Luvvies who are supporters of the Military and Military Charities

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
This sort of ties in to Actors who served - or more the lack of them since World War II. I see Silvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren were guests of PWRR as their premiere was raising money for forces charities. Are there any more obvious actors who are currently in the movies who are big supporters of the Military. Bruce Willis springs to mind as well. And on the other side those peacenik luvvies that think that the military are stealing money from homeless dolphins and anybody who joins the Army is an idiot. George Clooney seems to tick this box.

The Expendables UK premiere: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren in London - Telegraph

I believe Denzel Washington is; heard a story he was being shown round some sort of veterans housing in the US for disabled soldiers or somesuch, and asked how much it would cost to build one. When told the cost, he promptly wrote a cheque for that amount.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Mel Gibson loves all things British

No he doesn't. He isn't fond of Jews much either!

............or wimmin. Allegedly.

Robin Williams is a big fan and is a regular visitor to American war-efforts. Nice chap

was the patriot not a recruitment ad for the british army then??

As was "Braveheart" Oh wait a mo..... perhaps it was the Scottish Army?
bravely fighting those pesky english devils with the help of some random irish person. A fine docu-drama in my opinion

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Gary Sinise (Lt Dan from Forrest Gump) is a very active supporter of the US Armed Forces. From Wiki:

He also co-founded Operation Iraqi Children. Of the effort Gary has said, “Iraq is in the news every day, and most of it is bad. But there are some positive stories. And how our soldiers are rebuilding schools and helping kids is one of them.”

Sinise was awarded the Presidential Citizen Medal by George W. Bush for work he did supporting the U.S Military and humanitarian work supporting Iraqi children.
Sinise narrated Army and Army Reserve Army Strong recruitment ads in late 2008.
Sinise is the Executive Producer—along with David Scantling—of the Iraq War documentary Brothers at War. The film features an American military family and the experiences of three brothers: Jake Rademacher, Isaac Rademacher and Joseph Rademacher.
Since 2006, Sinise has co-narrated the National Memorial Day Concert on the Mall in Washington, D.C. with Joe Mantegna.
Sinise currently serves as the National Spokesperson for the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial. He spends much of his time raising awareness for the Memorial and other veterans' service organizations.

the pub landlord always gives serving blokes a big hullo on his stage show, and he drove all the way to berlin in a jeep. (not a great British jeep though) Think his dad was an army officer so would be on side i suppose.

On the subject of luvvie NOT supporting the military , he hasn't come out and said so per se but I do remember Bill Oddie being on Swap Shop and being asked what sort of films we liked and he said something along the lines of " I can't think of any but I'll tell yo what I don't like - I don't like war films . I hate war films " A few years later I remember reading an interview where once again he states his hatred of war films " because they're all about stupid soldiers running around killing one another " If he said he didn't like war films because they're about a bunch of mincing thespians running around pretending to be real men then I might have agreed so I 'm guessing he doesn't like squaddies in real life

Likewise Tony Robinson who famously got on the outrage bus on the BBC 2 show Did You See ... ? Where he launched a tirade against Allo Allo because it made fun of the holocaust and " How would you like it if people started making fun of the Enniskillen bombing etc " . I doubt if he'll having a fundraising event for wounded servicemen . Of course I'm only speculating and might be proved wrong

Paul Greengrass director of the Bourne sequels and Green Zone . Not someone who comes to mind but he directed Chris Ryan's TV version of The One That Got Away . He gave an interview on Channel 4's saying Ryan's book was much better than McNab's because " It wasn't just about slotting ragheads " His feature film debut was this one

Resurrected (1989)

which depicts the average squaddie in the British Army was a violent bully

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
On the subject of luvvie NOT supporting the military , he hasn't come out and said so per se but I do remember Bill Oddie being on Swap Shop and being asked what sort of films we liked and he said something along the lines of " I can't think of any but I'll tell yo what I don't like - I don't like war films . I hate war films " A few years later I remember reading an interview where once again he states his hatred of war films " because they're all about stupid soldiers running around killing one another " If he said he didn't like war films because they're about a bunch of mincing thespians running around pretending to be real men then I might have agreed so I 'm guessing he doesn't like squaddies in real life

Likewise Tony Robinson who famously got on the outrage bus on the BBC 2 show Did You See ... ? Where he launched a tirade against Allo Allo because it made fun of the holocaust and " How would you like it if people started making fun of the Enniskillen bombing etc " . I doubt if he'll having a fundraising event for wounded servicemen . Of course I'm only speculating and might be proved wrong

Paul Greengrass director of the Bourne sequels and Green Zone . Not someone who comes to mind but he directed Chris Ryan's TV version of The One That Got Away . He gave an interview on Channel 4's saying Ryan's book was much better than McNab's because " It wasn't just about slotting ragheads " His feature film debut was this one

Resurrected (1989)

which depicts the average squaddie in the British Army was a violent bully
Probably yes to all of them. Anybody know Bill Oddie's problem with the military? Presumably he gets annoyed that the areas that birds live because they are a bombing range and free of Barratt estates are occasionally used for something other than watching Pidgeons shagging. "But the nasty army scare away the Robin Redbreasts with their loud bangs".

Tony Robinson is hardcore ZanuLabour and thinks the army are all either toffs or the underclass that should be sat at home being given welfare checks by the munificent omnipotent Labour Party rather than doing something with their lives. No suprises there.

I knew about Greengrass. Although I secretly enjoy the fact that he has to potray soldiers as heroes to put bums on seats whilst loathing us. I also enjoyed Sean Penn squirming like buggery when he had to say nice things about the US Army when they organised the rescue effort in Haiti. Gleaming.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
the pub landlord always gives serving blokes a big hullo on his stage show, and he drove all the way to berlin in a jeep. (not a great British jeep though) Think his dad was an army officer so would be on side i suppose.
Murray was born in Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, the son of Lieutenant Colonel Ingram Bernard Hay Murray and his wife Juliet Anne Thackeray Ritchie, through whom he is a great-great-great-grandson of William Makepeace Thackeray . His grandfather was diplomat Sir Ralph Murray.
He also parachuted into Arnhem for his T.V. Road to Berlin programme

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen Tony Robinson appear in Soldier magazine a couple of times posing with squaddies for some fundraiser/photo-op or other, so I don't think he's anti-soldier. As for Allo Allo, I remember during the 1980's there would be a letter of complaint on the BBC's 'Points of View', usually from a WWII veteran, saying that the comedy show trivialised and disrespected the deeds and suffering of the French Resistance. I guess Robinson was saying the same thing, that it is no different from make a comedy about an IRA bombing. A bit odd that he'd say that since he was in a comedy set in a war also (Blackadder Goes Forth), still I'm a bit bewildered as to how you translated that into an anti-military stance.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
A friend of a friend who once danced with the Prince of Wales tells me that Tommy Lee Jones ( US Marshals, Men In Black, Scent of Green Papaya, Oliver Stone's 'Heaven & Earth (Vietnam war epic) , No Country for Old Men etc etc ) was recently at a UK rehab facility visiting the guys . Private visit, no media.

When asked by one lad - obviously not a movie buff - what he did he allegedly replied
' Aw, y'know...these days I'm in the cattle and horses bidness...'

Tom Hanks big supporter aside from BoB also one of the main forces behind the WW2 museum in New Orleans IIRC.

I've seen Tony Robinson appear in Soldier magazine a couple of times posing with squaddies for some fundraiser/photo-op or other, so I don't think he's anti-soldier. As for Allo Allo, I remember during the 1980's there would be a letter of complaint on the BBC's 'Points of View', usually from a WWII veteran, saying that the comedy show trivialised and disrespected the deeds and suffering of the French Resistance. I guess Robinson was saying the same thing, that it is no different from make a comedy about an IRA bombing. A bit odd that he'd say that since he was in a comedy set in a war also (Blackadder Goes Forth), still I'm a bit bewildered as to how you translated that into an anti-military stance.
Yeah that's nice to know he's done some fundraising fo the boys and why I wrote I'm willing to be proved wrong . I was specualting because he did seem involved with the likes of Ben Elton and the other " lefty comedians " from the 1980s

And yes I do remember Black Adder Goes Forth , someone mentioned this in the letter pages of the Radio Times in his Did You See appearance along the lines of " If Mr Robinson thinks it's poor taste making jokes about the war then why did he appear in a comedy show about the first world war ? etc "

I do feel however that some people confuse anti war with being anti military especially where the first world war is concerned . I won't name it but some people may have visted a forum dedicated to the first world war whose T&C included no discussion on religion or modern politics only to have site sponsers get away with murder like one muppet starting a thread saying all remembrance parades be secular . No complaints from me on that account , only for him to spoil it by saying " the military shouldn't be invited either because it glorifies war especially with their illegal presence in Iraq " Anyone disagreeing with this view had their posts edited/moderated and because I was getting fed up with one rule for members who contributed money to the site and another for the ones who didn't I wrote a bloody angry post saying to the admin and ownersI was leaving and they could stick their forum up their arrse because they couldn't give a fcuk about soldiers and if it wasn't for soldiers pacifist idiots couldn't run around with their placards sticking up for jihadists etc

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
And yes I do remember Black Adder Goes Forth , someone mentioned this in the letter pages of the Radio Times in his Did You See appearance along the lines of " If Mr Robinson thinks it's poor taste making jokes about the war then why did he appear in a comedy show about the first world war ? etc "
always thought Black adder was anti war
Ben Elton and the luvvies played the role as lions led by donkeys - the poor man geting slaughtered to get the rich mans derink cabinet nearer Berlin - The toffs are idiots etc etc

Still a good show though