• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Luftwaffe invited to take part in Battle of Britain Flypast

Oh come on, Scooby. Not all Germans were SS.

The Luftwaffe, in the most part, held to an honourable code. Remembrance too, should be for all the fallen and to that end, I have no difficulty with this.

B

blindfire

don't see an issue,when we were in Germany, reguarly held do's with the old boys from the Afrika Korps and they were great.

They gaves us a plaque for the bar...usual AK thing with palm tress and underneath was inscibed "enemies of yesterday, friends of today"

No problem either. Its not like in the summer of 1940 any of the nastiness of the regime that was to come was in effect.

There's more than a few old boys who have managed to get over it, who are we to judge today?

No Stukas!!And if its to commemorate the battle of Britain then dropping a few BF-109s and the odd FW-192 into the channel would be fitting.

God bless Mr Mitchell we might have been a bit fcuked without his cleverness.

Why not? After all, without the Luftwaffe there would'nt have been anything to celebrate in the first place! :D

I'll get my coat if someone will call for a taxi... :oops:

Yeah, after the East-End has been covered, they could do a nice flight over Southampton, Plymouth, Coventry, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Hull and Coventry? Yes I know I listed Coventry twice, I figured they like Coventry – give the citizens two chances to show their appreciation as well ;)

If they want to attend, have them do it on foot. Let them march up The Strand to St. Clement Danes, then crawl on their bellies past Hugh Dowding while chanting ”I am not worthy”.

No.9

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Older people, who know how many lives were destroyed and disrupted by the Luftwaffe might (I do) see this as an insupportable insult. This is an utter case of false equivalence between those who strove, at vast cost, for a world of freedom, justice and the rule of law, and those whose massive energy was devoted to the totally evil end of plunging the whole world into a thousand-year Nazi night.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
seaweed said:
Older people, who know how many lives were destroyed and disrupted by the Luftwaffe might (I do) see this as an insupportable insult. This is an utter case of false equivalence between those who strove, at vast cost, for a world of freedom, justice and the rule of law, and those whose massive energy was devoted to the totally evil end of plunging the whole world into a thousand-year Nazi night.
Look, we voted them in, so . . . . . oh, right, you mean the germins!

Good drills I say. If the Irish are big enough to invite British troops to the centenary of the 1916 uprising there's no reason why we can't host the Luftwaffe.

I agree some might find it offensive or in poor taste, but speaking to the guys in the RBL club most were happy to see a combined display as it would be educational for people to see something other than the B.O.B Spitfire and Hurricane.

Only one had a negative opinion of the idea, disliking the thought of the aircraft markings making an appearance more than anything else.

Latest Threads