Lydd Camp Wall.

Drove by there earlier. The guy I was with asked about the large wall that is clearly visible from the road, where Tourney Road meets Galloways Road. Brick built and robust, it has four right angles and very strong looking buttresses. It also has windows in it, with painted on curtains. The windows would suggest it is not a blast wall, so perhaps a privacy wall? there is some evidence that there were once several building sited behind it.
I told him I was acquainted with some people who may know. Any thoughts?

Drove by there earlier. The guy I was with asked about the large wall that is clearly visible from the road, where Tourney Road meets Galloways Road. Brick built and robust, it has four right angles and very strong looking buttresses. It also has windows in it, with painted on curtains. The windows would suggest it is not a blast wall, so perhaps a privacy wall? there is some evidence that there were once several building sited behind it.
I told him I was acquainted with some people who may know. Any thoughts?
There is/was a training housing estate behind the wall which was formerly pads quarters (back in the day i believe).,ideal for NI/urban training. I was in and out of Lydd a lot but rarely in the 'tin city' area.
There is/was a fitness trail around the camp with various obstacles built into the run and a good chunk of it was around this wall. The wall itself is pretty solid, I was only there last week myself.
Did you notice the civvy house called Cambrai with the tinplate tank above the front door as you drove away from the camp?

Last edited:

Chancery

On ROPS
On ROPs
There is/was a training housing estate behind the wall which was formerly pads quarters (back in the day i believe).,ideal for NI/urban training. I was in and out of Lydd a lot but rarely in the 'tin city' area.
There is/was a fitness trail around the camp with various obstacles built into the run and a good chunk of it was around this wall. The wall itself is pretty solid, I was only there last week myself.
Did you notice the civvy house called Cambrai with the tinplate tank above the front door as you drove away from the camp?
What he said. It’s the exterior of, if I can remember correctly, Ripe Village which was a tin city affair for pre-NI training. Was used for normal and surveillance training. Adapted in later years, quite unrealistically, for adventures in sandy places.

What he said. It’s the exterior of, if I can remember correctly, Ripe Village which was a tin city affair for pre-NI training. Was used for normal and surveillance training. Adapted in later years, quite unrealistically, for adventures in sandy places.
It was indeed, lots of troops passed through for Iraq/Afghan training with OPTAG.

It looks like an absolute shithole. The worst posting in the Army when it was operational?
Look on the positive side, you did a year or more there, and now you don't need electricity to read a book in bed at night.
Has the power station been decommissioned?

kandak01

Old-Salt
It looks like an absolute shithole. The worst posting in the Army when it was operational?
At least you could charge up your phone just by standing outside under the power lines.

And, I liked the barrack blocks they'd built new, for that there Crimean war- so good they just used them for another 150yrs +....

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
NITAT/OPTAG staff

Chancery

On ROPS
On ROPs
Who ever got posted there apart from a small handful of SASC?
Well, I managed to body swerve a posting there to COTAT. Those that I knew that went there, both COTAT and OPTAG, found it to be an OK posting.

Who ever got posted there apart from a small handful of SASC?
ISTR the South Wales Borderers (24th Foot) were stationed at Lydd Camp back in 1966. I think they may have been the last major unit to occupy it on a regular posting.

Horrible place, simply horrible.

Did a 300/200/100yd shoot there, one year - possibly an APWT. Remember it being very wet, and windy.
A few years later, a new girlfriends parents have a Static caravan down at Lydd apparently - and we can use it.
Typical Bank Holiday, still wet and windy - but I have learned how to cook now, and brought down some nice beer and wine, and have an enthusiastic young woman with me.
A thoroughly perfect, dirty weekend.

Really handy if you‘re based out of Howe Bks.

Indeed one orrible made Wales look like Valhalla
Nothing and I mean nothing can make wales look like Valhalla, apart from Sennelager maybe:twisted:

Typical Bank Holiday, still wet and windy - but I have learned how to cook now, and brought down some nice beer and wine, and have an enthusiastic young woman with me.
A thoroughly perfect, dirty weekend.
Again, Arrse rules, pictures or it never happened.

seat_sniffer2

Old-Salt
Many years ago, mid seventies if I vaguely recall, I was down there on some pre-NI training.
Coming back to the camp from being out having a few beers. Think it might even have been a full moon?
Anyway, I decided to nip through the cemetery and jump over the wall at the other side pretending to be 'wolfman' complete with snarls etc. Didn't bother my pals at all, but I think I gave a hell of a fright to a young couple 'snogging' in a nearby shop doorway! Oops - v. sorry! Squaddie humour....

Tabbing down to the beach was interesting. The power lines above sparking and crackling in light rain. We nearly lost a bloke due to the humidity once. Top tip......fluids, fluids, fluids

Latest Threads