Lych gate closer

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I should probably post this in DIY but those people live in council houses.

Right. I have a lych gate. It is 1.2mtr wide by 1.7mtr high and made of old oak. It is heavy. I require an automatic gate closer because the people who use it are too ******* stupid to close a gate. If I cannot find a solution I shall string a brick to a pulley and nail the other end to the outside of the gate. But the Bird says I am not allowed to do that because of H&S.

Anybody tried this lot? GC-22-500N Gate Closer - Slam Proof Ltd

Brick and pulley, how is that contrary to Health and Safety? Unless the brick descends upon the head of the gate-user as it closes, which would be most amusing but probably legally a bit dodgy.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Expanding on the brick and line thread use an old weight from a sash window, sliding up and down inside a length of drainpipe

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
land rover leaf spring would do it or pack out the hinges to it becomes self closing.

If it's used by the public, whatever successful mechanism you put on will get nicked. Seen gate furniture stolen a few times.

Just shoot some of the peasants, the rest will learn soon enough.

If it's used by the public, whatever successful mechanism you put on will get nicked. Seen gate furniture stolen a few times.
A six quid spring? You must live in a right dodgy area.

A six quid spring? You must live in a right dodgy area.
Public access gates and cattle grids installed on part of where I walk the dogs. All the closers etc were knicked in no time. Cost more than six quid though.

You need to get it sorted pronto TiD, as if it bangs some WPC on the arse on her way out you may be looking at a 50K surcharge!

You need to get it sorted pronto TiD, as if it bangs some WPC on the arse on her way out you may be looking at a 50K surcharge!
1.2 mtrs wide? She wouldn't get that fat arse through it in the first place.

Some **** walked two miles too delibratly break a gate so anything is possible :(
Not even sure how you break a steel gate

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
treat it like the adventure game or crystal maze dig a pit with big spikes in it and hook a trapdoor to the gate, it the gate isn't closed they cant get past the pit.

Public access gates and cattle grids installed on part of where I walk the dogs. All the closers etc were knicked in no time. Cost more than six quid though.
'cos they were pants, perhaps?

that my taxi?

treat it like the adventure game or crystal maze dig a pit with big spikes in it and hook a trapdoor to the gate, it the gate isn't closed they cant get past the pit.
Indeed - that is up to the standard required of a Viz top tip. Top effort.

And have a fat, myopic, unable-to-use-a-torch WPC fall into your death dealing bear trap. I can see the headlines now.....

And have a fat, myopic, unable-to-use-a-torch WPC fall into your death dealing bear trap. I can see the headlines now.....
Yup - Darwin proved correct