M.O.D. loses wills of British heroes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ex-Grenadier, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another blunder by the M.O.D. is reported in the Daily Mail.

The last wishes of soldiers killed in Afghanistan are not being honoured because the wills of fallen heroes are being lost by bungling officials. The heartbreaking mistakes by the Ministry of Defence have caused deep rifts between the dead men's grieving families and other bereaved loved ones.

This latest major & unforgivable blunder by the M.O.D. comes when the British economy is in fiscal meltdown, Government spending is outstripping tax revenues, borrowing is increasing beyond our ability to repay, and poverty and unemployment are at record levels, yet the Government has just announced a further £255 million aid package to Afghanistan.

This is a totally disgraceful & perverse decision given that British servicemen & women are losing their lives in Afghanistan largely due to the failure of Government to provide the appropriate equipment. The time has come for a crackdown on the extremists living within Britain’s borders, and our troops should be here at home rooting out this home-grown cancer rather than spilling their blood in an American-directed foreign war which has nothing to do with us.

2. That's hardly surprising. Several months after my Medical Discharge I was sent my Will. Fortunately I never kicked-the-bucket whilst in service as it was one that I'd made out whilst still single and all my worldly possessions were to be bequeathed to my mate. That was in 1986 and since then I had re-written my Will several times and my wife and two children were to receive my estate, the last time being in 2005. So feck knows which filing cabinet all the later ones were stashed in.

3. I bet your mate was guttered.

4. Bring back the Manning and Record Offices!

5. It is wrong to say that "British servicemen & women are losing their lives in Afghanistan largely due to the failure of Government to provide the appropriate equipment". Soldiers are dying due to a rediculously poor strategy and ineffective tactics in the face of IEDs. It is far too easy to blame politicians when the mistakes are being made by our own commanders at the highest level. Of course, an unlimited amount of resources would be helpful but, as we all know, this is not cost effective or sustainable. The most sensible approach would be to involve the Taliban in talks.

6. Wrong thread, Phil.

The MOD didnt lose my Will, but they did lose all of my medical records. Tossers.

7. Quote
    Ex-Grenadier:
    "This is a totally disgraceful & perverse decision given that British servicemen & women are losing their lives in Afghanistan largely due to the failure of Government to provide the appropriate equipment. The time has come for a crackdown on the extremists living within Britain’s borders, and our troops should be here at home rooting out this home-grown cancer rather than spilling their blood in an American-directed foreign war which has nothing to do with us. "

MOD couldn't run a bath, apparently. But we knew that. Well said Sir, and someone at least with the balls to say this. Cracking down on Extremism in UK is long overdue, too. However: cutting a path through the ever growing PC and diversity stormtroopers, the militant, naive , students and savvy incomers, would be your first task. Far too late for all of this now. We are to "embrace the rich diversity of multicultural Britain". Never mind the victims and implications of this madness.

8. I have never had a military will. My will was drawn up by a civvie solicitor (cost about 45 quid) original held by my bank (free of charge) and copies held at home. A civvie solicitor will write it in such a way that future events like having kids are taken into account.

I would never trust the miitary system with something this important.

9. The only thing I trust them with now is my annual pension increase - and thats only cos I have no choice in the matter!

10. (My bold) said cabinet was probably sold, with contents, to Iraq along with other army surplus.

11. when a will is completed by a Service Person it is placed into an containing envelope and then a covering envelope with a form stating who's will it is. This is then posted to JPAC at Kentigern House in Glasgow. From there it should be stored until replaced with a new one and the original will returned to the SP or death when it is released and sent to JCC and onwards to the Executing Officer.

There are therefore 3 places where it could go astray

1. Unit HR to JPAC.
    2. JPAC.
    3. JPAC to JCCC .

I'm putting my money on JPAC strangely enough.

12. This seems like an apologetic for the Liebour (mis)Government rather than an expression of reality.

The Army has announced that Muslims living in this country are one of the largest manufacturers and suppliers of Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) electronic triggers being used in Afghanistan against British soldiers.

When the British Army was faced with a hostile local IRA-supporting population in Northern Ireland, they did not hesitate to go in and track down the source of the bomb-makers’ equipment and support network.

Now, however, because these devices are being made by Islamists in Britain whom the government is too scared to offend, they seem to be able to carry on freely to the point where they are responsible for the majority of British soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

I opposed Britain's engagement in Afghanistan from the outset, yet have continued to support our brave Service personnel in the conflict. As a proud Briton who believes all people have the right to self-determination within their own nation state, I say let the people of Afghanistan determine their own future! The Government should only commit British forces when British national interests are at stake. In short adopt a policy of armed neutrality.

Due to the foregoing, I repeat that far from holding discussions with the Taliban there should be a managed withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan because the time has come for a crackdown on these extremists living within Britain’s borders, and our troops should be here at home rooting out this home-grown cancer rather than spilling their blood in an American-directed foreign war which has nothing to do with us.

13. msr

msr LE

And interestingly TA units have been told they are not to hand out will forms or hold the will of TA soldiers.

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Best option.

15. When serving, I completed an MOD Form 106 (?) and it was duly signed, sealed and delivered to my Manning and Record Office where it was kept and returned to me on discharge some 20-odd years later. In the intervening period, I'd made a will using the excellent package sold by WH Smith (Menzies or whichever) for £12.00 or somesuch. This strangely coincided with the advent of APC Glasgow and the (sad) closure of the MROs. Little did I realise that such an important form could be lost with such harmful consequences.

The Daily Wail seems to be getting hot under the collar about this and I can see why but put another way, Glasgow probably holds upwards of 150,000 Wills for personnel and to only lose 5 is a pretty good batting average! And if I read if correctly, they are all our friends from the Royal Marines although I stand to be corrected. Maybe their unit admin needs a swift kicking.

Having siad that, I would urge anyone to give the MOD Form 106 a miss and buy one of these Wills packs.