Lurkers, please read...

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a message to all you lurkers out there... yes, YOU. The one who comes on here, anonymously surfs around, reading the posts, trying to ping who is who... perhaps chuckling at the odd incident which rings a bell. Enjoying the site, but not contributing anything. Too afraid to dip a toe into the water.

Why don't you just sign up and join in? Let's dispel a few myths and explain a couple of things about anonymity:

1. Arrse is not a subversive organisation. Although we could obviously do a far better job of running the country, it's not on our list of objectives (for 2006 at least :))

2. You can be as anonymous as you want. When you sign up, you can use any email address you have created; the email "" is hardly likely to be immediately linked to anybody in the Corps. Besides, it's already taken ;)

3. Whether you use a made up email address or one of your real ones, you can then choose a different "display email", which can be anything you want. This is all that most users will ever see.

4. The only people who can see your real email address are the Moderators. Oh, and those clever IT geeks at.....

5. The only people who can see your IP address are the Moderators. Oh, and those clever IT geeks at...

6. I have been on here two years. I know the real identities of about thirty of the regular contributors to the Int Corps forum, and several of us exchange private messages. But those who choose not to divulge their real names in Private Messages remain anonymous. Those who value their anonymity have been able to maintain it without a problem - just don't type anything which instantly identifies you to your mates!

7. You can be as open or as anonymous as you choose. Personally, i am open about my real identity, and have told umpteen people in real life who asked for my arrse ID. I take the view that if everybody knows who you are, you won't be daft enough to say something you wouldn't be prepared to back up in real life.

8. As long as you don't hide behind your anonymity and spout inflammatory / insulting / insubordinate drivel, do you really think anybody cares enough to track you down in real life? Besides, if you have not done anything criminal, people will have trouble getting beyond the moderators.

9. You might be surprised at how easy it is to mislead people, and the lengths to which some people will go to conceal any clues to their real identity. For instance, most assume from the online banter that AF1771 is a burly, strapping 6 footer, fighting off the women at every turn. In reality, AF1771 likes to be called Loretta, and is heading up the struggle for men to have the right to have babies. even if they can't actually have babies, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans...

10. arrse is actually fun to contribute to - more so when you know the other people on here! Juniors, you might be surprised how many of your mates are on here. Seniors, don't you want someone to reminisce about Ashford with? Officers, you can ask the men for honest answers and be sure to get them. Retired members of the Corps - HELLO?! ARE YOU OKAY?! DO YOU NEED SOMEONE TO CHANGE YOUR COLOSTOMY BAG? :)

so regardless of your real rank and status... RSM, or recruit... Commanding Officer, or Corporal... Director, or denied entry on the basis of that little incident with the sheep... why not sign up and have a go? if you don't like it, you can cancel your account and go back to lurking. and it doesn't even cost anything.

go on, you know you want to :)
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh no I don't :wink: :lol:
  3. Fed up insulting the same people day in day out?

Looking for fresh meat?

and I have already told you...its only at weekends!!
  4. Come now you know the hardest bit about joining is crossing the threashold!

5. The RSM said he would love to join, but "Howay the lads" is already taken :)
  6. I think I might frame that speech from the heart and put it on my wall!
  7. how about a shorter speech for your wall scorptin, to save you on framing costs? here you go:

"Scorptin performs oral sex on diseased warthogs" :)
  8. But only the really good looking ones!
  9. Thought you had to ask permission before you used pictures of somebody else scorptin!!! G2_Loony_Bin will be pished off he isnt going to get royalty money for that shot.
  10. I know, filming you performing that disgusting act was as gut wrenching as anyone could imagine... :puker:

11. Sorry couldn't resist... :roll:
  12. You cut me deep loony, that was moving cinema...

Bowel moving.
  13. WHAT?!?!?!
  14. G2... Money Shot???

FFS! I can never 'unthink' that thought. Cheers AF1771. :crazy:
  15. :hump: g2lb and cynic (in that order) :pc: 1771... watching...