Builds M3 Lee Canal Defence light 1/35th scale by Takom.

I seem to remember, a long, long time ago, perhaps even in a galaxy far, far away, making a luminous tank.

Stupid idea really but I suppose the manufacturer was looking for a gimmick to create a new corner in the market.

Tracks for this kit are traditional link and length type, been around for the last 25 years or more (a research area for our Daz).
Basically the kit provides a sprue frame of individual links to go around the sprocket and Idler wheel and lengths of pre formed track. The bottom length stops just prior to the track bending upward toward the idler and sprocket wheels.
bottom run of track.jpg

the kit provides this former for the upper length of track, it's dead straight,
upper track former.jpg

then at the last five links takes on a slight upward slope toward the sprocket.
upper run of track upward canter.jpg

once the links are formed around the sprocket and idler, it's a good idea to "form" the track neading it into it's final shape and form around the circuit.
a round of track needing final adjustment.jpg

paying particular attention to the track around the sprocket teeth.
a round of track.jpg

If you lot are getting serious about illuminating the model, you might want to bear in mind that you'll need cover the entire inside of the turret (and maybe parts of the hull) with foil tape to prevent light transmission.

Unless you want to display a ghost tank.
just me.

Slime

LE
You should have waited until it was finished before giving that very sensible advice!
Would have been far funnier. :)

I’m waiting for the model to be finished and in it’s case.........

Then I’ll ask: But where’s the model canal?

moving on, the kit does provide a very small pe frame of parts
air filter pe frame.jpg

anyone starting this hobby for the first time, or, back to it after a long break, using PE may be best left for a later project, otherwise it might turn you off going any further. If you are keen to get stuck into some PE, my advice is build a "Metal Earth" model kit first, to cut your PE teeth.

The first use of that pe frame is the catches that would have kept the air filter lid on.
air filter instruction.jpg

cutting out the tiny hooks was done using a blade with the part held down so it won't spring off into the distance. The dipped in superglue and placed into position using tweezers.
air filter pe part fitted.jpg

the filters fitted to the hull
air filter fitted to hull.jpg

real Sherman ones.
IMG_1723.JPG

grizly e.jpg

this curved piece is for the bolt on nose transmission cover, it has a mold line running it's entire length, is that meant to be there? I'll dig out a picture.
bolt curve seam.jpg

What do you use to bend/shape the PE? Is it worth investing in one of those proprietary devices or do you just use needle nosed pliers.
I have a PE bending tool, it's just a shaped clamp that allows you to hold down the part and bend in up at a neat, tidy angle, far easier to use that a steel rule.
They come in various sizes, mine is quite small 6cm x 6cm, not that expensive, worth having.
pe bending tool.jpg

incidentally, I dragged this piece of pe out of the spares box for that picture above and suddenly realized it's a spare for a Sherman track guard. I could have used it if I'd had a matching pair. The right angle bends can be seen in this shot, perfect job for the pe tool.
pe tips b.jpg

the raised half round reinforcing bend in the pe are presented as thinned areas underneath the part. A ball point pen is perfect for pressing it out, lay the pe part on a soft surface.
pe tips.jpg

leaping ahead quite a few steps, checking the dimensions of the turret, want to order a led searchlight to go inside there, the operator was partitioned off on the left side of the turret, you wouldn't want to look right into several million candlepower, blind you the same way as looking at a weld arc without a welders mask.
turret roof scale.jpg

that vertical slit at the front of the turret is where the light was emitted from.
turret instructions view.jpg

upturned hull with the gun shield fitted
cast upper hull inverted.jpg

the cast upper hull joined up, gun shield and gun barrel all done, it's flying along now.
cast upper hull added.jpg

that early design escape hatch fitted to the upper hull reverse slope. That would give good cover for the escaping loader.
escape hatch shut.jpg

Latest Threads