Luftwaffe invited to take part in Battle of Britain Flypast

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by POGscribbler, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will the SS be invited to next years rememberence parade in Whitehall?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Oh come on, Scooby. Not all Germans were SS.

The Luftwaffe, in the most part, held to an honourable code. Remembrance too, should be for all the fallen and to that end, I have no difficulty with this.

3. Good idea, forgiveness and all. Wonder if they'd invite us to a flypast over Dresden?

4. don't see an issue,when we were in Germany, reguarly held do's with the old boys from the Afrika Korps and they were great.

They gaves us a plaque for the bar...usual AK thing with palm tress and underneath was inscibed "enemies of yesterday, friends of today"

5. Seems only fair to me as they were involved in the original. Do the Germans have a BBMF?

6. no problem either

7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I believe they lost more men than we did. They are no longer the enemy, no reason why they shouldn't be there.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No problem either. Its not like in the summer of 1940 any of the nastiness of the regime that was to come was in effect.

There's more than a few old boys who have managed to get over it, who are we to judge today?

9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

No Stukas!!And if its to commemorate the battle of Britain then dropping a few BF-109s and the odd FW-192 into the channel would be fitting.

God bless Mr Mitchell we might have been a bit fcuked without his cleverness.

10. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Is this going to be a rehash of the "Trafalgar 200" events ?

Will we have Red and Blue Air Forces in lieu of the RAF & Luftwaffe ?

11. Why not? After all, without the Luftwaffe there would'nt have been anything to celebrate in the first place! :D

I'll get my coat if someone will call for a taxi... :oops:

12. No reason why the runner's up shouldn't take part. The difficulty will be persuading the Italians to turn up, haha!

13. And which side to fly with :D

14. Yeah, after the East-End has been covered, they could do a nice flight over Southampton, Plymouth, Coventry, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Hull and Coventry? Yes I know I listed Coventry twice, I figured they like Coventry – give the citizens two chances to show their appreciation as well ;)

If they want to attend, have them do it on foot. Let them march up The Strand to St. Clement Danes, then crawl on their bellies past Hugh Dowding while chanting ”I am not worthy”.

No.9