M.I.A.S.C. what was it ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Fuzzy_Wuzzy, Nov 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been asked by somebody who is researching their family tree if I know what unit these initials stand for. They appear on a marriage certificate around the time of WW1, which details the groom as a Private in the MIASC. A quick trawl of the web has produced nothing apart from a listing on a war memorial. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks

FW

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Something is saying [***] Indian Army Service Corps - insert Mysore? Sot in the dark, but might hit something.

Good hunting - it can be very frustrating.

3. A suggestion - is the 'I' actually a 'T'? They can look similar in some scripts.

That would make him Motor Transport, ASC - which is a fairly common term in WW1 documents.

Do they/you know what his service number was? WW1 ASC numbers can give some clues.

MfB

4. Considering the possibility of it being MTASC then possibly it's Military Train Army Service Corps. There were certainly Divisional Military Trains.
    I have scant info on these as it's not really my field.

Downloading his Medal Index Card from the National Archives might help.

5. blue-sophist

We need to know if I or T, methinks!

It would also help if the surname might indicate the groom being of Indian origin, although he could equally have been a Brit serving in/with Indian Army.

Listening Out

6. Thanks for the replies lads. I had considered the Indian Army route but can confirm that the groom was English although I suppose that doesn't mean that he couldn't have been in the Indian Army. I can also confirm that it is definitely an 'I' not 'T'. The only other reference I can find is a war memorial with a Pte Trevelyan also listed as M.I.A.S.C.

I am waiting for some more info as to where he married and dates served etc. Perhaps the National Army Museum will know what it means? I am away for the next week or so but might try and get in contact with them when I return.

FW

7. See also this and the actual note. Also listed as Pte MIASC attch WG in Dec 1917.

8. Military Intelligence ____ ____ ____ ?

9. blue-sophist

"And Sneaky C???"

Attached WG looks like bad career move if he was ASC.
    Google unhelpful, unless he had a French Degree.
    Will keep rummaging bookshelves.

10. Indian army service corps got the royal prefix in 1918 along with the RASC.

Reverted to IASC in 1947

'Member Institute of Applied Science' perhaps

11. Mounted Infantry, Ally Sloper's Cavalry??

12. blue-sophist

And there we were, trying to be helpful :lol: It just collapeses after a couple of posts, wherever you look!

13. OK, MIASC it is - which means I don't have a clue.

It doesn't help that the 'other' MIASC guy (William B Trevelyan on Uplowman War Memorial) doesn't appear to be in CWGC, SDGW or the medal index cards, so no clues there. The nearest is a 'William H Trevillian' ASC on the medal cards.

The 1914 establishment of an infantry battalion included 4 ASC drivers, so the 'attached WG' makes sense.

You could try to get hold of a copy of ASC 1902-1918 by Michael Young, this is full of obscure detail about the ASC. Young was, I believe, curator of the RCT Museum - no idea if he still is, or who owns the RCT museum these days. RLC?

Of course, all this assumes ASC = Army Service Corps.

MfB

14. blue-sophist

1. OK, I've applied magnifying glass to stylish script in "diary", now sure it's "I" = MIASC. Not "S" [comparing later letter], and not "T". They could write in those days :)
    2. Done "Regimental Badges" (Maj T J Edwards MBE FRHistS, 1951) cover to cover. Some fascinating and catchy TA/Volunteer titles, such as "The Royal East Kent Yeomanry [The Duke of Connaught's Own][Mounted Rifles] REKY(DCO)(MR) ? - but no luck.
    3. Done list of Regiments of British Indian Army 1903 - http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/List+of+Regiments+of+the+British+Indian+Army+(1903) I just loved "The Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway Rifles" (MSMRR) :) but no help here either.

Thinking 'I' could be Imperial, Independent .... 'M' could be Motorised as suggested ....

aaargh :?

15. Okay, you want helpful...I must have misunderstood!

Then let me help with this observation. A Pte of European origin is unlikely to have served in an Indian regiment or corps.

Also M.I. - could it refer to a place of origin? the M****** Islands for example? Malta, Madagascar - I don't know I'm just trying to think outside the box here.

frustrating as heck!