M4 A2 Sherman recovered

I have seen a few of these vids .In one they dragged something German out. It was pretty much as new , being in a peat bog , and the drums of fuel on the outside had ruptured and created a oily bath to preserve it .

NSP

LE
^ There's a vid on a restoration website somewhere about pulling a T-34 out of a boggy lake in Poland Latvia. It comes out upright and backwards, they flush all the crap out, including the engine, prime the fuel system, hook up a battery and turn it over! It took some time in a workshop before it actually ran, though. If I have time I'll see if I can dig out the URL.

Re: OP point on messing with the fuze. They don't seem too bothered about hanging around - and in the cameraman's case, sitting above - cables under tension, either. Those Ukrainians, eh...?!

Last edited:
Ive seen the T34 recovery it was in Lativa it was recovered, It still had the Balkan Cross on the side of it was well. Story is the Germans drove it into the swamp during a retreat due to lack of fuel as there looked to be a full load of ammo which came out of it.

NSP

LE
Latvia, was it? I sit corrected! It was a long time ago I came across the site featuring the recovery so some of it is lost in the mists of time. The thing that stuck was that it only needed a new battery and wiping all the clag off for the engine to turn over.

Presumably the crew drove it into the bog in the hope they would be issued a T34 as a replacement ?
Given the good state of preservation , could we suggest to members of our remaining Challenger regiments that they do the same thing with their tanks ?
That way we will at least have a tank force should the need the arise .

We has loads;
K6rIKIl.jpg

NSP

LE
This is it , its the same one i saw .

That seems awfully familiar, although I could have sworn they got the engine to crank before they left the lakeside. But, as I said, I browsed it some time ago and it was on their own website, with several clips and lots of photos...

Presumably the crew drove it into the bog in the hope they would be issued a T34 as a replacement ?
They liked them as they were comfortable, had radio, had compasses, didn't gas you and their diesel models were less prone to brewing up than Russian tanks. On the morale front, the US production line workers stowed gifts of whisky in the barrels on despatch. What's not to like?

http://archive.4plebs.org/foolfuuka/boards/tg/image/1366/70/1366701417638.pdf

The winch was a fair bit of kit , you dont pull a 30 tank out of a bog with a LR .