Luvvei slates Bush and Blair

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Dec 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Harold Pinter BBC on line

"George W Bush and Tony Blair must be held to account for feeding the public "a vast tapestry of lies" about the Iraq war, writer Harold Pinter said.
    The playwright launched a scathing attack on US and UK politicians in his lecture as winner of this year's Nobel Prize for Literature.

Most politicians "are interested not in truth but in power and the maintenance of that power", the 75-year-old said.

His speech was pre-recorded as Pinter was admitted to hospital this week.

'Live in ignorance'

Pinter, 75, whose plays include The Birthday Party and Betrayal, was announced the winner of the $1.3m (£740,000) cash prize in October.

On Wednesday his lecture, entitled Art, Truth and Politics, studied the importance of truth in art before decrying its perceived absence in politics.

He said politicians feel it is "essential that people remain in ignorance, that they live in ignorance of the truth, even the truth of their own lives".

Pinter said the US justification for invading Iraq - that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction - "was not true".

(America) has exercised a quite clinical manipulation of power worldwide while masquerading as a force for universal good
    Harold Pinter

"The truth is something entirely different," Pinter added. "The truth is to do with how the United States understands its role in the world and how it chooses to embody it."

Pinter said that since World War II the US government "supported and in many cases engendered every right-wing military dictatorship in the world".

"I refer to Indonesia, Greece, Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Haiti, Turkey, the Philippines, Guatemala, El Salvador and, of course, Chile."

'Bleating lamb'

He added: "You have to hand it to America. It has exercised a quite clinical manipulation of power worldwide while masquerading as a force for universal good."

Referring to Blair's support for the US-led war on Iraq, Pinter described the "pathetic and supine" Great Britain as "a bleating little lamb tagging behind (the US) on a lead"."

I have always maintained that until the Luvvies turn on Blair he will get awy with whitewashing the Great British Unwashed.
    Spitting Image would have had him out of office years ago.
    Now the first worm turns.
  2. Harold Pinter is a tosser who not only writes bollox, he admits what he writes is bollox. He is notable for the pauses in his plays, pauses that twenty years ago, when I had the misfortune to study the pretentious prat, he admitted were thrown in at random to give his plays 'substance'.

He epitomises the intellectual emptiness that celebrates a decaying shed as art, a play that portrays two old men doing bugger all in a room as literature and then feels qualified (because a couple of dozen people in Islington say he is an arrrrrrrtist my dear) to accuse a nation that has saved the world at least three times in seventy years as a dictatorship.

The old fool was senile thirty years before his time.Then again, maybe two old men doing bugger all in a room is literature. What do I know?
  3. Ah AWOL so we understand you don't like Pinter. fair enough/ Must be honest I have no luv for the entire Luvvei syndrom.
    But they do have a big following, many folk listen to their views and I will stick with my statement words to the effect that the sooner the 'Entertainment' industry start showing' TCB and Co' for the CNUTS they are then the sooner we will be rid of them.
  4. Pinter called for TB to be brought in front of the International Criminal Court for Justice. Is this possible?
  5. Please let it be so.
    Blur the lawyer up for War Crimes.
  6. This is opportunist and no better than George Michael's inane sad, bleating before the invasion. So what if they write a tune/play that the chattering class describe as being the mutt's, they are still only blinkered with a narrow view of the world (usually centered around themselves).

Ignore them, Corrie, East..., I'm a celery..., Big Bother etc. They're not worth listening to. CGS on the other hand ... Well!
  7. AWOL,
    Saved the world 3 times in last 70 yrs-who? when? The americans? Not quite an objective view of history methinks. As for Pinter he may well be rubbish, but people listen to him, and in this scenario he seems to be right.
  8. And you say I'm not being objective? :)
  9. Via Reuters newsfeed..

10. Poor Pinter - he backed the wrong horse during the Cold War (in which he refused to do his National Service) and he's married to an adulteress, on top of which it would appear that many people are becoming wise to the fact that his work is rubbish. The only reason he is free to spout his guff is because of the freedom and protection afforded him by the armed forces of Britian and the United States. Another self-regarding, egomaniacal 'artist'.