• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

M-16 Still Hot Enough for US Marines

DavidBOC said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Stonker said:
pommydigger said:
the jubes . . . at Kapooka.
. . . . sounds like a post-modern punk rock band . . . but a very quick map google tells me that Kapooka = Blamey Bks, "Home of the Australian soldier" so at a guess "jube" = "sprog" "trog" or "crow" :?
If Stonker as a Brit needs clarification on Aussie slang, I realize why I so often feel lost on ARRSE with the many colo(u)rful yet witty idioms and 'culture" specific terms. :D
You're not alone, if it's any consolation.
Now that really speaks volumes! :D
JJH:

As a fellow Septic I fully understand. Some of the terms took me a while. However I finally have gotten to understand the rhyming slang and realize the origin of "Septic"

I am now thinking about what would rhyme with "Brit" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I first encountered that at uni in 1989. I was wandering around wondering 'What's a 'septic'?' then I asked someone, who explained...I still think it's a bit harsh...

Stonker said:
auscam said:
tearsbeforebedtime said:
auscam said:
... Pommy bastards.
Oh come on, thats not fair! Whinging pommy bastards...
You'd never hear an Aussie whinging, no fear :wink:
. . . . but that would only be down to my high tone deafness, shurely :D :wink:
Strine is the only thing that turns me into an instant snob? I don't why either? And the universal Californian/Australian interrogative? It makes me want to kill?

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

auscam said:
I know better than to ask for an explanation, as it is usually accompanied by a tirade of Aussiephobic prejudice. Pommy bastards.
Ever wonder why?

:D

Bravo_Bravo said:
auscam said:
I know better than to ask for an explanation, as it is usually accompanied by a tirade of Aussiephobic prejudice. Pommy bastards.
Ever wonder why?

:D
Uh

(furrows wide, low, sloping brow. Scratches head, finds something crawling in matted, never-cut, greasy hair. Eats it)

No