Lung Function Test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Proper_job, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. Just wondering for example how bad you'd have to be to fail the lung functioning test thing that is done at selection for the british army, just to get meself an understanding like. Tah.

Proper_job

2. It's hard to describe how badly you have to do and I think it's altered depending on the person too. For example when I went on selection they entered all sorts of details like my age, whether I smoked, whether I was subject to passive smoking etc. Therefore it's hard to tell you, personally, how well you have to do.
    The only thing you can do is go and do it, don't get worked up about it, and if you don't have any problems you'll get through fine. If you fail, it's because you've got a problem that makes you unsuitable for life in the army. It's a cnut, but that's just the way it is.

Good luck on selection :D.

3. Cheers for the reply matey. So myself confessing to the occasional fag and having a few smoking pals all affect what I must get, is there any other stuff? technology these days hey. pretty sure i dont have any worries, i can breath (just).

4. I think if you're working on cardiovascular fitness that will help (although that's just an educated guess), because you do ten minutes on an exercise bike and do a repeat test after that to see how much your breathing has changed. If you've done your best to get fit, it won't change much and you'll have more chance of passing (I assume)!

5. I think the only way you can fail the test is if the pressure at which your breathing out at at the end after the exercise is consistently lower than that of which you get before the exercise.

It's not big deal anyway mate...all the best.

6. wow avoided this for a while. i was fine thankyou everyone and i managed to forget i was a member of the site as daft as it sounds.

7. I done the LFT at selection and that's all they were concerned about. it's how you maintain your breath flow and use every last bit of air in your lungs that determines whether you pass or not.

8. It's a big deal if you don't pass it within 8 go's! I struggled to pass within 6 but that was because I stupidly smoked the night before and I'm only a social smoker. My advice would be not to smoke for at least a week to clear your lungs.

9. yeh it were right easy trust me, the lads that fail must not be physically fit in the first place and shouldn't even be on selection

10. I nearly failed the c*nt. I'd get practicing on a bike before you do it aswell it was murder for me when i did it because I wasnt use to cycling