M16/AR-15 in UK service early 1960's to Late 1980's

ugly

LE
Remember seeing a prototype webbing set for the L85, a skeleton vest type of arrangement with angled pouches for single mags - also only 20 rd mags.
We trialled that stuff in 82/83. We were issued 30 round shaped weights to fill the pouches.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This one only took twenty rounders.

ugly

LE
Is the film of 42 on YouTube?

See 31m.51s

It's literally a couple of seconds of the back of his head. You can see his Armalite slung over 'his' shoulder.

Personally I have some doubt it is actually him, but my older brother apparently had a convo with him about it before he passed away. This only came to my attention some months after I disposed of a strikingly similar camera from his loft.

I am 99% sure it is him at 36.01 though. You can see an AR 15 leaned against the wall in this, and in the shot a few seconds later.

Seeing your 22-yo father loading a dead man on to a stretcher is a very strange experience. Especially as it closely fits an event he told me about, so there's a very strong probability it happened by his hand too.

Very dusty in here all of a sudden.

See 31m.51s

It's literally a couple of seconds of the back of his head. You can see his Armalite slung over 'his' shoulder.

Personally I have some doubt it is actually him, but my older brother apparently had a convo with him about it before he passed away. This only came to my attention some months after I disposed of a strikingly similar camera from his loft.

I am 99% sure it is him at 36.01 though. You can see an AR 15 leaned against the wall in this, and in the shot a few seconds later.

Seeing your 22-yo father loading a dead man on to a stretcher is a very strange experience. Especially as it closely fits an event he told me about, so there's a very strong probability it happened by his hand too.

Very dusty in here all of a sudden.
Thanks mate,I know the clip you're referring to,I've seen this ep a couple times.
First thing I thought was" he's got an M16!"

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yup. Our lead scouts - mostly Ibans -carried these as did our own point man.
Didn't they trust them with more than one rd, or were they expected to go all clicky-ba after firing ?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Didn't they trust them with more than one rd, or were they expected to go all clicky-ba after firing ?
We were Greenjackets, would more than one round be needed?

Actually, I believe they were semi-auto shotguns.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yup. Our lead scouts -
mostly Ibans -carried these as did our own point man.
Which one is you ?

We were Greenjackets, would more than one round be needed?
Having seen Jackets on the range...

Actually, I believe they were semi-auto shotguns.
Probably another of John Moses' cracking ideas.

The Greener GP is little more than a 12 bore Martini.
If it was good enough at kwaJimi it'll be good enough in the trees.
Sporting:

Police Mk III - most of these fired a proprietary cart.:

Link to Iban with A5

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which one is you ?

Having seen Jackets on the range...

Probably another of John Moses' cracking ideas.

The Greener GP is little more than a 12 bore Martini.
If it was good enough at kwaJimi it'll be good enough in the trees.
Sporting:

Police Mk III - most of these fired a proprietary cart.:

Link to Iban with A5
I'm the one on the right, naturally. In Disguise.

I'm told by one of the chaps who carried the shotgun that it was a 5 shot semi. Possibly Greener.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Greener made semi auto 12g? never seen one or heard of that.
May not be, it was in 1965 so a long time ago and memory is not very ............... sorry. What was I saying?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Take a squizz at the last link, (given again here,) for a Sea Dyak with a L32A1.

Edit.
Far out, it works !
Now why couldn't I get the image up and running yesterday morning ?

ugly

LE
Is he really Iban, boots and all?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is he really Iban, boots and all?
He was part of the army's E&D campaign of the time.
Or as the GOC said a month before: "We need photos of wogs or chinks, doesn't matter what sort, they all look the same."