Lying Journalist Meets Her Match

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Mikal, Sep 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Orignal found here
    News & Star | News | Journalist jailed for making hoax calls to Cumbrian mountain rescue team

Journalist jailed for making hoax calls to Cumbrian mountain rescue team
    Last updated at 14:20, Thursday, 23 September 2010

A freelance journalist who made hoax calls to emergency services in the aftermath of the November floods has been jailed for 105 days.

Sarah CrickmerSarah Louise Crickmer, 27, of West Square, Scarborough, was found guilty earlier this month of two counts of sending false messages by a public communication network to cause annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety.

At her sentencing hearing today, district judge Gerald Chalk said: “It is hard to imagine a more inappropriate time to make such malicious phone calls than around the time of the appalling floods.”

West Allerdale magistrates heard Crickmer, who had been drinking, made three phone calls to Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team deputy leader Julian Carradice about the fake emergency, along with two calls to police.

The calls prompted 30 Keswick rescuers to spend 90 minutes preparing for a rescue before Crickmer admitted she had made up the story.

Crickmer, who has issues with alcohol, did not appear at her two-day trial because she had suffered a relapse.

The court was told police went to the hotel to question Crickmer after mountain rescuers became suspicious and found her sleeping in the hotel lounge.

She told the officers that she had spoken to some walkers who claimed a member of their party had broken his leg on the mountain and rescuers were not responding.

She confessed after being asked if she was lying.

Crickmer was arrested and Keswick rescue team leader Mark Hodgson stood down the rescuers, some of whom had been waiting at the foot of Skiddaw for details of the fake casualty’s location.

Forensic officers examined Crickner’s laptop and found a pre-written article on it which began “Mountain rescuers were said to be mortified” and evidence that she had been researching the area’s geography.

After the trial, Mr Hodgson said: “Our staff are hugely dedicated and put in a huge amount of time and effort into making sure we help others.

“We wasted a lot of time on the night the defendant decided to call us out. We had 30 men and women, who give up their own free time to do this, ready and willing to look for someone that wasn’t there.

“Some people might find it funny to make hoax calls; they might think it’s funny to see the blue, flashing lights go past them but every time that happens we are taken away from someone who might really need us.”

First published at 14:15, Thursday, 23 September 2010

2. Not bad looking at all, assuming that`s a recent piccy. But, she does have problems with alcohol, so, final judgement reserved. I`m sure the bull dykes will help sort her problems out though - or make them worse!

3. An idiot, got what she deserved.

BofB, may I point out that the quotation in your signature should read;

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard."

'I have never seen me fight so hard' sounds like Wilhelm is boasting about a brawl he had in the bier keller.

4. Times are hard, obviously, for freelancers with a drink problem to support.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

She deserves everything she gets, and more besides.

Unfortunately this may become a more common occurrence, now that 'himself' is flying SAR from the Valley.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So, instead of making up a story because there wasn't one to justify her income, she thought she'd make the story and waste the time and resources of a Mountain Rescue team. She should get a job at The Scum; when she gets out that is. Bitch.

7. For Onetap:

No, apparently the quote is quite correct: See here, under the year 1944:

World War 2 Famous Quotes - Worldwar-2.net

There are some really good ones on there.

Plus, it may well be in keeping with the type of guy he was – I put this on the "Barrister shot by police - lawful killing or not?" thread a couple of days ago (Entry Nr. 103 on Page 6 of 7). The author appears to have used up his supply of commas so I`ve added a few, just to make it easier to read!

"There's a good book that touches parts of this topic, it's The Order of the Death`s Head, written in the 1960s and, till then, the only critical but unbiased book about the Waffen-SS. The part about SS-Lt Gen Wilhelm Bittrich is very interesting. He was in command of II. SS-Armoured Corps during the aftermath of D-Day and is said to have met Rommel four days before the assassination attempt. According to him, Rommel wanted to sound out whether Bittrich would be behind him in the case of a successful coup against Hitler. Bittrich, who already believed that the war was lost, agreed upon that and vowed to fully support Rommel with all his subordinate officers.

Bittrich was probably the only positive head within the upper echelons of the Waffen-SS. Due to his sarcasm, criticism of the Nazi party (despite being a Nazi himself), amazing traces of humanity and cases of extreme insubordination (humanity may sound too unproper here, but it is amazing to hear that an SS general punished war criminals, offered truces to his enemies and refused orders he regarded as too lossy and risky) and he was provably on the black list of Heinrich Himmler, who repeatedly tried to remove him from his command and is said to even have marked him for death."

As can be gleaned from the second paragraph, Bittrich was probably quite accomplished at the art of creating a witty turn of phrase – and perhaps even a somewhat self-deprecatory one, if it was appropriate. After all, a few guys in maroon berets did cause him and his armoured division quite a headache, especially when they were expecting to be taking a mini-holiday before meeting Patton.

8. Journalist with "drink issues". How times change. In the good old days the only drink issue for journalists for the red tops was whether they could hold a pen long enough to make up a story and file copy, since Fleet Street pubs were one of the few places with extended opening hours.

9. Yeah, it's a typo in the English translation.

10. It isn't funny in German, so I'd go with that (Nie, in alle meiner Jahren als Soldat, sah ich mich so schwer streiten or something like that)

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I am not clear why this landed in the Old n Bold but I am glad that you gentlemen have turned it into a discussion about a WW2 quotation which is more in line with the ethos of this forum :)

12. Quite so, it is a tradition of this forum that members should have no idea of the topic under discussion.
    Or is that the House of Lords? I forget.

Anyway, it was a 10 word aside about BofB's quote which has turned out to be far more interesting than the halfwitted drunken reporter.

Wkiquote ( Wilhelm Bittrich - Wikiquote ) had the same misquote, if you look at the discussion page, but it was corrected on 19/3/2008. If you Google for it, the misquotation (I have never seen me fight so hard) has spread all over the internet like a virus. It's amazing how many people have copied and pasted such a baltantly obvious bit of bollocks.

13. Indeed, the quote from Bittrich actually appears in the book "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan, on page 379 according to Google Books. The necessary amendments have been made; "me" to "men" and, according to Ryan, he said it "during", not "after" the battle.

Everything that one learns about him indicates that he was a very fair and worthy opponent, as the content of this webpage indicates:

Wilhelm Bittrich (February 26, 1894 – April 19, 1979) was an SS-Obergruppenführer and Waffen-SS General during World War II.

Overview

Born in Wernigerode in the Harz mountains of Germany, Bittrich served as an army officer and fighter pilot during World War I and was also a member of the Freikorps. He joined the SS-Verfügungstruppe in 1934 and the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler in 1939. He was in command of the Deutschland Regiment during the fighting in Poland (1939) and France (1940).

Later he assumed command over the 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich and the II SS-Panzerkorps (Hohenstaufen & Frundsberg Divisions). He is perhaps now best remembered for his contribution to the defeat of the failed allied airborne offensive Operation Market Garden which took place in the Netherlands in September 1944. Bittrich also commanded a corps in the German defense against the Vienna Offensive from April 2 to April 13, 1945. Bittrich survived the War and died in a local hospital in Wolfratshausen, Bavaria on April 19, 1979.

Bittrich was a source for Cornelius Ryan in researching A Bridge Too Far. During the interview he is reported to have been most concerned with correcting inaccurate reports that he was a skilled concert pianist. He claimed these reports stemmed from confusion with his brother.

Postwar Prosecution

General Bittrich is regarded as one of the few Waffen-SS officers who largely behaved with integrity and chivalry throughout the war. After his arrest on May 8, 1945 he was extradited to France on charges of having ordered the execution of 17 members of the Resistance in Nimes. The trial revealed that Bittrich had not given such an order and had even opened procedures against the responsible officers. As the commander in charge of the culprits, he was held responsible for the misconduct of his subordinate troops and sentenced to five years in prison. The sentence was considered as served after a long pretrial detention. He was put on trial for a second time in 1953, but was acquitted by the French court in Bordeaux again and released in 1954 .

Opposition of the Nazi Party

General Bittrich was among a circle of young Reichswehr officers who appreciated the SS' military doctrine and took the opportunity to form the new service. He always described himself as convinced of large parts of the Nazi ideology, but felt disdain for his "incompetent" leaders and thought the regime's crimes would violate an officer's sense of honour.

According to Heinz Höhne, Bittrich vowed to support a plot against the Nazi regime on July 15, 1944 when he met Erwin Rommel and promised that he and his troops were at Rommel's disposal if the Field Marshal requested so, but like many he warned that Hitler had to be removed from power first. This condition was never met. Bittrich is also reported to have been the most sarcastic man in Germany. He was allegedly marked for death by Heinrich Himmler in 1945 as a result of the extremely unflattering comments he made about the Nazi leadership. In any case it is known that his superiors tried to replace him by force several times; during Operation Market Garden in 1944, Himmler had sent "Reichsarzt-SS" Karl Gebhardt to relieve Bittrich from his command and bring him back to Berlin.

Following operation Market-Garden in 1944, Albert Speer visited the frontlines and had an opportunity to meet General Bittrich. Speer later wrote:

"Other visits (to the front) showed me that efforts were being made on the Western Front to arrange agreements with the enemy upon special problems. At Arnhem, I found General Bittrich of the Waffen-SS in a state of fury. The day before, his Second Tank Corps had virtually wiped out a British airborne division. During the fighting the general had made an arrangement permitting the enemy to run a field hospital behind the German lines. But party functionaries had taken it upon themselves to kill captured British and American pilots, and Bittrich looked like a liar. His violent denunciation of the party was all the more striking since it came from an SS general."

After his unit had been tasked with the defence of Vienna in spring 1945, Bittrich immediately pulled his troops out of the city to save it from destruction despite the order to hold Vienna "to the last breath".

His Wikipedia page in German is also worth a read – it contains a lot more information than the English page (which is basically all that above) – and another German one about warriors that won the Knights Cross to the Iron Cross. Some snippets from them both:

"In 1916 he joined the fledgling Air Force and, as a pilot in a fighter squadron, earned both classes of the Iron Cross." The Iron Cross website says he won the awards in an infantry battalion!

"From 1925 Bittrich worked as a flight instructor on the secret build up of the German Air Force on Soviet soil at Lipetsk."

"For his autonomous decision to break through the Moscow guard position, he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 14 December 1941." "….he was ordered to reach the Moscow guard position along the old post road Gshatsk-Moshaisk and to carry out reconnaisance. On finding a weak spot, at around 13:00, the regiment attacked the defensive system of the opponent at a point on the railway line. By evening they had broken through into enemy area on a front of about 1000 meters and to a depth of 500 meters. Thereby, large quantities of weapons were seized."

"From March 1944 it fought as part of the II SS Panzer Corps in the war against the Soviet Union around the area of Tarnopol, where it relieved the encircled German 1. Panzer Army." Plus lots of other activity in Russia – later against the Resistance in France.

(Abridged) – "After the Allied invasion on 6 June 1944, the II SS Panzer Corps …relocated to France, where on 29 June 1944 Bittrich was appointed to Commanding General of the Corps. Under his leadership….fought on the invasion front around Caen, on 20/21. August, and with heavy losses, it broke out of the Falaise pocket and freed the trapped 7th Army and the 5th Panzer Army. For his lead performance in this operation he received promotion to SS General and General of the Waffen-SS…and the Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross."

Operation Market Garden: Yup, by this time well qualified to pass judgement on the fighting qualities of British paratroopers!

Ardennes – he took part in it. Then off to Hungary, the defence of Vienna, concluding with a fighting retreat to surrender to the Septics.

This I found most interesting:

"The following passage is from a letter he wrote on 19 May 1977, two years before his death, to the Federal Director of the "National Association of Former Soldiers of the Waffen-SS e.V." and it may provide an indication of his view of things:

`I earnestly request that my funeral be held with no speeches that contain any links to the contributions of the deceased. I would be most grateful to you. The former General of the Waffen-SS Bittrich will take only one love into his afterlife, his love for his fatherland Germany.´

So there we are, and with that the job is jobbed! And just think what might have happened if he had been on our side!