M.O.D At War With "Syndrome" Vets.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ALVIN, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our beloved Ministry Of Defence are to challenge the umbrella term Gulf War Syndrome at the court of appeal regarding the grounds for veterans war pensions claims.

I thought that 85,000 victims on both sides of the Atlantic could not be wrong!

Not including the estimated 11,000 veterans that have already died. source ..... First Gulf War still claims lives

Check this out ..... Doubt over Gulf War Syndrome decision | Mail Online

These sons of bitches just wont give up, will they ?

2. This Government won't. Not by a long chalk. And they haven't even started yet, so stand by, there's more to come from the Soldier's Friend and in the opening sentence of any mealy mouthed explanation as to why they are shafting you, will be an assertion that they inherited the problem from Labour and that it's all their fault. If they win it, and in this case the Judge's decision is reported to be final, then just watch them look for a way in to every war pension that they can.

3. Did you notice that the article in your first link is dated January 2006 and the second originally published February 2003?

Just wondering why you picked out these two reports...

ETA I googled a phrase from the Mail article as it was not dated - the clue was that they were no longer accepting comment (usually indicates archived material) and found this:

Iraq Crisis: Gulf War syndrome tribunal delayed. - Free Online Library

4. Your link doesnt say that how many have died due to Gulf War Syndrome.

5. Breaking news indeed :)

Copyright 2003 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd

6. Issue hasn't gone away, however old the Daily Spleen's report:
    BBC5.tv eyePlayer - Beyond Treason

Gotta wonder what happens if Unca Sam ever gives in to the evidence, and UK tries not to . . .

7. Given that most of the alleged causative agents suspected behind GWS were also present during Telic 1, would we not expect to see a second batch of cases any time soon?

8. Not with the same cocktail of innoculations and DEET. But I have two fine children, my health is fine and have never been sure about the whole GWS thing. But then my Father died from contact with dye chemicals at Lansil, he was 22 when he worked as a lab technician in the late 50's, for just 6 months, but the cancer that killed him was a recognised by product of the Lansil plant. We can only wait out and see what comes from the vast cocktail of uncertified crap that we got, not to mention DU and the endless stream of burnt oil residue that we inhaled for months.

9. My bold. In my unit we all had the same dosage didn't matter whether you weighed 6 stone or 16 stone all got the same. Also all the carsogenics[sp] that are found in burning oil probably didn't help. In Kuwait City when the wind was blowing in the wrong direction we lost the sun and even daylight for days at a time and everything got covered in a fine oily residue.

CG

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I personally have had no ill effects from the various inoculations from GW1. I don't doubt that it effected some though, 2 in 3 got quite ill from the various injections at the time in my experience. I also didn't bother taking the NAPS tablets we were given. The idea that it was optional at the time is complete rubbish and a blatant lie by the MoD and government..

My saving grace might have been the fact I flew out of Kuwait within 3 days of the cease fire so didn't hang around breathing in all the shit from the oil fires.

It does come back to Tommy this and Tommy that. Heroes while winning wars but they couldn't give a shit about soldiers afterwards if it might cost a few quid. I doubt it will ever change, they don't deserve the sacrifices given for them, but at least we appreciate each other, outside the NAAFI of course. ;-)

11. I'm struggling to understand how "I chose not to take 'em" would square in a Court of Law your assertion of it NOT being optional - I trust when called to the witness stand, you will clarify that whilst it was mandatory, the supervision was lackadaisical and incompetent . . . or better yet, that you had to work bloody hard to convince yr very-zealous Gaffer that you had in fact taken 'medicines' of which, in fact, you were deeply suspicious, and which you now believe to have contributed to significant harm suffered by many of your comrades.

And no - I am not jesting in the slightest.

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I meant the injections not the tablets, sorry you couldn't figure that out.

I didn't take the tablets because you had to do it every eight hours, mostly we were inconveniently asleep or otherwise engaged when the time came round.

I never mentioned lackadaisical or incompetent supervision, nobody checked we took the tablets.

I never had a gaffer, thats a civvy thing.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

13. No apology required: between your punctuation and my Auntie Stella's dodgy grasp of dodgy English, the mishtake was entirely undershtandable . .

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No real apology was offered, you are a civvy with no idea what you are talking about.

15. No: I'm a retired regular infantry officer with 30 years service between 1973 and that twat B'liar lying British troops into two unmanaged conflicts, one of which was entirely needless.

Whether or not I know what I'm talking about is often a moot point, so I'll try very hard - just this once - not to take offence at your mannerless reply.