Lych gate closer

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by TheIronDuke, Apr 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I should probably post this in DIY but those people live in council houses.

Right. I have a lych gate. It is 1.2mtr wide by 1.7mtr high and made of old oak. It is heavy. I require an automatic gate closer because the people who use it are too ******* stupid to close a gate. If I cannot find a solution I shall string a brick to a pulley and nail the other end to the outside of the gate. But the Bird says I am not allowed to do that because of H&S.

Anybody tried this lot? GC-22-500N Gate Closer - Slam Proof Ltd

2. Brick and pulley, how is that contrary to Health and Safety? Unless the brick descends upon the head of the gate-user as it closes, which would be most amusing but probably legally a bit dodgy.

3. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

4. Expanding on the brick and line thread use an old weight from a sash window, sliding up and down inside a length of drainpipe

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

land rover leaf spring would do it or pack out the hinges to it becomes self closing.

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Tsk Man can you not employ a poor person to close the gate?

• Like Like x 2
  7. As EX_STAB said, too expensive. Visit local scrappy and remove a couple of gas-strut lifters from a large hatchback's rear door.

Alternatively, chain your mate skippy close to the gate and he recives some food each time he shuts the gate.

8. If it's used by the public, whatever successful mechanism you put on will get nicked. Seen gate furniture stolen a few times.

9. msr

msr LE

Just shoot some of the peasants, the rest will learn soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. msr

msr LE

A six quid spring? You must live in a right dodgy area.

11. Public access gates and cattle grids installed on part of where I walk the dogs. All the closers etc were knicked in no time. Cost more than six quid though.

12. You need to get it sorted pronto TiD, as if it bangs some WPC on the arse on her way out you may be looking at a 50K surcharge!

13. 1.2 mtrs wide? She wouldn't get that fat arse through it in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Some **** walked two miles too delibratly break a gate so anything is possible :(
    Not even sure how you break a steel gate