M1919A4 on Post war UK vehicles.

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by instinct, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why was the M1919A4 used in .30 cal for so long on british vehicles? Such as the Ferret, Saracen and Cent.

Seems very strange to complicate supply by having to have an extra ammo type, they even made Brownings in .303 for the RAF. This seems doubly strange when 7.62 came in and GPMG's were rolled out.

2. We had loads and shed loads of ammo.
    Ffs the cadet training team were using them.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When you consider that the BESA which we fitted to our tanks in WW2 was in 7.92mm or 8mm Mauser it isnt that barking. It was a good cartridge in an effective wepon and when I fired one at Brecon I had wood! In fact I seem to recall in 1988 the Pig in XMG had a ferret turret fitted and there was a Browning available!
    I wish I had taken pictures, we only used it for in town VCPs and resupplying Baruki!

4. Fcuk me I remember that POS. Needed a paint job when i was there mind. Didn't it get spattered in that mortar squirt when they had a go at the heli coming in?

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The pig shed certainly did, whilst they were building the new cop block in 87/88 we slept in the in those and they were perforated, in fact when you woke up in the morning it looked like a planitarium there were so many holes!

6. Can gas piston operated guns present more problems with fumes in a small turret than recoil operated ones like the Browning?

7. Reliable mmg in my limited experience.Make sure cartridge head space and timing correct,keep well lubricated,any stoppages,cock twice,carry on.

8. We used Saracen for airfield EOD in Germany, The Browning certainly sounded meaty and surprised quite a few exercise intruders when assaulting a Squadron dispersal. Even resorted to firing it from a sling, John Wayne style when the Saracen broke.

9. Simpler design then the Besa ZB Biggest fault was slower ROF than a MAG58 or MG42. there was a Specific AFV version the M1919A5, and the later M37 which could feed from either side like the M2HB. I believe the Canadian used a version into the 70's as a ground gun.

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Used it in 7.62 Nato all through the 80's bugger to name all the parts oorhaalhefboomborgpen for cocking lever retaining pin etc..

11. An Old 1SG buddy of mine has a Semiauto version (made on an Israeli kit) mounted on his Ural motorcycle sidecar in upstate NY. He tried to get a Semi auto DP28 but no luck.

12. A regular at my range has the full auto version and it runs very well. .30 06 cartridge has sufficient power for an LMG in my view.

• Like Like x 1