M16/AR-15 in UK service early 1960's to Late 1980's

The ' photo of the COP Pln goodies brought back some wry smiles, Remington Wingmaster - deep, deep, joy.

SMG with taped 'mags - hmm, I found it to be less cumbersome to use a 'mag chopped down to take 10 rounds for immediate use and keeping the standard issue ones close to hand.

Oh, and lots and lots of L4 magazines too.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The ' photo of the COP Pln goodies brought back some wry smiles, Remington Wingmaster - deep, deep, joy.

SMG with taped 'mags - hmm, I found it to be less cumbersome to use a 'mag chopped down to take 10 rounds for immediate use and keeping the standard issue ones close to hand.

Oh, and lots and lots of L4 magazines too.
Was there not a short SMG mag? 10 or 15 rounds?
Or did I dream that too.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I only saw M16's/GL's in Northern Ireland(outside of SF/pathfinder use).
Initially,one M79 per four man brick(team).I had one,it would be carried slung and broken(opened?).
They were withdrawn just as we deployed.Replaced by M203's,one per twelve man multiple.
The marines were far more liberal in their issue of M16's etc,perhaps they look good alongside stilleto heels.
Why would you carry it open ? There's every chance the bolt would slide out.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In 1987, Belize we had AR15, 2 PARA had the then new SA80.
I have a feeling the ARs were BDF, weapons but we had them for the six month tour.
I have to say i thought it was a great rifle and perfect for the tasks out there.

My Dad was issued an Armalite whilst CharlieG gunner in 42Cdo in Aden covering the withdrawal. I have a decent scanned pic of it somewhere i'll try and find. There's also some footage of him online too (which is a bit weird seeing him both alive and looking ally at half the age I am now).

FWIW he didn't think much to its effectiveness compared to That Rifle.