Builds M3 Lee Canal Defence light 1/35th scale by Takom.

I'm intrigued as to how you're going to supply power to the light. Wires down through the hull into the diorama base to leave access to a battery and switch?

I'll strip out a cheapie torch like this, fit the LED opposite a reflector, wires down through the turret out through a hole in the hull floor, into the base, a hole carved in the wood base for the battey compartment, with the switch outside the glass case.

Came across this while looking for Tank crew clothing.
5A8F4A21-2074-4510-92F3-44A80E0B20E3.jpeg

the instructions for making up the brush guards assumes the builder has done it before so we can just brush passed that part...
brush guard instruction.jpg

first is finding a paint brush handle of the right circumference to use as a former. simply forming around in a semi circle with the tips of your fingers, careful not to overdo it.
brush guard forming around a paint brush.jpg

bending the feet at right angles
brush guards bending feet.jpg

placing the brushguards out of the way till they are needed for fitting.
brush guards formed and waiting.jpg

The instructions show this part only in this diagram, then there is no mention of it in any of the diagrams later on. The parts do exist on the sprues, but I've no idea where it goes or even what it's representing on the model.
unknown part.jpg

The instructions show this part only in this diagram, then there is no mention of it in any of the diagrams later on. The parts do exist on the sprues, but I've no idea where it goes or even what it's representing on the model.
View attachment 573804
It's not by any chance the former for the brush guards (whatever they are)?

I agree, that is what it is, the former for the brush guards, excellent Puttees, go to the top of the class. I'm going to keep ahold of that for future use, bit late for this one, but there you go.

Dark olive green base colour, I'm going for the salt technique and I'm trying for a peeling paint effect. as if it's been waiting in the rain for months for a chance to prove it's use in an operation. for a chance to light up some German Sappers trying to blow up the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen.
base dark olive green.jpg

the first salt layer with a slight change of OD, the base colour is Aqua Colour Gelbolive yellow olive, not a bad paint for airbrush use, and it's Revell Germany, the latest overspray is lifecolour Khaki Olive drab, a slight tome difference, when I brush off the salt the difference will show.
first salt.jpg

Last edited:
the turret does have an openable hatch, judging by those hinges, otherwise commanding a tank like this into position at night would have been difficult.
first salt off. bjpg.jpg