• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

M25 users

At the risk of sticking my plod head above the parapet I just thought I`d pass on the following info for anyone who uses the M25. If they are doing this here, they will probably be doing it along the whole of the M25.

I have received information from Traffic Management that the company who look after the Variable Speed cameras between Jct 10 - 15 on the M25 on behalf of the Metropolitan police are ACTIVATING the cameras from 15/02/08. The current cameras are analogue and the speed for enforcement is set at 93mph. However the system is changing to Digital and the Commissioner as directed the company to set the cameras at ACPO guidelines, this will be 80mph.

Very useful info, thanks. Do you know if the cameras will be activated at night ? I normally trudge around there at about 2am when it's empty.

sniper005 said:
At the risk of sticking my plod head above the parapet I just thought I`d pass on the following info for anyone who uses the M25. If they are doing this here, they will probably be doing it along the whole of the M25.

I have received information from Traffic Management that the company who look after the Variable Speed cameras between Jct 10 - 15 on the M25 on behalf of the Metropolitan police are ACTIVATING the cameras from 15/02/08. The current cameras are analogue and the speed for enforcement is set at 93mph. However the system is changing to Digital and the Commissioner as directed the company to set the cameras at ACPO guidelines, this will be 80mph.
I was on the M25 last week from the M4 to the A12. At the Heathrow end, there were signs warning that average speed monitoring (or some such phrase) is in operation. It was sunny clear day and I had to my sun visor as the blazing sun was in my eyes, however, the speed limit showed 50 and there was a fog warning - get a grip!

Great piece of int for all the southerners.

Just one question for plod:
The above head matrix signs and variable speed limit signs on the motorway networks, can the idiots that control them actually drive?

I am sick to the back teeth of being in traffic jams caused by some over zealous cnut in the control room that has slowed the entire network down to 40mph just cause someone is on the hard shoulder, that's why it's there.

Forastero

LE
Top int that. I thought they'd actually removed the cameras completely rather than turning them off, I regularly hoon down there at 85ish. :oops:

They had / have them on the M4 between J12 & J18, but I was talking to one of the plastic plod and he said the big drawback was that if you were clocked in Lane 1 at J12, you had to be in Lane 1 at J18 for it to work, as, at the time, it could not cope with people changing lanes so the only ones they nicked were the Centre Lane Owners Club. I don't know if that has changed yet

bobos said:
They had / have them on the M4 between J12 & J18, but I was talking to one of the plastic plod and he said the big drawback was that if you were clocked in Lane 1 at J12, you had to be in Lane 1 at J18 for it to work, as, at the time, it could not cope with people changing lanes so the only ones they nicked were the Centre Lane Owners Club. I don't know if that has changed yet
My theory with average speed cameras is that you could never calculate the exact distance covered due to lane changes. So, as said, unless you are old/female and haven't grasped the concept of more than one lane and using your mirrors, they shouldn't be admissable as evidence because they could never proove the distance over time.

Although you COULD to within a certain tolerance.

An EDIT because im still on Monday Mong Mode

SparkySteve said:
bobos said:
My theory with average speed cameras is that you could never calculate the exact distance covered due to lane changes. So, as said, unless you are old/female and haven't grasped the concept of more than one lane and using your mirrors, they shouldn't be admissable as evidence because they could never proove the distance over time.

Although you COULD to within a certain tolerance.

An EDIT because im still on Monday Mong Mode
And some crafty sods have worked out that if you drive aprox. 6 inches from the car in front, the cameras can't see your number plate. Mightily pisses me off on the M1 between J6-J12, having some prized tw@t in a beemer (etc.) hoon it through the traffic at 60-70, then tuck up behind people's bumpers to avoid the cameras.

cometcatcher said:
And some crafty sods have worked out that if you drive aprox. 6 inches from the car in front, the cameras can't see your number plate. Mightily pisses me off on the M1 between J6-J12, having some prized tw@t in a beemer (etc.) hoon it through the traffic at 60-70, then tuck up behind people's bumpers to avoid the cameras.

Alongside a lorry would do. But yes, that is definately a way of getting around it. Wait until the country's motorway network is covered in it, and watch the accident rate increase sharply.

Safety cameras my arse.

So hypothetically, if the Matrix sign is displaying 'Warning Fog', with a 40 mph speed limit, despite it being a sunny August afternoon, do you have a leg to stand on at all if you ignore the warning and are caught?

SparkySteve said:
cometcatcher said:

Alongside a lorry would do. But yes, that is definately a way of getting around it. Wait until the country's motorway network is covered in it, and watch the accident rate increase sharply.

Safety cameras my arse.
Exactly! The accident rate on that section, J6-J12 is bad, for precisely that reason.

Your never going to remove the tossers from the motorway.
Trying to enforce them with a badly thought out idea that i hold in contempt (M1, J10 to J8 has now largely been completed. Still 50mph though. For safety?) is going to endanger more people as the tossers find ways around it.

cometcatcher said:
So hypothetically, if the Matrix sign is displaying 'Warning Fog', with a 40 mph speed limit, despite it being a sunny August afternoon, do you have a leg to stand on at all if you ignore the warning and are caught?
Funnily enough this happened to me at the weekend and when I got to the M6 Toll services I asked a traffic plod what the score was with the 50mph signs flashing away on an empty dry road with not a sign of mist/fog anywhere. The very surprising answer I got was, the signs are not enforcing a speed limit they are merely advisory and it is up to the driver to allow for the current conditions. Interesting really as I thought those signs set the mandatory speed limit but certainly useful to know.

Im trying to find the legislation at the moment, but i think it varies from County to County, although the majority of the returns im getting suggest that it is only a mandatory limit if it is enclosed in a red circle on it's display.

http://www.traffic-answers.co.uk/motorways.htm

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but it seems to make sense:

Q. Are the speed limits on matrix signs obligatory?
A. The speed limit signs on these boards are normally advisory but they would be put there for a reason. If you ignore them and are caught doing so, you could possibly be committing an offence of driving without due care and attention or, depending on the circumstances, dangerous driving. In some areas, the local legislation is such that they have now become mandatory and you could, therefore, be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit.

Latest Threads