Builds M3 Lee Canal Defence light 1/35th scale by Takom.

the rear plate, test fitted, liquid glue added from inside as per the front plate, a nice neat fit. And more importantly, no sign of the glue.
rear hull plate glued fit.jpg

with the Idler wheel mounts fitted, we are at the end of stage one.
end stage one.jpg

moving on to stage two now, this is a fiddley section, as per a lot of Tank type builds, the suspension parts are made up from small fiddley pieces that you have to take your time on, that means walking away and taking regular breaks if it gets a bit too much.
instructions step one.jpg

this area really repays reading and studying the instructions so you get a real idea of the task. First thing, tidy up the parts and remove any molding tabs that are not part of the build, and might prevent proper assembly.
removing molding tabs.jpg

my annotations show A, a molding tab, right where you don't need it, and it's common to all similar parts, B the tab burr after clipping off, but before cleaning up with a blade and sandpaper, C the cut off Tab.
Have a tin bin on your worktop to place all the unwanted cut offs into, you don't want these populating the carpet monster when you are searching for something you have dropped and want to find.
tab into the bin.jpg

with this type of suspension, the swing arms are not glued into place, I'm not normally a fan of working features on a display model, but for the suspension to sit right, I have to go with the kit as designed, which is a fiddle beyond belief, I had to stop, take a deep breath and make a cup of tea. It's good, the kettle has to boil, the tea has to brew, all time for calming and returning to the table to find the task less odious.
assembling top of bogie.jpg

one little tip, may seem obvious when I mention this, but leaving sided parts on the sprue until you need it, helps you orientate the small easily mixed up part with something similar, in this case part A32 as opposed to part A26.
part thirty two left on sprue.jpg

Slime

LE
As craft knives/scalpels have been mentioned.

I use three main sizes of scalpel. Scalpel blades are very sharp and some people have trouble removing the blade once it’s a bit blunt.

Swann Morton who make top notch scalpels also sell a very nifty blade remover, which is also a storage box for the used blades.

Various scalpels.
322E4970-C299-4D31-96BF-B28E46DCD564.jpeg

The blade remover/storage box.
2DE337FA-61FD-4ECC-8611-3DE1C4983FA9.jpeg

How the remover works.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As craft knives/scalpels have been mentioned.

I use three main sizes of scalpel. Scalpel blades are very sharp and some people have trouble removing the blade once it’s a bit blunt.

Swann Morton who make top notch scalpels also sell a very nifty blade remover, which is also a storage box for the used blades.

Various scalpels.
View attachment 573024

The blade remover/storage box.
View attachment 573026

How the remover works.

You can buy disposable scalpels, plastic handle, blade prefitted

Slime

LE
You can buy disposable scalpels, plastic handle, blade prefitted

You can, but I don’t like them :)
I like metal handles as they are rigid, so makes using them safer.

Edited to add. I use the scalpels shown on tougher cutting jobs than plastic models, but showed the blade remover for those using scalpels on models.

Last edited:
one full side of the suspension fitted. The hull is supported underneath, you can see they are dangling down. when both sides are on they will find their own level
first three bogies fitted to hull.jpg

both sides fitted, all wheels touching the ground at the same level, happy with that. Sprockets and Idlers fitted.
sprockets and idlers on.jpg

the next step, link and length tracks.
instructions for link and length.jpg

Slime

LE
When this model is finished will it have a bright working light?

Slime

LE
Not as daft as it sounds. Make a good reading lamp.

That’s genius :)
If I had to try to add a lamp I’d struggle as I don’t have an airbrush*
I see that it’s possible to get lovely chrome finishes with an airbrush.

*I had been watching some air brushes on Amazon, but during Covid times they seem to have jumped up in price. I will wait to see if prices come back down.

That’s genius :)
If I had to try to add a lamp I’d struggle as I don’t have an airbrush*
I see that it’s possible to get lovely chrome finishes with an airbrush.

*I had been watching some air brushes on Amazon, but during Covid times they seem to have jumped up in price. I will wait to see if prices come back down.
Tin foil.

Slime

LE

Slime

LE
No. I mean tin foil as a reflector inside the cdl turret. To max the led lighting.

Yes, I know :)
Speed tape is more reflective than tin foil.

Speed tape I'll look that up, if the model is in a glass case the beam of light would reflect inside and around the glass, lighting up the whole room and my book, (be odd if I was reading a book about Canal Defence Lights at the time.) I'd have to use LED bulbs to avoid heat buildup inside the turret.

Slime

LE
Speed tape I'll look that up, if the model is in a glass case the beam of light would reflect inside and around the glass, lighting up the whole room and my book, (be odd if I was reading a book about Canal Defence Lights at the time.) I'd have to use LED bulbs to avoid heat buildup inside the turret.

It’s like the shiny heating and vent tape. a self adhesive backed shiny metal tape.

If you lot are getting serious about illuminating the model, you might want to bear in mind that you'll need cover the entire inside of the turret (and maybe parts of the hull) with foil tape to prevent light transmission.

Unless you want to display a ghost tank.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you lot are getting serious about illuminating the model, you might want to bear in mind that you'll need cover the entire inside of the turret (and maybe parts of the hull) with foil tape to prevent light transmission.

Unless you want to display a ghost tank.

You should have waited until it was finished before giving that very sensible advice!
Would have been far funnier. :)

Latest Threads