confirm that the actual mechanics of this are arrse and in any case we're supposed to be told when these 'cameras' are about. Shouldn't worry.

(Mental note to self: Check the number of my nearest Audi showroom)
  8. simply slow right down after the first one if you spot while going too fast and then crawl along as safe as poss letting other cars overtake you then go past the second one , thus beating the system :twisted:
  9. Big Brother is most certainly NOT watching you....
    It is in fact illegal to covertly check the speed of a vehicle without the method being obvious....
    That’s why all the speed cameras are now clearly marked...
    It was called entrapment before...

On a brighter note
    An old work colleague told me this story,
    A friend was driving home very carefully; a little worse for wear one Saturday night when a police car pulled him over,
    When the officer came to the window he tried to look as normal as possible,
    Conversation went something like this,
    'Good evening sir',
    'Good evening officer'
    'Can you tell me the speed limit on this road?'
    'Err 50 I believe?'
    'That’s right ' sir and can you tell me what speed you where doing sir?'
    'Err 55?'
    'No sir you were doing 10 miles per hour...Have we been drinking sir?'

'errrr 50 i believe?'
    'that's right ' sir and can you tell me what speed you where doing sir?'
    'errrr 55?'
    'no sir you were doing 10 mile per hour.....have we been drinking sir?'
  10. An absolutely fool proof system for beating any kind of speed monitoring device be it covert, overt, laser, radar, passive or whatever. Drive a Volvo (middle lane only) and follow people towing caravans............. ,
  11. If you are pulled over for speeding and face a fine thier is away to avoid the ticket.

Grab the copper by his ears, and sink your thumbs into his eyes, calmly lean forward and bite his nose while telling him your going to track down his family and beat them to death with canoe paddles.

Result you will be charged with assaulting and threatening a police officer and they are bound to forget to punish you for speeding
  12. Pretend you are a tree hugging hippy type (or Lord Fl*sheart) and drive a 2CV - thereby alleviating the risk of any type of speed infringement even if you go over Beachy Head with a hurricane wind pushing you along
  13. The amount of road works on motorways it's an absolute wonder anyone can get up to any sort of speed to actaully break the bloody law!! :x
  14. "Mrs J" got a notice from a Police Force citing her for speeding as photographed by a fixed camera (safety camera) site , after three and a half months of argument, they finally said "we'll let you off this time" - not good enough, not guilty! - they finally produced their evidence showing a 5 door hatchback, "Mrs J" has a 3 door hatchback, the suffix on their picture was a D our suffix a B - Always ask for the pics