Luton will now be a quieter and safer place

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. They could do with being culled not locked up....

3. After their appearance on Jeremy Kyle of course....
    The mother and family of the victim made me laugh with all their concern, where have they been all these years?
    Poor bugger.

4. "When the 26-year-old escaped, James Watt traced him through his benefit payments and National Insurance number and he would be forced back in to captivity."

How were they even able to do this?

5. Had me wondering as well.

6. He told the family: "In all my years, both on the bench and at the bar, I have only ever dealt with a handful of cases where the behaviour can properly be described as depraved and you can be rightly added to this list.

I take it he attends 3 PARAs Sgt Mess functions? 8O

7. Mr_Fingerz

Depraved is not the same as "debauched".....

8. Through a criminally gross breach of professional standards by the HMRC by the sound of it.

Not wishing to get old and bold about it, but when I was doing my time in the DSS (10 years+ ago) it was made very clear that personal data was NOT to be divulged.
    It appears in this case that Watts, having got hold of the victims' NI number, has phoned up a benefits office, and basically said.
    "Hello. I'm Mr Gilbert. Please can you tell me where I'm signing on at the moment."
    And whoever answered the call went "Yes. You are at....", without asking any questions.

Now, it SHOULD have alerted your average Civil Servant that most 'clients' can generally remember this. Many long term dole dependants might have difficulty remembering their own names, but they can always remember where they go for their benefits.

Lots of not-very-nice-at-all people would dearly love access to the benefits database, as it would allow them to find old 'friends', and kill/maim them. For that reason, there used to be very strict data protection safeguards. For some reason, these appear to have been abandoned, or the staff just don't appear to have followed basic security procedures.

Someone in the modern HMRC needs to be crucified for this. They are accomplices to abduction and murder. Personally and professionally, this case makes my blood boil.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Can I suggest that you edit your post to remove HMRC, and insert "Benefits Agency"? As to whether that's where the blame lies, let's leave that to the case review shall we?

10. But of course all information on Government databases is secure. That's why ID cards, the NHS records thing, the list of children etc should go ahead.

If there was any risk of leaks then celbrities & people like members of parliament would be able to opt out of inclusion. Oh, they can? Why?

11. DWP do the front line stuff, as the old Benefits Agency got merged with the Employment Service in about 2002. The National Insurance computers are all run out of the HMRC site at Longbenton.

I'm happy to let the case review do it's thing. But blame there is, and that's not going to go away in a hurry.

12. Who knows what lies the DSS were told by these dreadful people, I dont think you can blame the DSS for his murder or the years of abuse.... or the neglect of his own family...

13. A database is only as secure as the bloke operating it, whether it is electronic, paper, or baked clay tablet.

The celebrity is more at risk than the average member of the public. They can have additional levels of security added, to stop nosy intruders (or fans.) looking into their lives. They can sometimes go on subsets of the main system for additional security, in much the same way that say, people in witness protection can.

None of this will protect you if someone phones up the organisation, and some ignorant or negligent muppet decides to open the file and just tells the caller what's on record. That's the real failure in this case. Not hardware or software. Humanware.

14. I understand that, Hector, but I found it most amusing when that Childcare database was launched. We proles were told that the security was quite good enough for us but that the Blairs (for example) would be exempt from registering their offspring. Not on some subset, not there with extra security, EXEMPT!

Time was when our "leaders" would do so by example. It now seems that "good enough for Government work" applies to what we, the people, are granted while the apparat gets the Rolls Royce solution.

15. In any civilised society, these people would have been locked up or dealt with long ago. The fact is, stories like this are hardly surprising when you read stories of burlgars with 400 convictions being handed 'community sentences' and the like.

Watch 'road wars'. For the most part, the coppers seem quite professional and manage to identify and apprehend the people who are committing crime. However, at the end of each 'story', they tell you what sentence was handed down and it almost always defies common sense.