Lyndhurst New Forest & Bath visit

Need a bit of advice, please.

Due to all sorts of miserable reasons I have two full days to spend in these two places.
With a gap of two days in between....

Been to both places (L: done the walk and cicyle ride around the village, visited the tourist thing by the car park and visited most shops, pubs and eating places there, B: seen all the usual sights such as the church, baths, weir, Crescent etc.) so I need something 'alternative'.
Any suggestions for a place, museum, something a little out of the ordinary, where I could keep myself occupied for, say, 2-5 hours? In each place.
I do not intend sitting in a pub ALL that time, but a good pint of bitter would be supped along the way, I imagine.

By the way, does anyone know any decent 2ndhand bookshops in both places? I'm very much into George Mallory and Ypres 1914-'18.

Thanx for your attention, I hope!

In Bath there is a good Oxfam bookshop, one of the largest I've seen, can't remember the streeet but you can Google it. There is also an antique bookshop on the road leading out of the station (with the cop shop on it).

I'd always recommend a walk round Victoria Park if you havn't done so. Some small botanical gardens at the back.

Recommend the raven or salamander pubs for food (street behind house of Fraser). Also , if you head off down the side streets on the right as you head up the main shopping street, you'll find some cracking little chubby hole pubs. Cor De lion and the green tree are worth finding. Fitting in the the sm.all space is another matter.

You could also pop on the train for 10 minutes for a look around Bradford and Avon. Beautifiul place if you hack't been. Massive tythe barn and some good architecture to look at.

Thanks Tibbins!
Found the Raven, looks very nice.
I'll be staying at Queen Sq, so the Victoria Park and the book shop near the station should be just right.

Thanks!
The car place?
I'm dependant on the buses, is it do-able in a day?
You have the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu House (which was an SOE HQ in WW2 and, IIRC, there is some interesting stuff in the house, the abbey ruins and Bucklers Hard (where they made warships) nearby. Cracking pubs in both Beaulieu and Bucklers.

Not sure about busses, but I can't imaging it is much more than an hour trip.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can also heartily recommend from Saturday night's personal experience - Ringwood Brewery tour. http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/tours

Not least for the opportunity to try their current 'winter-warmer' the rather chewy but memorable ' Ringwood xxXx Porter '
xxxx-porter74.png

Last edited:
I can also heartily recommend from Saturday night's personal experience - Ringwood Brewery tour. http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/tours

Not least for the opportunity to try their current 'winter-warmer' the rather chewy but memorable ' Ringwood xxXx Porter '
xxxx-porter74.png
You are making me want a pint now!

To the OP, I'd recommend the Crystal Palace (near the Abbey) and the salamander if you want to take on the local ale.

The palace has bellringer on draft (as may the cor de lion). Salamander is a bath ales pub with around 8 of their own brews on. One of my favorite beers is Bath Spa which they serve here. It's around the 3.5% mark so you can drink more!

Thanks for all the replies.
Will probably visit Beaulieu and have a stroll around Bath, VictoriabPark, The Raven and a decent book shop!
At least something to look forward to!

Well, all turned out to be very enjoyable.

Around Bournemouth we didn't manage any proper pubs but we did drink the Ringwood dry in the Premier Inn at Somerford. Rather poor show that they actually run out of the only stuff worth drinking there! Had a lovely wintery stroll around Lyndhurst & Lymington. A great lunch was had at the White Buck in Burley. I'm very happy to say that the new gaffer (well, as far as I am concerned she is new..) has sorted the interior, staff and kitchen out. An excellent lunch.
1foto.JPG

Bath was very good. Got a briliant book on my old friend Bairnsfather at a lovely 2nd hand bookshop on the corner of Margaret's Buildings and Catherine Place. Had lunch at The Raven, whilst they were filming the 2015 Xmas special of Sherlock Holmes. Good beer (Flashmans) and a great pie. Went back there later for a pint that evening but got bored out of the place by 'interesting, drunk people'.
Staggered on to the Saracen (best Fish & Chips in Bath) but their beer was off, too! Fukcing unbelievable. So, finshed off the night in the very excellent "Old GreenTree".What a fantastic pub that was. Alas, also with a boring 'interesting' smartass in there.

Better late than never........ if you have reason to go back to Aquae Sulis after April, do do this:
http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/ very amusing, or at least it was a few years ago.

Well, all turned out to be very enjoyable.

Around Bournemouth we didn't manage any proper pubs but we did drink the Ringwood dry in the Premier Inn at Somerford. Rather poor show that they actually run out of the only stuff worth drinking there! Had a lovely wintery stroll around Lyndhurst & Lymington. A great lunch was had at the White Buck in Burley. I'm very happy to say that the new gaffer (well, as far as I am concerned she is new..) has sorted the interior, staff and kitchen out. An excellent lunch.
View attachment 192793

Bath was very good. Got a briliant book on my old friend Bairnsfather at a lovely 2nd hand bookshop on the corner of Margaret's Buildings and Catherine Place. Had lunch at The Raven, whilst they were filming the 2015 Xmas special of Sherlock Holmes. Good beer (Flashmans) and a great pie. Went back there later for a pint that evening but got bored out of the place by 'interesting, drunk people'.
Staggered on to the Saracen (best Fish & Chips in Bath) but their beer was off, too! Fukcing unbelievable. So, finshed off the night in the very excellent "Old GreenTree".What a fantastic pub that was. Alas, also with a boring 'interesting' smartass in there.
Saracen can be hit and miss on the beer. Glad you made it to the green tree as it has cracking beer and is an interesting 'cubby hole'

Last edited: