Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

LWC Launch of the Army Knowledge Exchange (AKX)

DPM said:
AKX_Evangelist: Comment please. Is the AKX a useful 'one-stop shop', or just another suppository for incredible amounts of information that no one man could ever hope to trawl through let alone usefully access.

I use one of these electronic repositories quite often, but find that some of the information is not current, despite being live - probably due to a lack of funding; and I tend to get slagged for having outdated information rather than praised for having some in the first place.

DPM, I think you have made a typo, a suppository is something you can stick.... Oh, hang on, you could be right.

Joe_Private said:
DPM said:
AKX_Evangelist: Comment please. Is the AKX a useful 'one-stop shop', or just another suppository for incredible amounts of information that no one man could ever hope to trawl through let alone usefully access.

I use one of these electronic repositories quite often, but find that some of the information is not current, despite being live - probably due to a lack of funding; and I tend to get slagged for having outdated information rather than praised for having some in the first place.

DPM, I think you have made a typo, a suppository is something you can stick.... Oh, hang on, you could be right.

:twisted:

Finally had a chance to log on last night and..... er, well, how do I put this diplomatically, er, nah, sod it: the only thing there is digital tumbleweed.

At least they have a TA forum :)

msr

msr said:
Finally had a chance to log on last night and..... er, well, how do I put this diplomatically, er, nah, sod it: the only thing there is digital tumbleweed.

msr

Ah, but msr you are missing the point. Diligent staff officers and sub-unit commanders should be populating this with worthy and useful opinion pieces, rather than any real effort be put into it.

barbs said:
msr said:

msr

Ah, but msr you are missing the point. Diligent staff officers and sub-unit commanders should be populating this with worthy and useful opinion pieces, rather than any real effort be put into it.

As opposed to wasting their time on arrse ;) ?

msr said:
barbs said:
msr said:

msr

As opposed to wasting their time on arrse ;) ?

The word I used was "diligent"...

Judging by the contributions so far (including the prize for best contributor) there would seem to be a severe shortage of 'diligence' :)

Thanks for your comment. However, you might like to know that AKX (R) is now getting close to 800 hits per day.
Can I suggest that you all take a look by accessing it from the hyperlink on the Defence Internet Military Landing Page or from the Army, LWC or LWDG intranet pages. The Afghan Hub area now incorporates excellent Lessons Exploitation Centre (LXC) and Afghan Coin Centre (ACC) content aswell as Equipment Capability, G2 and soon LIFC(A) and Inter-Op. Once you've had a look let me know what you think of it.
It will soon be up and running on SECRET too.
Thanks

This is because we are a small team and we are loading documents with meta data and properly named so that they can be intellignetly searched. This takes time. Have a another look now.

AKX is intended to be a "one-stop shop" for Land environment operational KNOWLEDGE not INFORMATION. We are aiming to ensure that AKX contains essential knowedge in support of current operations rather than niff naff and trivia which can be obtained from other sources. If we do not keep a tight rein on this our customers (LF and wider defence) will be overwelmed.

Have a look at AKX (R) accessible directly from the Defence Intranet and you'll find all the vital knowldge you need to prepare you for your next deployment.

AKX_Evangelist said:
This is because we are a small team and we are loading documents with meta data and properly named so that they can be intellignetly searched. This takes time. Have a another look now.

The rest of the world gave up on Dublin Core stylee meta data in about 1999.

msr

AKX_Evangelist said:
Have a look at AKX (R) accessible directly from the Defence Intranet and you'll find all the vital knowldge you need to prepare you for your next deployment.

OK, I am man enough to apologise for making a leap that the (U) version would reflect the (R) version. When will the (R) version be available on ArmyNet.

Anyway, I've looked at AKX on DII. Some useful stuff, but also some stuff out of conext. example COMISAF's COIN guidance needs to be read with the covering letter, IMO. You have both versions up and you may wish to take one down.

AKX_Evangelist said:
AKX is intended to be a "one-stop shop" for Land environment operational KNOWLEDGE not INFORMATION. We are aiming to ensure that AKX contains essential knowedge in support of current operations rather than niff naff and trivia which can be obtained from other sources. If we do not keep a tight rein on this our customers (LF and wider defence) will be overwelmed.

What's the difference between knowledge and information?