M16/AR-15 in UK service early 1960's to Late 1980's

ugly

LE
Remember seeing a prototype webbing set for the L85, a skeleton vest type of arrangement with angled pouches for single mags - also only 20 rd mags.
We trialled that stuff in 82/83. We were issued 30 round shaped weights to fill the pouches.

Bluenose2

War Hero
Is the film of 42 on YouTube?

See 31m.51s

It's literally a couple of seconds of the back of his head. You can see his Armalite slung over 'his' shoulder.

Personally I have some doubt it is actually him, but my older brother apparently had a convo with him about it before he passed away. This only came to my attention some months after I disposed of a strikingly similar camera from his loft.

I am 99% sure it is him at 36.01 though. You can see an AR 15 leaned against the wall in this, and in the shot a few seconds later.

Seeing your 22-yo father loading a dead man on to a stretcher is a very strange experience. Especially as it closely fits an event he told me about, so there's a very strong probability it happened by his hand too.

Very dusty in here all of a sudden.

See 31m.51s

It's literally a couple of seconds of the back of his head. You can see his Armalite slung over 'his' shoulder.

Personally I have some doubt it is actually him, but my older brother apparently had a convo with him about it before he passed away. This only came to my attention some months after I disposed of a strikingly similar camera from his loft.

I am 99% sure it is him at 36.01 though. You can see an AR 15 leaned against the wall in this, and in the shot a few seconds later.

Seeing your 22-yo father loading a dead man on to a stretcher is a very strange experience. Especially as it closely fits an event he told me about, so there's a very strong probability it happened by his hand too.

Very dusty in here all of a sudden.
Thanks mate,I know the clip you're referring to,I've seen this ep a couple times.
First thing I thought was" he's got an M16!"

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Didn't they trust them with more than one rd, or were they expected to go all clicky-ba after firing ?
We were Greenjackets, would more than one round be needed?

Actually, I believe they were semi-auto shotguns.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yup. Our lead scouts -
mostly Ibans -carried these as did our own point man.
Which one is you ?
COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Portret_van_Iban_Dajaks_waarvan_de_man_in_krijgskleding_in_de_garnizoensplaats_Long_Nawan_TMnr_60034030.jpg

We were Greenjackets, would more than one round be needed?
Having seen Jackets on the range...

Actually, I believe they were semi-auto shotguns.
Probably another of John Moses' cracking ideas.
Photo11051840.jpg

The Greener GP is little more than a 12 bore Martini.
If it was good enough at kwaJimi it'll be good enough in the trees.
Sporting:
64941.jpg

Police Mk III - most of these fired a proprietary cart.:
wm_6812252.jpg

Link to Iban with A5

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which one is you ?
COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Portret_van_Iban_Dajaks_waarvan_de_man_in_krijgskleding_in_de_garnizoensplaats_Long_Nawan_TMnr_60034030.jpg

Having seen Jackets on the range...

Probably another of John Moses' cracking ideas.
Photo11051840.jpg

The Greener GP is little more than a 12 bore Martini.
If it was good enough at kwaJimi it'll be good enough in the trees.
Sporting:
64941.jpg

Police Mk III - most of these fired a proprietary cart.:
wm_6812252.jpg

Link to Iban with A5
I'm the one on the right, naturally. In Disguise.

I'm told by one of the chaps who carried the shotgun that it was a 5 shot semi. Possibly Greener.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Greener made semi auto 12g? never seen one or heard of that.
May not be, it was in 1965 so a long time ago and memory is not very ............... sorry. What was I saying?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Take a squizz at the last link, (given again here,) for a Sea Dyak with a L32A1.

4273257.JPG

Edit.
Far out, it works !
Now why couldn't I get the image up and running yesterday morning ?

ugly

LE
Is he really Iban, boots and all?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is he really Iban, boots and all?
He was part of the army's E&D campaign of the time.
Or as the GOC said a month before: "We need photos of wogs or chinks, doesn't matter what sort, they all look the same."

Latest Threads