M.E. in the Military

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by J_D, Oct 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. J_D

J_D LE

My brother is thinking of joining the Army. Problem is that he has M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) since he was 13 years of age.

It does not affect him unlike it did a few years ago. He does get worn out quicker than the average person but nothing a good diet and sleep can't cure.

He was a very active person and he wants to get back to some sort of normal life. Does any one know the stance on this with in the Military?

I have M.E. but it never affected me to the point that your bed ridden so I was able to by-pass a lot and not get noticed. The docs knew I have this condition but as long as I stood by their guide lines, it was all good.

If he was to attempt to join up and the Medical shows he was out of School for 2 years due to this, would this stop him? He is a lot better now and the docs do say he won't take a bad turn again and have said he would be fit enough for an active service.

Can some one please advise?

2. It depends wether your Doctor is a total arrse or not becuase don't forgot it's him who signs the forms. I'd get him to speak to his local Doc or the ACIO or even ring the RSC centre to find out how it stands.

Sorry I can't be much help :wink:
  3. J_D

J_D LE

Thanks CR, its better than not knowing nothing.
  4. I'd tell your brother to apply, he'll either get in or he won't. I think from what I've read and as it stands he'll be fine.

Your Doctor said he won't take a wrong turn and he's fit enough for service, nothing else can be asked for really. I don't think he'll have any problems.
  5. How old is he? I would imagine the Army would want atleast 5 clean years of clearence from his last bout or attack of M.E
  6. J_D

J_D LE

20 years old in 1 month. He did home schooling as it was less stress for him in the long run. He has not had a relapse from M.E. since just after his 16th birthday.

7. Anya, are you also known as 'Vicky Pollard' ??!!! :lol:

8. Top advice ... no, really ... :roll:

WTF have you based this judgement on ???!!!

Not even remotely qualified :lol:
  9. J_D

J_D LE

Nope, got no advice don't bother please.
  10. It's a bit of a mixed bag. Unfortunatly there's quite a few people that 'claim' M.E. and quite a few doctors that misdiagnose it.

Example 1 - Girl that I went to college with: Had a year out of school with fatigue but diagnosed with M.E. Has no re-lapses or lasting problems. Would be fine in the forces.

Example 2 - My mum: Has had M.E. for 13 years and suffers from it all the time. Would stand no chance on a military application.

I don't want to call your brother (or indeed yourself) a "faker", but it is important to have these things diagnosed properly.
  11. "Gets tired easily, needs a good diet and sleep. Did home schooling as it was less stressful".

Sorry but the Army is not the place for your brother. This may sound harsh but the Army is very tiring, good diet is by no means guaranteed and sleep deprivation on ops is the norm. We also live with a higher level of stress than most civilian occupations.

Rather than put himself through various tests and interviews, setting himself up for rejection, he might be better off looking at something more suitable. There are lots of very good civilian occupations which involve working outdoors, being in teams and require some physical fitness. Better to look elsewhere.

Sorry to be negative but I think it's more honest.

12. That is my advice, stop writing like a Chav.

Or, even better, post this query in the RAMC forum, you might get some replies from people who are professionally qualified to give correct guidance.

Good to see your ME hasn't stopped you doing all that 'charity work' in Eastern Europe.
  13. If your brother is truthful during his application/interview/medical phase he does not stand a chance. If he manages to cover it up he will get found out once in trg, let alone on Ex/Ops where he will be a liability to himself and others. The Army is no place for an ME sufferer.
  14. Anya,

As you're obviously aware, M.E is characterised by chronic fatigue, which is not conducive to life in the military. I have a good friend who has suffered with M.E for years, and she has to manage her life very carefully as regards diet, rest, sleep etc.
    I dont know the current stance on recruitment of M.E sufferers, but even if he is allowed to join, I would advise against it. Even if by some superhuman effort, he manages to fight against the symptoms and make a good fist off things, he will be perpetually exhausted, and service life will quickly become a nightmare rather than the fulfilling challenge it should be.
    Slightly off topic, but do you both consume a lot of food and drink containing ASPARTAME diet Coke for instance?
  15. J_D

J_D LE

I wasn't writing like a chav you prat. And my M.E. is at the lowest form, it has never affected me apart from becoming tired What I do with my life is my business. Like I said, if you have no advice apart from trying to be a smart arse, do not bother!

I don't drink alot of fizzy drinks etc. My brother does for the suger rush but he should know better. I eat healthy, fresh fruit, veg, meat etc. It has always made me feel better.

Keep up with the iron intake via food and Vit. tablets and watch how I take direction with my life, works for me. I am lucky compared to others. I know how bad it can get due to my brother and I know I'll never be that bad.