Ludicrous but frightening.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=561762&in_page_id=1770

Strangely for someone who was brought up in post-war years, and has supported authority all their life, I now find myself with feelings akin to anarchy.
    She added: "I had just picked up Chloe from nursery. We were both hungry so I got us a sausage roll to share.

"I had a bite and then bent down to give a bit to Chloe, who was on her bike.

"A tiny bit missed her mouth and fell on the floor and seconds later some pigeons flew down and grabbed it.

"I crossed the road and was approached by two men. I thought they were canvassers because they were dressed in tracksuit bottoms.

"But one came up to me, said he was from the council and said I was going to be fined for dropping litter.

"He wasn't polite at all - he was rude, and I began to walk away.

"He then said I would be arrested if I didn't give him my name and details and started reading me my rights on the street.

"I felt really small and humiliated. I was treated like I was a criminal."

She added: "Where is the common sense? It was a small, bite-sized piece - just big enough for Chloe's mouth.

"I went back to take a picture of the litter, but it had been gobbled by pigeons. There was no litter there at all."

The incident happened in Hull city centre on Monday and the fine arrived in the post yesterday.

Miss Davies, who lives with her mother Wendy, 44, said: "I just can't pay out £75 for this, I have to live on benefits of £94 a week.

"The letter says I must pay within 14 days, but I haven't got the money. I would be prepared to go to court.

"I agree that people should not drop litter, but I was not dropping litter. I was just feeding my daughter, who likes sausage rolls.

"It affected her as well. She came to me after it had happened and said, 'Mummy, I was scared when those men came up to me'. It's just not right."

I find this situation totally ridiculous, not to say worrying. Like most servicemen, I abhor litter, having been trained to accept that what is dropped may cause serious and possibly fatal consequences (harbour discipline). But, in this case does anyone else think the zealots have taken over? And is it not worrying that any number of people, including bin men, can cause one to have a criminal record for the most piddling of things?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Come on, if you were a council zealot, would you rather bully a young woman and a small child over a piece of sausage roll, or confront a large group of drug users and dealers using a broken down house, causing disturbance all night and intimidation to neighbours?

Keep up, ofnh!

3. Truly ridiculous. You know what they say, all the bad things in life boil down to 'Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls'.

4. So there is no evidence of littering because the birds ate it?

no evidence = no case. case closed M'Lud.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Personally, I would have slapped the little minx for getting mummy in trouble!

6. very good wishful.

7. Jeesus, what next? If I sneeze, if I don't stop it hitting the pavement will I be guilty of littering?
    I despair of what this country has become.

8. Only £75, what a lucky woman!! Still there does seem to be a common trend of find the easy target in all areas of enforcement.

9. Thank you sweetie. I'm here all next week too! You lucky lot!!! :wink:

10. What are they planning to do if she refused to give them her name and address?

Call a police community support officer to give her a ticking off?

If it was a couple of chavs they would no doubt have given the standard reply of "**** off!" and that would have been the end of it.

11. Perhaps one of the arrse rozzers can confirm this but as far as I know these council knob ends have no powers of arrest so what is there to stop some one from walking away from them? Can they physically restrain a member of the public or would that be seen as false imprisonment? It sems like they are relying on bullying tactics to obtain personal details.

I think I will have a false driving licence made up in the name of Fuk Yu...

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Since they appear to be wearing the uniform of tracksuits, it would behove them to carry some form of i.d I would strongly caution anyone not to give out personal details to people who are not entitled to ask. Although it now seems that just about anyone has power to demand details now.

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Now that would have been good . . . she gets read her rights and then handcuffed before being marched off to the cop-shop with social services being called in!

Imagine the outcry.

What is needed is the names of the two cokcs who threatened her - that would be a good thing.

14. I find it quite astounding that a woman, alone with a child, was willing to give her name and address to two strange men dressed in tracksuit bottoms! Even if they are council workers you just wouldn't give your name and address to them ... they could still be burglars, thieves or rapists!

Not to detract from the absurdity of the case in anyway of course.

15. What I want to know what they could arrest her for? Is littering an indictable offence? If it isnt, then any attempt to place her under 'citizen's arrest' would be unlawful, and would put the litter nazis into a lot of trouble.