Lynx Mk9A better than Wildcat?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by crashtestdummy1910, Dec 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard the Lynx Mk9A has just arrived up North, with just a few teething problems to be sure, but hopefully nothing too serious.
    I am just wondering why dont we just scrap the Wildcat and convert to 9A's, As far as i can see, if Wildcat comes in it will have minimal improvement over current lynx due to airframe weight increase, whereas 9a's give the fleet a truely useful ability, hey maybe thats just me.
  2. You're getting the Wildcat as a) the 7 needs replacing, and b) so does the 8.

If the Army hadn't bought into the replacement helicopter, the Navy wouldn't get a replacement helicopter.

Just as happened 30+ years ago.

AFAIU, the 9a is a utility, whereas Wildcat has a sensor-fit, albeit not where you'd get best use out of it. But then again, Grey Lynx don't get to hide behind trees too often.
  3. I would imagine that even the 9a's are getting long in the tooth now so eventually they will have to go. Look on the bright side you'll get a new A/C to play with, hopefully Full FADEC, Glass Cockpit, integrated NAV and AP with auto coupled ILS. (Well you have to dream)..

It's back to the usual "either this or nothing" and I know which would get my vote.
  4. The 9s arrived at Dishforth in the summer of 92, amid a flurry of broken nosewheel locking pins. I would imagine they've clocked-up a fair few hours by now, ferrying around and about small groups of blokes in light-order, senior officers and pizzas.
  5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I broke the first one, I broke the first one ner ner ner ner
  6. I thought Wastelands did that when they bolted those bloody ugly wheels on the side, what a lash up...
  7. Give them a little credit - the 9 gave them the opportunity to offload a shed-full of Whirlwind legs.
  8. Harsh

But fair....
  9. As an observation, it wasn't well received at the post-factory-visit bunfight.

But you know me - subtle as a house-brick. :D
  10. No doubt that will explain your ticket to the launch of the Wildcat not arriving on time.. :D :D

As subtle the Wastelands wheels. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Thats not much you can say in response to that, mate!
  12. An inventive use of available resources :lol: If you wanted go faster wheels i'm sure they could knock some out for an extra million or four :twisted: