Luvvies who are supporters of the Military and Military Charities

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Travelgall, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This sort of ties in to Actors who served - or more the lack of them since World War II. I see Silvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren were guests of PWRR as their premiere was raising money for forces charities. Are there any more obvious actors who are currently in the movies who are big supporters of the Military. Bruce Willis springs to mind as well. And on the other side those peacenik luvvies that think that the military are stealing money from homeless dolphins and anybody who joins the Army is an idiot. George Clooney seems to tick this box.

The Expendables UK premiere: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren in London - Telegraph

2. I believe Denzel Washington is; heard a story he was being shown round some sort of veterans housing in the US for disabled soldiers or somesuch, and asked how much it would cost to build one. When told the cost, he promptly wrote a cheque for that amount.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Mel Gibson loves all things British

4. No he doesn't. He isn't fond of Jews much either!

5. ............or wimmin. Allegedly.

6. Robin Williams is a big fan and is a regular visitor to American war-efforts. Nice chap

7. was the patriot not a recruitment ad for the british army then??

8. As was "Braveheart" Oh wait a mo..... perhaps it was the Scottish Army?

9. bravely fighting those pesky english devils with the help of some random irish person. A fine docu-drama in my opinion

10. Obviously one of the forerunners for the IRA! :)

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Gary Sinise (Lt Dan from Forrest Gump) is a very active supporter of the US Armed Forces. From Wiki:

12. the pub landlord always gives serving blokes a big hullo on his stage show, and he drove all the way to berlin in a jeep. (not a great British jeep though) Think his dad was an army officer so would be on side i suppose.

13. On the subject of luvvie NOT supporting the military , he hasn't come out and said so per se but I do remember Bill Oddie being on Swap Shop and being asked what sort of films we liked and he said something along the lines of " I can't think of any but I'll tell yo what I don't like - I don't like war films . I hate war films " A few years later I remember reading an interview where once again he states his hatred of war films " because they're all about stupid soldiers running around killing one another " If he said he didn't like war films because they're about a bunch of mincing thespians running around pretending to be real men then I might have agreed so I 'm guessing he doesn't like squaddies in real life

Likewise Tony Robinson who famously got on the outrage bus on the BBC 2 show Did You See ... ? Where he launched a tirade against Allo Allo because it made fun of the holocaust and " How would you like it if people started making fun of the Enniskillen bombing etc " . I doubt if he'll having a fundraising event for wounded servicemen . Of course I'm only speculating and might be proved wrong

Paul Greengrass director of the Bourne sequels and Green Zone . Not someone who comes to mind but he directed Chris Ryan's TV version of The One That Got Away . He gave an interview on Channel 4's saying Ryan's book was much better than McNab's because " It wasn't just about slotting ragheads " His feature film debut was this one

Resurrected (1989)

which depicts the average squaddie in the British Army was a violent bully

14. Probably yes to all of them. Anybody know Bill Oddie's problem with the military? Presumably he gets annoyed that the areas that birds live because they are a bombing range and free of Barratt estates are occasionally used for something other than watching Pidgeons shagging. "But the nasty army scare away the Robin Redbreasts with their loud bangs".

Tony Robinson is hardcore ZanuLabour and thinks the army are all either toffs or the underclass that should be sat at home being given welfare checks by the munificent omnipotent Labour Party rather than doing something with their lives. No suprises there.

I knew about Greengrass. Although I secretly enjoy the fact that he has to potray soldiers as heroes to put bums on seats whilst loathing us. I also enjoyed Sean Penn squirming like buggery when he had to say nice things about the US Army when they organised the rescue effort in Haiti. Gleaming.

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

He also parachuted into Arnhem for his T.V. Road to Berlin programme