Lt Timothy Wray (RE)

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by jim4244, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning chaps

Was wondering through a chuch yard at the weekend (sad ex Bootie eh?) when I came across a grave stone. The name on the stone was "Lt Timothy Wray (RE) 1952 - 1974"

It would appear to be the only Servicemans grave in the church yard, and as the guy would have only been 22 years old at the time of his demise I wondered if it was Operational related?

Anyone know of this chap or how he passed away?

2. If you were to ask at the IWM in London, they have the facility to check I believe.

I cannot remember a Lt Wray of any particular note killed in recent (well, relatively) conflict
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a MOD casualty office that can let you know. They sorted me out for the locations of mates graves post NI!
    Dont bug the IWM as they are not there for that, if its WW2 or earlier then Commonwealth War Graves after WW2 then its the MOD Casualty people.
  4. Guys, thanks the above advice.

I should have explained things in more detail - The grave is not a military grave, it is a family one, which is shared by the parents.

Timothy Wray passed away before both his mother and father, and it is only the fact that his inscription reads "Lt Timothy Wray (RE)" that gives any clue that he was in the Army. Working on his age at time of death (22 years old in 1974) I think that it is a fair assumption that he was still serving, I was just trying to find out if he lost his life as a result of Operations as opposed to illness or RTA etc.

As the grave is a family one I don't know if it would be classed as a "War grave" as such?

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

regardless of war grave or not the casualty section should have it on record. One of the lads I served with murdered in Belfast by a bomb and shares a plot with his mother! The cas lads sorted out all the details for me short of a grid reference.
  6. Would they actually give me details of the events surrounding his death?

The reason I'm interested in this, is that if this lad did die in the line of duty then I would like to try to get his details placed on the war memorial, which is also in the same church yard.

I've been out of the RM for coming up 17 years now, but feel really strongly when servicemen and women do not get the recognition that the deserve.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Getting names on the war memorial is difficult. That now I beleive falls under CWGC and they only really do the big 2. If there is a space or column marked Killed on Operations after WW2 then you have a chance, otherwise he should end up on the National memorial at Alrewas!
    They may have the details of his death but they may require that from you to prove connection in anyway?
    They were helpful and I dont recall handing over my Army number or any details beyond I served with!
  8. The war memorial at Oban lists a Marine killed in the Falklands. 18 years old as I recall. The war memorial in Stone, Staffordshire has a soldier killed in GW1 if my memory serves.

Why shouldn't towns and villages continue to add names to local war memorials?
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

100% in agreement, just pointing out historical problems. maybe the memorials were raised to honour our lost from certain conflicts and usually by some sort of private donation/public subscription and the rules or even size then may preclude adding names later.
    It seems a pity that the local village memorial where I grew up didnt carry the Korean war dead or the Malayan and Borneo lot, there must have been some!
  10. I'd always assumed that the paucity of names after WWII was because statistically there weren't large numbers of casualties. I always remove headgear when passing a war memorial and try to read all the names if I can.

Doesn't RBL have a position on this?
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not sure about RBL policy but if it is stuck in the past it needs updating. here in Gods waiting room the cenotaph bears no names. They are all engraved on oak panels in the halls of the town hall. I remember similar stuff in long block in peninsula bks.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good link there, I couldnt find out about him
  13. Interesting points. Local Councils are the legal authority for public war memorials. I've been aware of names from post-war conflicts being added to war memorials in Scotland, without any difficulty or controversy.

It may take someone outside the Council, eg RHQ or the family or RBL, to take the initiative and ask for a name to be added. Local authorities will understandably not wish to add names on their own say-so unless the deceased's local connection is clear: ironically, a similar issue to that encountered in electoral registration, and homeless persons legislation - "social housing discrimination".
  14. The town council in Welshpool refused to add the name of a local lad killed on Telic as they said he wasnt killed in a war. They also refused to have the town hall flag at halfmast, however whenever one of those pr1cks croaks it the flag is lowered.