Lumps of meat to the crocodile...

OK, OK, OK. Previous incidents as we all know used "unsporting" weapons such as semi-auto fullbore rifles and handguns and some of the more holier-than-thou types into hunting were all too happy to see the outlawing of weapons that they don't use, especially if they thought it would protect the ones that they do.

Anyway, I had often wondered about how they would tackle defending their sport after an incident in which "sporting" firearms were used - and it looks like they'll clutch at anything they can...hence this piece in the Telegraph:

David Cameron is right that we can’t legislate for mad men and that there shouldn’t be a kneejerk reaction to Derrick Bird’s murder spree. But there’s no getting away from the simple fact that a taxi driver living in a mid-terrace house in a not very rural English village has no business keeping a shotgun and .22 rifle.
guns for me not for you

Funny, I was thinking about getting back into shooting after finding a clayground 25 minutes cycle ride from where I live. I live in a town though - don't think I'll bother...

I used to use an air rifle against the crocs on the Limpopo. When I ran out of pellets, my catapult came into action. I got a hippo or two too.

Well, it passed a slow Sunday afternoon.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Living in a big fcuk off house in the Countryside, with many acres of land, I quite agree.

We can't have the peasants starting an uprising now can we?

I see that the journalist, Richard Preston, is maintaining that profession's skill of talking round things about subjects of which they are almost completely ignorant e.g. :

"We may have some of the strictest gun laws in the world but they’re not strict enough if the police can’t say: actually, you don’t need guns and we’re sorry but you can’t have them. Everything else, including the fact that he turns out to have had a criminal record, is secondary to that."

That is exactly what the law allows. The police can say exactly that. If one cant convice the police that one has a good reason one does not get an FAC . Simples!

Any criminal record is also taken into account including a sentence of three years or more resulting in a ban for life.

What a Maroon (Bugs Bunny)

that's ignorant and patronising
feel like going and battering the git with a several rolled up copys of the morning star :twisted:

Its the usual load of idiots pontificating on gun ownership! I noticed after the Cumbrian incident that there were SEVERAL reported shootings in London over the weekend! see:- http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...oad-East-London/Article/201005415640263?f=rss Were these commited with legally owned firearms? I very much doubt it! Since the banning of pistols & semi automatic rifles there has actually been an increase in firearms offences, not by individuals who have legally owned weapons but by criminals who dont give a stuff for the law! So all the kneejerk handwringing wont make a blind bit of difference, if a nutter goes on the rampage a kitchen knife or cleaver can be just as deadly, As in the case in Wolverhampton in 1996 and several attacks in china see:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-eighth-child-stabbing-attack-in-a-month.html

brighton hippy said:
feel like going and battering the git with a several rolled up copys of the morning star :twisted:
Just shoot the fcuker!

Jimmy_Green said:
brighton hippy said:
Just shoot the fcuker!
to be fair he'd probably starve before I hit him :oops:

plus battering him with rolled up newspapers would be ironic

brighton hippy said:
Jimmy_Green said:
Just shoot the fcuker!
to be fair he'd probably starve before I hit him :oops:

plus battering him with rolled up newspapers would be ironic
But not as ironic as blatting him with a couple of magazines.

brighton hippy said:
that's ignorant and patronising
he 'ain't the only one: there's a gunshop in Brighton - you might know it. I was in there a few years ago and overheard one of the staff tell customers that they banned handguns because they were easier for criminals to use in robberies.

ugly

LE
Nowt like real ignorance is there, anyone catch the front page of the scum this morning?

living here in sunny queensland, the knee jerk reaction centre of the universe, once you travel into the countryside not even the outback, the amount and variation of weapons in use for hunting is scary 8) just after I arrived here there was the tragedy in tasmania so automatic weapons were banned, at the amnesty weapons return in our little township, the weapon of choice seemed to be the AK whether chinese or russian, an astounding number of SMGs were also returned, but an old pig hunter took first prize he had twin belt fed batterypowered machine guns mounted on the steel re enforced roof of his holden ute, he got upset when they cut the roof off his ute.the mind boggles at some of the weapons that turn upat the local gunclub on sunday mornings for freeshoot, it seems pauline hansons militia are still going strong in country queensland :p

ugly

LE
The view in Canada;
Media Release

Canada’s National Firearms Association

For Immediate Release 3 June 2010

Prince George, BC – “The suicidal mass shooting spree by Derrick Bird that killed 12 people and wounded another 25, in the northwest of England on Wednesday, is yet another example of the failure of firearm control laws when faced with evil intentions and insane action,” said Sheldon Clare, President of Canada’s National Firearms Association. “Those who would cause mayhem will continue to do so regardless of the law,” he continued. “While mass shootings by individuals are fortunately rare in all jurisdictions, those in Britain have occurred regardless of the strict controls in place. Banning handguns and restricting access to other firearms does not prevent violence and it does not reduce suicides. The research is clear that persons with evil intent substitute other methods to carry out their acts. In this case the law mattered little to a person bent on senseless violence and destruction.”

“The British have suffered from successive waves of draconian gun control over the past several decades in the wake of a number of high-profile shootings committed by individual gunmen who later proved to have long histories of mental illness. Those measures included a complete ban on civilian handgun ownership in the United Kingdom, and the instituting of excessive limitations on the legal ownership of long guns. As the latest act of madness carried out in the idyllic environs of Cumbria proves, you cannot legislate against mental illness. Instead of addressing the root causes of these types of senseless acts, via increased access to mental health care resources for troubled individuals; the flawed official response following two mass U.K. shootings, in 1987 and 1996, has been to increase controls on the law-abiding firearms-owning public. Such initiatives have not and will not prevent such tragedies. Targeting the law-abiding does not work. The research is clear: Canadians who own firearms, for instance, are less than half as likely as the general population to commit an act of violence,” explained Clare.

Clare stated, “An expensive registration and licensing program is not the answer to prevent violence with firearms - these bad laws have not stopped violent acts and they never will. When confronted with a bad person with a firearm, the logical response is to either use your own in defence, or to call someone with a gun to defend you. At Dawson College a rampage was stopped by the fortunate presence of someone with a firearm – in that case a peace officer. Britain made the choice to severely restrict firearms ownership – a choice that has not worked. People there have no access to the means to defend themselves from this sort of violence. Terrible crimes like that in Great Britain are only preventable through education and better access to health care for troubled people and their families and friends.”

Canada’s National Firearms Association is this country’s main advocacy organization supporting firearms ownership, recreational and competitive shooting disciplines, and self defence. The NFA lobbies governments for fair firearms legislation, supports legal action against unfair firearms law and promotes the repeal of unfair firearms legislation. Contact Canada’s National Firearms Association at 1-877-818-0393, or on the web at www.nfa.ca

-30-

don't actually think the shop sells any fire arms these days just air guns and deacts.
has a huge maxim gun in the window so not all bad :twisted: