M16 "Test to Destruction"

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gravelbelly, Sep 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The following link makes interesting reading.. Basically, US Special Forces types were complaining that their M16s and M4s were exploding, so the US Army decided to do a bit of testing. Namely, keep firing on full auto, and see how long it lasts.

Turns out you can reliably break an M16 in about three minutes on automatic; a couple of the attached ammo incident reports at the end suggest it can be done in rather less......

Updated link to the report

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Wonder how long the SA80 would take ?

A lot longer I imagine, (including stoppages that is)
    But perhaps I'm being unkind to the 'greatest weapon ever to leave Enfield'

:lol:

3. Three minutes is a fairly long time on continuous full auto, especially for a light barrelled rifle. The heat generated in that time alone could possibly cause ammunition to cook off.

But is this news really new? Isn't this part of the reason they came out with the three round burst mode for the M16?
    I think it's also part of the reason the CF version has a heavier barrel than a standard M16.

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It may well have been part of the reason RC, also the low hit probability on full auto - the two main downsides of spray & pray.
    But both 'problems' are easily sorted by correct trg of disciplined troops.

Oh bugger ! I forgot we're talking about septics......

5. So true.

Whatever happened to "musketry" and "marksmanship"?

6. Starfish and yanks in the same sentence, such a good start to any morning debate.

7. v v good, barret vid by usmc was interesting, cover from effective enemy fire?
    that will be behind a chally? :lol:

8. Which is why it's so amusing that all of the incident reps stapled to the back of the report are from US Army Special Forces.... (e.g. "10th SFG")

...that, and they're all claiming "honest, we'd only run a magazine or two through the weapon before it blew up" in their statements..... :twisted:

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

:wink: