M25 Darford Crossing t Remove Toll Booths, however...

"Radical changes to toll payments for the Dartford Crossing come into effect this month.

As of November 30 drivers will no longer be able to pay cash at the crossing, but will have the option to pay either before they travel or by midnight the day after they have used it.

The new charge will be called the Dart Charge .

Payment will be possible online, by phone, post or at a shop with a Payzone facility.

It is hoped the move will reduce congestion and ease traffic flow.

A website where drivers can register for a pre-pay account – and save money on every crossing opened to the public today"

Highways Agency Project Manager, Nigel Gray said: "Dart Charge will help speed up journeys so it’s great news for the tens of thousands of drivers who use the Crossing every day and for the economy."

The only problem is that those who use the crossing occasionally are supposed to pre-pay via a mobile phone or the Internet. Yet there are thousands of drivers who do not have access to the Internet, or who make journeys on the spur of the moment. Apparently ANPR cameras will pick up the registration of vehicles who have not paid, a FPN for £100 Pounds will be sent to the registered keepers.

This is either a money making scam by the Highways Agency in collusion with the bridge operators, 'Connect Plus', who owns the franchise to operate this crossing; or a way of making life difficult for many drivers. Although if you use the crossing between 6 AM to 6 AM it is free. The Dartford Crossing is owned by the Highways agency..

The original idea was to abandon the tolls after a number of years, the the original costs in building the tunnels and later the QE2 Bridge; have been recouped several times over. The continued tolls are a money making scam for the Highways agency and the government and the private crossing operators..

You are saying
"The only problem is that those who use the crossing occasionally are supposed to pre-pay via a mobile phone or the Internet. Yet there are thousands of drivers who do not have access to the Internet, or who make journeys on the spur of the moment."

The article you quote says
" online, by phone, post or at a shop with a Payzone facility"

Sorry mate I'm not seeing the problem.If it means I'm not stuck,again,behind some Doris who needs to empty out her handbag to find her loose change I'm all fot it.

CQMS

LE
What's the difference between someone driving over the bridge infrequently and someone driving into the CC zone infrequently?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The original toll was re-dressed as a 'congestion charge' by removing the overnight charges. In reality, the congestion's cause is/was queueing at the toll booths.

It's a thinly veiled income-generator, aye. But it's also a fact of life.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
What's the difference between someone driving over the bridge infrequently and someone driving into the CC zone infrequently?

Nothing. Both use ANPR.

There were some trials of Dedicated Short-Range Communication (DSRC) tags in London a few years back. The suppliers were an Austrian firm, Kapsch, and a Norwegian firm, Q-Free.

In the end, ANPR was retained for its simplicity. You get more accuracy and greater functionality using DSRC, but ANPR gives 'good enough' performance at a fraction of the cost.

In Stockholm, for instance, it was originally planned to use DSRC for the congestion charge, with ANPR supporting as the enforcement technology. In the end, Sweden's national license plate database was judged to be accurate enough that ANPR was used for both the charging and enforcement tasks.

Last edited:

4(T)

LE
Oh look! Tolls have also gone up by 25% as well! I guess inflation must be that high as well, right?

The Dartford tolls are one of the worst examples of hypocritical tax-grabbing by government. The crossings are paid for as per the original plan, and there has been no need for a toll for a decade or so. The toll queues themselves have cost the economy millions in lost time, and the pollution from queuing traffic makes a mockery of any environmental blather from government.

Oh look! Tolls have also gone up by 25% as well! I guess inflation must be that high as well, right?

The Dartford tolls are one of the worst examples of hypocritical tax-grabbing by government. The crossings are paid for as per the original plan, and there has been no need for a toll for a decade or so. The toll queues themselves have cost the economy millions in lost time, and the pollution from queuing traffic makes a mockery of any environmental blather from government.

The Road Pricing website Dartford Crossing page tells me
"Revenue is around £74 million per annum, of which £36 million is spent on maintaining the bridge, tunnels and approach roads, the rest is surplus."
So where does the £36m come from to maintain the thing?

4(T)

LE
The Road Pricing website Dartford Crossing page tells me
"Revenue is around £74 million per annum, of which £36 million is spent on maintaining the bridge, tunnels and approach roads, the rest is surplus."
So where does the £36m come from to maintain the thing?

The same highways budget that pays for all the other non-toll infrastructure, with the cash coming out of the vast tax haul taken from motorists anyway.

The tolls were stated to be only a temporary measure to pay off the capital costs of the new crossing - everything since then has been an opportunist tax grab.

How much money has been lost to the economy because of those thousands of hours/miles of queuing traffic all these years? Bet its a lot more annum than the measly £36m apparently needed to maintain the crossings..

If you don't want to pay it, don't use it. Stop bitching and go through the Blackwall Tunnel. See how much cash you save that way.

The same highways budget that pays for all the other non-toll infrastructure, with the cash coming out of the vast tax haul taken from motorists anyway.

The tolls were stated to be only a temporary measure to pay off the capital costs of the new crossing - everything since then has been an opportunist tax grab.

How much money has been lost to the economy because of those thousands of hours/miles of queuing traffic all these years? Bet its a lot more annum than the measly £36m apparently needed to maintain the crossings..

So my Dad who lives in Scotland has never used the M25 and never will has to pay for the crossings?

This is either a money making scam by the Highways Agency in collusion with the bridge operators, 'Connect Plus', who owns the franchise to operate this crossing; or a way of making life difficult for many drivers. Although if you use the crossing between 6 AM to 6 AM it is free. The Dartford Crossing is owned by the Highways agency..

?

4(T)

LE
So my Dad who lives in Scotland has never used the M25 and never will has to pay for the crossings?

Like we pay for the motorways, bridges and infrastructure in Scotland? Or I have to pay for other peoples' child benefits and education?

No-one gets to opt out of paying any other part of the national tax bill.

X59

LE
The original toll was re-dressed as a 'congestion charge' by removing the overnight charges. In reality, the congestion's cause is/was queueing at the toll booths.

It's a thinly veiled income-generator, aye. But it's also a fact of life.

The income loss through the removal of overnight charges would've been offset by the savings made on cutting the night shift barrier ops.