Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ironeye, Feb 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, i just went out for my first 1.5mile run and it was a disaster i nearly passed out after only 200metres this little episode soon passed then i had to keep walking because my lungs were in such pain, Is there anything to take that pain away?

Many thanks

2. An overdose!!! (JOKE) on a serious note, you may need to build up on your running gradually
  3. like your man said, take it easy you should try and run a little faster than you walk for now, get used to the distance bit before you give it the beans.

however if it hurts that much go and seek advice (medical) as the bronchials might be hurt from a cold or something else
  4. Ok thanks guys, I think I will start with smaller distances first and work my way up. I guess my lungs are not used to working that hard. I have never enjoyed a shower so much in my life lol

Thanks again

5. You dirty little cnut :lol:
  6. mate i was the same, try walking two minutes running 3 minutes for an half hour, do this for a couple of weeks then you should be able to go the whole distance.
  7. this is some sort of joke thread, right?

a) Nobody over 6 and under 50 can't run 1.5 miles unless there is a medical reason such as you have no legs

b) nobody with access to a computer is going to be running 'their first 1.5 miles'. You probably run this in one quarter of a football/rugby match.
  8. minimise your movement, dont swing your arms and legs like a madman, breathe slowly and deeply, dont go fast
  9. Breathe from the pit of your stomach,reducing energy loss.
    Aswell as this,Try and keep your head still...I find it helps to focus on an object/landmark in the distance such as a lamp post.Apart from this it's just overall fitness mate!
    Good lucky!
  10. I couldn't believe it when i turned up for TAFS1 (Mod 1 as it is now), we did our RRR on the sunday morning and out of 40 of us there were four who were walking within the first one hundred yards.
  11. Just wanted to advise you not to let the onslaught of "anyone with two legs can run 1.5 miles nonstop" bollocks get to you. When I started running I was in the same position as you, I think I managed something like 40 seconds on my first attempt, I thought, "right lets go! I should be able to get 12 mins no prob!" turns out I was wrong and stumbled accross the ending point of my route some 18 minutes later feeling like I had just been run over by a truck.. it took me about 3 months before I could run a mile non-stop but from there it gets alot easier, so dont be discouraged.

I reccomend this training plan very strongly:

I started off using it and it was really good, helped me transform from the most unfit, 15 stone couch potato you have ever seen to a reasonably fit, 13 stone couch potato in about a year.

Trust me it DOES get easier so stick with it.

12. You said you nearly passed out after the first 200 metres.

Get a medical checkup. The body has different energy systems and your crisis may have occurred as the body made a transition to fully aerobic ?

Also perhaps you could ask your doctor to check for Verigo Bohr effect (you might be overbreathing) by doing a simple exhaled breath time ?

I have a war pension for lung damage. I am nearly 60 with lungs at 42 % now. Never neglect strength training. I am 18 stones. A stick insect with 42% lungs would be on long term incapacity. I hit trouble on my treadmill after about one and a half minutes. Then I ease back to a bent legged walk really because the lungs have to fuel my jog and my oxygen debt. Then I might speed up to my unimpressive jog. Go by how you feel. Don';t be reckless but don't be a couch potato is the name of the game with lung damage.

I imagine you will get a good bill of health and the best advice is above ... ease into it make your training progressive. But get a checkup first ?

Because I cannot now be exposed to isocyanates and solvent fumes I have been disabled out of engineering.

But I do the charity parcels. Delivering out the empty bags and calling back to collect the donated bags.

At the shop I carry them up 18 stairs. One week I had over 150 bags. Carrying them four a time. That is a lot of weighted step ups.

An oddity with the lung condition is that I can move faster with a weighted back pack than without. All biochemistry and wiring.

Best of luck.
  13. Training on the wii does not count
  14. If it hurts its probably supposed to. Practice will eventually make the pain go away.

I started back in the begining of January and had to stop after 0.5 mile, just had my 1st assesment and got 14mins17secs (crap i know, but its better than it was).

I found the treadmill really helped because of pacing. Start off at 8kmh, its a slow pace but if you maintain that steady for 20mins or so you'll start to get a bit of a base fitness level.

I now walk for 2mins, do the 8kmh for half a mile (800m), stop, stretch. Then i alternate 8kmh for 2mins then 11kmh for as long as poss (11kmh being the speed i need to be going at to get my target of 12mins). I keep this up for about 20mins. Also ive started going out cycling on days im not running as it keeps the cardio up but doesnt leave my legs fooked.

Its disheartening at first but just stick with it, it will get easier.
  15. When i started running i was pretty bad aswell...first few times i couldn't finish but thats the important part, even if you have to walk some get a finishing time and just build on that, you'll make a lot of progress at first and less as you get better but don't be discouraged by having a poor time now, it will get better with practice, and so will your might sound stupid but i also found that increasing the strength in my legs helped with my breathing, i thing it might be because it takes less effort to push if your legs are stronger. Anyway keep at it mate :)