Lying about residency requirements if born and bred Brit?

PetroHead

Clanker
Born and bred Brit but lived in China for one and a half years from 2018-2020, before returning on official government advice. Unfortunately every RAF/Army role seems to require at least five years continuous residency in the U.K. immediately preceding the application. Would this requirement still apply to native Brits and do you know anyone who has managed to get around it and not been found out?

You'll need references from your previous employers - so they will tell the army you've been working in China.

I needed references from my school teachers.

You'll need references from your previous employers - so they will tell the army you've been working in China.

I needed references from my school teachers.
Yeah I have some letters and stuff for my visas in China to show what I've been doing. I'm going to go into my local recruitment centre tomorrow and see if there's any future in the armed forces for me at all.

Yeah I have some letters and stuff for my visas in China to show what I've been doing. I'm going to go into my local recruitment centre tomorrow and see if there's any future in the armed forces for me at all.

Unless you are bumping up against age limits you could simply do something else for 3 years then try again. You would need to work on your personal integrity in that time too.

The problem with residency in some countries is that they don’t exchange data, so for example, the UK probably can’t pull a Russian credit reference. Other countries do so freely for things like this. But if one’s spent a year at Moscow State University studying the history of Faberge Eggs and produced a magnum opus on the subject, that’s possibly less suspicious than the same year spent studying early Leninism.

On the subject of clearances, R SIGNALS pers in the telegraphist and technician worlds were cleared to SC level. Depending on the requirements of specific posts and courses, some/many were DVed. For example, a crypto NCO would be DVed without question. I think in the EW world, they were all DVed, though I never went to such a unit, so don’t know for sure. However, even SC allowed access to higher-marked material, but not on a routine, unsupervised basis. Drivers, electricians, radio ops, RR ops, storemen, usually not SC.
Covering equipment was because the equipment itself was protectively marked (ie you’re not allowed to know what it looks like, or even that it exists, unless suitably cleared). Same for certain bits on tanks or helicopters. I about shat my pants when I saw a BID610 in the Corps Museum :)

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment. How many more times do I have to remind people of the recruiting board rules?

Posts deleted. 2 weeks off next.

Pointless lying , you will get found out , possibly jailed then your life in the UK fcuked , imagine you did bluff your way in , the powers that be may just observe you for while to see where your true loyalties lie , then bin and jail you.

Tyk

LE
Born and bred Brit but lived in China for one and a half years from 2018-2020, before returning on official government advice. Unfortunately every RAF/Army role seems to require at least five years continuous residency in the U.K. immediately preceding the application. Would this requirement still apply to native Brits and do you know anyone who has managed to get around it and not been found out?

Fairly simple, ask the recruitment people, they're there to advise with the current rules available to them.

As to clearance, if you get that far, being honest is paramount, lie and you are a security risk.

If you're going to lie at this initial stage, how can you be trusted further on down the line. There's a little thing called "INTEGRITY" you'll find that the Army are quite robust about it.

MI5/6 and GCHQ may be an option. They recruit from all walks of life. You no longer need to be an Oxbridge member. With your China link, GCHQ might be an option.

Unless you are bumping up against age limits you could simply do something else for 3 years then try again. You would need to work on your personal integrity in that time too.
I'm not sure I'd see the point of joining when I was 28, as opposed to 24 now. I wouldn't seriously lie about where I'd been.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The fact you have considered lying about working in China suggests, to me, you are unsuitable for military service.

Probably best to ask the Army though, as my view counts for diddly.

I'm not sure I'd see the point of joining when I was 28, as opposed to 24 now. I wouldn't seriously lie about where I'd been.

That's got to be your decision, but the "what if" will gnaw at you for 60-odd years if you don't.

Bear in mind that you have a very specific and unusual profile, and these boards are read by many, many more people than actively post. It is not unlikely that someone will recognise you.

That's got to be your decision, but the "what if" will gnaw at you for 60-odd years if you don't.

Bear in mind that you have a very specific and unusual profile, and these boards are read by many, many more people than actively post. It is not unlikely that someone will recognise you.
Just talked to Capita and they said that there's no problem if you are a British citizen. Unfortunately I had a childhood nut allergy and that has automatically disqualified me. I can go for another allergy test and try and appeal it but it looks like an automatic disqualification.

Tingtang22

Clanker
Just talked to Capita and they said that there's no problem if you are a British citizen. Unfortunately I had a childhood nut allergy and that has automatically disqualified me. I can go for another allergy test and try and appeal it but it looks like an automatic disqualification.

As long as you can prove you are no longer allergic to nuts then you could win the appeal. I know someone who won an appeal for something simular

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There is a place at Colchester which 'trains' people who don't , 'do the right thing' -to use a popular expression.
And it's called Yates.

Latest Threads