Lying about residency requirements if born and bred Brit?

Born and bred Brit but lived in China for one and a half years from 2018-2020, before returning on official government advice. Unfortunately every RAF/Army role seems to require at least five years continuous residency in the U.K. immediately preceding the application. Would this requirement still apply to native Brits and do you know anyone who has managed to get around it and not been found out?

Telling lies is not well thought of.

There is a place at Colchester which 'trains' people who don't , 'do the right thing' -to use a popular expression.

Donny

ADC
Don’t even think about failing to mention it, as you will be caught out. If you’re thinking of anything to do with intelligence then doubly don’t even think about it as you’ll be rejected out of hand for lack of integrity when they start vetting you.

Born and bred Brit but lived in China for one and a half years from 2018-2020, before returning on official government advice. Unfortunately every RAF/Army role seems to require at least five years continuous residency in the U.K. immediately preceding the application. Would this requirement still apply to native Brits and do you know anyone who has managed to get around it and not been found out?
Part of vetting is to see if you are trustworthy, and willing to tell the entire truth. Think of it as a test of character.
In the police, we'd discount crimes in accordance to the HO guidance if they were declared. Exactly the same crime could get your application rejected if you attempted to cover it up. That was the number one hotspot in the pre-grant interview. When the interviewer asked the applicant to explain why they had failed to declare something.

Also, as it involves China, what do you think it will look like, and what will happen if there's even a hint of you attempting to cover it up?

I mean it's your life to **** up, but my advice, as the others say is : Do not try it.

If you are a British Citizen ask about a residency waiver. Not sure if you will get one as you lived amongst the enemy ;) but no harm asking.

If you want to lie and cheat to get your own way the British Armed Forces are not for you.

You’re better suited to a career as an MP or in the financial services industry.

Chef

LE
As has been said, tell the truth and there may be some discretion available for the recruiters to apply. Lie about it and that'll go out the window and it will eventually come and bite you.

Besides who wants to get a job through lies, knowing that at any moment of any day you could be out on your ear?

Tell 'em you speak fluent Chinese. That'd be worth some brownie points, but most of all tell 'em the whole truth. I say that as you posted here you lived in China, and I doubt there's too many potential recruits with the same "Qualification." They'll probably already know. :cool:

If your period in China involved learning a / one of the language(s), and developing a deep cultural awareness of some part of the country, then perhaps you can look elsewhere, possibly somewhere like Vauxhall Cross. Otherwise, like everyone says, don't try to fake it, seek an official exemption process of some sort.

Telling lies is not well thought of.

There is a place at Colchester which 'trains' people who don't , 'do the right thing' -to use a popular expression.
Completely understand but there seems to be no other way around this requirement- is it an automatic disqualification if you've been out of the country for more than 90 days in the last 5 years? Even if a born and bred Brit for 21 years before that time? Just out of interest, how long is this "training" in Colchester typically and what are the odds of being found out and sent there? Cheers.

If your period in China involved learning a / one of the language(s), and developing a deep cultural awareness of some part of the country, then perhaps you can look elsewhere, possibly somewhere like Vauxhall Cross. Otherwise, like everyone says, don't try to fake it, seek an official exemption process of some sort.
I have a good CV from my time there but I'm still not sure of my chances of success at MI5/6 as they're so focused on Oxbridge (only Russell Group myself). How strict is this 5 year residency requirement for born and bred Brits who've resided in the UK for the first 21 years of their life?

WightMivvi

War Hero
Mrs WM spent a number of years doing the initial checks at the old RN Vetting Unit (back in the days before the tri-service vetting units were merged at York).

Her job consisted of checking vetting forms for completeness and then arranging for various agencies to check if the applicant had been entirely truthful and comprehensive.

I also spent a few years as part of the team that provided the Defence Vetting Agency with defence network services and the various gateways to various agencies. As such, I got a good understanding of the sort of data they have access to.

Without going into detail (Official Secrets Act and all that), I’ll just say that when it comes to vetting, omission is not a good idea. If you have a skeleton in the closet, declaring it means you might pass vetting. Not declaring it means you definitely won’t pass vetting.

You might think you are paranoid. I’d say you’re not paranoid enough.

Chef

LE
Completely understand but there seems to be no other way around this requirement- is it an automatic disqualification if you've been out of the country for more than 90 days in the last 5 years? Even if a born and bred Brit for 21 years before that time? Just out of interest, how long is this "training" in Colchester typically and what are the odds of being found out and sent there? Cheers.
I doubt you'd get accepted in the first place so wouldn't be sent anywhere. You'd just fail the interview. I should also imagine they'd mark your card so any future application for government work would likely end in rejection.

Is there any reason you think lying on an application would ever be looked at favourably?

PetroHead

Clanker
I applied to join the army when I was at school.
The officer came and interviewed me in my school one day.
He thought I was too immature and advised I take some time to go traveling (a gap year).
I got a working travel visa for Australia and traveled and worked around there for a year.
I was (and am) just a regular British man, no foreign parents or anything. That year in Australia was my first time abroad.

When I got back I filled in all the forms truthfully and got top secret level security clearance.
No one ever asked me any questions about my year abroad.
I expect they didn't want to be bored with my tedious tales about tanned young women in Byron Bay. Quite depressing when you're stuck in an office in Aldershot on a drizzly afternoon.

I'd be surprised if any time abroad was an issue. When you consider how common gap years are these days, it would hit recruiting pretty bad. Especially when recruitment officers from the army actually encourage applicants to go.

PetroHead

Clanker

No it is definitely not an issue.
It wasn't for Australia anyway.
Maybe China is different.
Seeing as how we had Auz and NZ guys in our army, I'm not surprised no one cared I'd been over there for a year.

PetroHead

Clanker

He's saying you'd be sent to MCTC at Colchester if you lied to enlist.
You wouldn't - it would be classed as a 'defective enlistment' and you'd be admin discharged.

But of course, you wouldn't because your vetting would fail, because your passport number would flag up that you'd been to China.

All a bit silly really.
Best just to tell the truth and the army will either accept you or not.
Sounds like your civvy life is more interesting anyway.

The thing is, Australia is part of the five eyes intelligence network. The UK has been sharing intelligence with them since 1788. Its a bit different with the Peaples Republic of China I think.

Latest Threads